General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

MSD closed loop

Search this Thread

Old 30-12-2006, 04:45 PM
Paul_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Default MSD closed loop

Just looking some info on MSD's closed loop conversion. Why exactly is involved in it? Is it a DIY job or does the car have to be taken to Stu to get it done?
Old 30-12-2006, 04:57 PM
banhambuilt
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ditto

i am intrested in doing this conversion on the rs200

dave
Old 30-12-2006, 06:29 PM
col cos1
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive bought one of stus chips and lambda sensor to put in mine with a level 8 i have,im going to put it all in next week,il let you all know how i get on
Old 30-12-2006, 06:33 PM
Paul_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

That would be great!!!

Out of interest, how much is it for the kit?
Old 30-12-2006, 06:38 PM
col cos1
BANNED
BANNED

depends what injectors your running,his starting price for his the chip on ebay is cheaper than the mail order price thats how i got mine,give it a bash....cant remember how much it was exactly but he done me a good deal
Old 30-12-2006, 10:41 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I have just fitted one that I bought from stu, and it is an absolute doddle to fit, and well well worth it!

Basically, the closed loop bit sits between the daughter board, and the chip, which is nice and easy to fit (providing you know how to handle chips etc).

The only slightly tricky bit is that the daughter board needs to be trimmed to make room for the extra bit.

Once this is done, you need to get a boss put into your zorst pipe (if you dont already have one). Run a wire from there to the ecu and add an extra pin to the loom - very very easy, but free advice - make sure that the wire is fixed to the new pin before you clip it in - the clips are a bitch to get out if you havent got a wire connected to it.

Then fit lambda sensor (also needs an earth and power supply for heater).

Then hey presto - pretty much done. Car now runs like a swiss watch. Unbelievable difference.

For reference, the car is a 2wd Cossie that was running on a L6, which I have changed over to L8.

Hope this helps!

JJ
Old 30-12-2006, 10:48 PM
Paul_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Good excuse to upgrade to bigger injectors as well!

Are instuctions supplied on where to earth and power the lambda from? What wire goes to what pin etc etc?

Have you noticed much difference in economy?
Old 30-12-2006, 11:02 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by rs nutter
Good excuse to upgrade to bigger injectors as well!

Are instuctions supplied on where to earth and power the lambda from? What wire goes to what pin etc etc?

Have you noticed much difference in economy?
Instructions are fool proof.

As far as earth is concerned, it can be anywhere on the metal work that is good (many use ones used already b y car eg lighting earths). I used one I had put on the inner wing for mounting the boost controller solenoids I fitted.

I think stu recommends usign the wiper motor power circuit for the supply, though I already had provided one for my wide band sensor and piggy backed this one.

The pin position is in the instructions, and it is an empty hole prior to fitment, which makes it very easy indeed.

Ref economy, to be honest, I have done the same as you are thinking, and put bigger injectors in. I have been driving it like a total twat, so cant really comment on the economy. I suspect it is much better, and generally the car behaves an awful lot better.

I would suggest that this is one of those conversions that you end up wondering why you havent done way before now!!!

JJ
Old 30-12-2006, 11:57 PM
Ian M
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

ok i didnt diy my conversion as when i had it done 2 1/2 + years ago there was no off the shelf chips for greys.

that said i know how stu operates and if it was difficult he wouldnt let it be done diy to protect customers.

what i will say is, its the best conversion you can do on a cosworth. L8 closed loop drives superb on or off boost and is very good on fuel whilst running in the closed loop parameters.

Do it !!! you will be very impressed.
Old 31-12-2006, 09:36 AM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Fantastic conversion, best money you will spend on a chip IMHO.

MSD will re-open on January the 8th 2007 - get in touch with the boys after that date
Old 31-12-2006, 10:36 AM
DENNIS

can a one chip fits all ( on injector rating ) be as good as a live map ????

i have been looking into this conversion, my car has been live mapped on greys and runs sweet as. thing is, its on greys so as most of you will know you have to plan your trip via fuel stations lol !!!

i also have anti lag, wasted spark ect ect

got told by stu on here that he can do it, but when i phoned to order one ( after lots of should i / shouldn't`t i ) got told by the bloke on the phone that it cant be used on cars with ALS !!!
Old 31-12-2006, 10:43 AM
crash_ash
Part of the Furniture

does the closed loop operate at idle, as my car doesn't idle correctly unless the co is at about 4% ( i have to wind it down for MOT and it's not happy, stalling etc).
Also is ut possible to use the original loom, i've