General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

My Bro's foot after trarrantula bite

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 12:28 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

flipping hell steve!

i know the chap that has got the uk's biggest collection of deadly snakes,, and he got bitten about 8 months ago and his hand still isnt right
lives in a terrest house in the rhodda valleys aswell
Old 05-01-2007, 12:47 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fook those things, spiders and snakes should be left in their own countries Dont ind UK Spiders as they dont hurt you like those bastards
Old 05-01-2007, 01:01 PM
Brian
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

looks nasty

Brian
Old 05-01-2007, 01:04 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by Rhys
Fook those things, spiders and snakes should be left in their own countries Dont ind UK Spiders as they dont hurt you like those bastards
a daddy longlegs is more poisonous than that tarantula
Old 05-01-2007, 01:07 PM
POPEYE
FAIRY CAKE

thats very true gareth aswell
i think its the most poisonous spider full stop. its just that the fooker aint got fangs big enough to bite a human
Old 05-01-2007, 01:26 PM
POPEYE
FAIRY CAKE

ps, its also just an urban myth
Old 05-01-2007, 01:46 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

PMSL no it isnt Didnt you see that Mythbusters episode Gareth?

Pops you had anything weird crawl in your house yet. Apart from the usual
Old 05-01-2007, 02:00 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

doh,, i didnt know it was a myth
Old 05-01-2007, 02:06 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

yeah pops, watch out for menaces in the dunny (and not just the ones that you drop in there)
Old 05-01-2007, 02:13 PM
A9X SJ
Virgin

Oft What A Numpty
Old 05-01-2007, 02:31 PM
POPEYE
FAIRY CAKE

not really rhys, not had any huntmans at all at our place, but then its a brand new place, and tbh i have only seen one since being here, was like 2 inches away from my face wen someone pointed the fucker out to me,lol
they wont hurt you anyway, may give you a belly ache but thats it.

its when you go on jobs and they tell you we dug up a load of red backs,so watch out for them. your like fook that.you just have to not think about them really, well i dont as im scared shitless of the fookers

brother had it today, wouldnt like his job at times, he has to go under houses to run power cables. the one he went to today the builder warned him that there has been funnel webs spotted under there, but hes ok if you kill them . but dont try and kill the brown snakes , its illegal

fook the spiders its the snakes you have to worry about
Old 05-01-2007, 02:49 PM
fezzajsy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

that looks fooking bad...
Old 05-01-2007, 02:49 PM
RST
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Old 05-01-2007, 02:50 PM
AlexD
Post Miester !

Old 05-01-2007, 03:02 PM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Default spider bite

Any kind of big insect or arachnid bite needs medical attention sooner rather than later lesson learnt here on this occassion,

That looks fooking sore

Luciano
Old 05-01-2007, 03:02 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by GARETH T
hahahah have you watched Ricky Gervais Animals by any chance?!?!?

Old 05-01-2007, 03:57 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

I had a similar thing on my shin... fell on some Coral in Thailand, Was just a tiny little cut.... But I almost lost my lower leg as the bone got infected because I left it so long as well

You would be surprised how easy it is to leave something. Because you look at it all the time you don't realise how bad its getting.. I just kept putting more and Savlon on it and a bigger and bigger bandage! . After 2 weeks I showed my mate at work and he said go to hospital NOW!

I popped along to London Bridge hospital at lunch time thinking they would just give me some pills or a better bandage! BUT I was soon warned I could loose my leg and was kept in for 2 weeks

I SHIT MY PANTS

Felt a bit Stoopid
Old 05-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats fookin nasty!
Old 05-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

I popped along to London Bridge hospital
dont you need like BUPA SUPER-MEGA-PLATINUM-ULTRA membership to just "pop along" to there
Old 05-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Dave Parker
Advanced PassionFord User

im sorry but that would only bite me once

Old 05-01-2007, 04:47 PM
NUTTIN RILLA
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by vroooom ptssssh
NUTTIN RILLA,

Quality

Foot looks VERY sore, he's a silly boy!!

PMSL

I can hear him now
Old 05-01-2007, 04:48 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by Porkie
Originally Posted by GARETH T
hahahah have you watched Ricky Gervais Animals by any chance?!?!?

i havent,, i guess he makes a joke about it?
Old 05-01-2007, 07:03 PM
Mark B

Get the pic sent into nuts an you could win a grand, worth a try.

Looks fucking grim tho, did he say if it was sore when he was bit?
Old 05-01-2007, 07:28 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Porkie
I had a similar thing on my shin... fell on some Coral in Thailand, Was just a tiny little cut.... But I almost lost my lower leg as the bone got infected because I left it so long as well

You would be surprised how easy it is to leave something. Because you look at it all the time you don't realise how bad its getting.. I just kept putting more and Savlon on it and a bigger and bigger bandage! . After 2 weeks I showed my mate at work and he said go to hospital NOW!

I popped along to London Bridge hospital at lunch time thinking they would just give me some pills or a better bandage! BUT I was soon warned I could loose my leg and was kept in for 2 weeks

I SHIT MY PANTS

Felt a bit Stoopid
Damn Sorry for sounding stoopid but what does Coral have in it that nearly made you loose your leg mate?
Old 05-01-2007, 07:34 PM
H15 FSC
PassionFord Regular

thought thats why we havnt got killer spiders cause the daddy long legs eat them.
shit myself when i seen that girl holding that dinner plate eating spider
Old 05-01-2007, 08:03 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar wound when i was comparing my cock size next to an adder....i think the barstard was jealous
Old 05-01-2007, 10:59 PM
tracktoy

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

not good that steve

Originally Posted by Bosch-Man
I had a similar wound when i was comparing my cock size next to an adder....i think the barstard was jealous
in fairness mate, an adder aint gonna have a very big dick is it
Old 05-01-2007, 11:08 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Fuck me What a coont for not telling anyone/doing anything about it for a week Muppet

But as with other posters - I don't get why people keep poisonous spiders as pets! Okay, I cn understand keeping spiders as pets (not me, hate the eight-legged freaky fuckers Don't trust anything with more eyes than me ) but why not get em de-poison'ed? Then they don't pocess a health risk, and should you get bit, it no worse than a cat bite etc.... If it had been de-poison'ed (i don't know the real word for this lol, and it's too late to look it up) then at worst he'd have had two nice puncture wounds and a swollen foot for a few days till the bruising went down....

What did he do to get bitten tho? Generally, spiders don't bite unless a) they are starving, or b) provoked... They ain't all like the ones in the film Aracnaphoibia, just going around biting for no reason And how in the fuck did he not nitce the coont crawling up his foot? Daft cunt
Old 05-01-2007, 11:21 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

thats pretty bad.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:23 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

PMSL no it isnt Didnt you see that Mythbusters episode Gareth?

Pops you had anything weird crawl in your house yet. Apart from the usual
It is a myth... The crane fly is the aracnid that is commonly mistaken as a "Daddy Long Legs" is often referred to as "the worlds most poisonous spider" and that it can't bite people as "it's teeth are too soft". 1) the crane fly is NOT a daddy long legs, and isn't a true aracnid anyway. It is also not venomous. It's not even the correct species for this myth anyway, just shows how much this myth is incorrect

The "real" daddy long legs stems from two species of aracnid - Opiliones. They are characterized by having one basic body segment which shows segmentation on the posterior portion, at most 2 eyes and all 8 legs attach to the pill-like body segment. They are usually found under logs and rocks, prefer moist habitat although they can be found in the desert, often have long flexible legs (in the temperate Northern hemisphere but there are also short-legged daddy-longlegs) and they do not produce silk so therefore they are never found in webs unless they are being eaten by spiders. Because they are found under logs and other stuff which people most often are not turning over, most folks don't run into daddy-longlegs very often.

Second is another creature often called daddy-longlegs are actually spiders. These long-legged spiders are in the family Pholcidae. Previously the common name of this family was the cellar spiders but arachnologists have also given them the moniker of "daddy-longlegs spiders" because of the confusion generated by the general public. Because these arachnids are spiders, they have 2 body basic body parts (cephalothorax and abdomen), have 8 eyes most often clumped together in the front of the body, the abdomen shows no evidence of segmentation, have 8 legs all attached to the front most body part (the cephalothorax) and make webs out of silk. This is most probably the animal to which people refer when they tell the tale because these spiders are plentiful especially in cellars (hence their common name) and are commonly seen by the general public. The most common pholcid spiders found in U.S. homes are both European immigrants. Pholcus phalangioides is a uniformly grey spider with rectangular, elongate abdomen and is found throughout the U.S. Holocnemus pluchei also has a rectangular, elongate abdomen but has a brown stripe on the ventral side (the belly side - which is typically directed upwards since the spider hangs upside down in its web) which covers its sternum and is a stripe on the abdomen. These spiders are very common along the Pacific Coast. and into the southwest deserts.

So is the myth true?

Daddy-longlegs (Opiliones) - these arachnids make their living by eating decomposing vegetative and animal matter although are opportunist predators if they can get away with it. They do not have venom glands, fangs or any other mechanism for chemically subduing their food. Therefore, they do not have poison and, by the powers of logic, cannot be poisonous from venom. Some have defensive secretions that might be poisonous to small animals if ingested. So, for these daddy-long-legs, the tale is clearly false.

Daddy-longlegs spiders (Pholcidae) - Here, the myth is incorrect at least in making claims that have no basis in known facts. There is no reference to any pholcid spider biting a human and causing any detrimental reaction. If these spiders were indeed deadly poisonous but couldn't bite humans, then the only way we would know that they are poisonous is by milking them and injecting the venom into humans. For a variety of reasons including Amnesty International and a humanitarian code of ethics, this research has never been done. Furthermore, there are no toxicological studies testing the lethality of pholcid venom on any mammalian system (this is usually done with mice). Therefore, no information is available on the likely toxic effects of their venom in humans, so the part of the myth about their being especially poisonous is just that: a myth. There is no scientific basis for the supposition that they are deadly poisonous and there is no reason to assume that it is true.

What about their fangs being too short to penetrate human skin? Pholcids do indeed have short fangs, which in arachnological terms is called "uncate" because they have a secondary tooth which meets the fang like the way the two grabbing parts of a pair of tongs come together. Brown recluse spiders similarly have uncate fang structure and they obviously are able to bite humans, and around three deaths per year are caused to humans (mainly infants) by the Brown Recluse (which indeed is a true member of the "most poisonous spiders in the world" club). There may be a difference in the musculature that houses the fang such that recluses have stronger muscles for penetration because they are hunting spiders needing to subdue prey whereas pholcid spiders are able to wrap their prey and don't need as strong a musculature. So, again, the myth states as fact something about which there is no scientific basis.

In summary
For true daddy-long-legs, the opilionids, the myth is certainly false, and for the daddy-long-legs spiders it is certainly not based on known facts.

(source : University of California, Department of Entomology - these are clever boffin people, so I tend to agree with what they say )
Old 05-01-2007, 11:24 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

looks like he's dipped a few rounds of bread in there

no wonder its manky

Old 05-01-2007, 11:29 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

There well known for it mate.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:33 AM
cossiecrew
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Thrush
Fuck me What a coont for not telling anyone/doing anything about it for a week Muppet

But as with other posters - I don't get why people keep poisonous spiders as pets! Okay, I cn understand keeping spiders as pets (not me, hate the eight-legged freaky fuckers Don't trust anything with more eyes than me ) but why not get em de-poison'ed? Then they don't pocess a health risk, and should you get bit, it no worse than a cat bite etc.... If it had been de-poison'ed (i don't know the real word for this lol, and it's too late to look it up) then at worst he'd have had two nice puncture wounds and a swollen foot for a few days till the bruising went down....

What did he do to get bitten tho? Generally, spiders don't bite unless a) they are starving, or b) provoked... They ain't all like the ones in the film Aracnaphoibia, just going around biting for no reason And how in the fuck did he not nitce the coont crawling up his foot? Daft cunt
venomous snakes,spiders etc etc are born with venom glands if it wasnt supposed to be there then it wouldnt of in the first place so why just not own them rather than get them modified
Old 06-01-2007, 10:26 AM
SteveW
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark B
Get the pic sent into nuts an you could win a grand, worth a try.

Looks fucking grim tho, did he say if it was sore when he was bit?
Wasnt sore when he was bitten, got worried when it turned black. cant believe how dull he is, must have something to do with me slapping him about when he was younger
Old 06-01-2007, 10:29 AM
SteveW

He was supposed to be watching them whilst they were out of the tank, instead he was playing on a ps2, moved his foot and must have kicked the spider or moved to close it felt threatened.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:47 AM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Wishfull thinking

Luciano
Old 06-01-2007, 11:51 AM
fatboy billy

Received 64 Likes on 58 Posts

ouch that looks nasty
Old 06-01-2007, 01:07 PM
Drunken Master

Looks painful, can't see how thats the same as a wasp sting!
Old 06-01-2007, 01:09 PM
_DAN_
Yoon

Originally Posted by SteveW

He was supposed to be watching them whilst they were out of the tank, instead he was playing on a ps2, moved his foot and must have kicked the spider or moved to close it felt threatened.
So the 'thing' was on the loose in the house.

FUCK THAT!
Old 06-01-2007, 02:09 PM
SteveW

So the 'thing' was on the loose in the house.

FUCK THAT! [/quote]

Yep, all 4 of them

Quick Reply: My Bro's foot after trarrantula bite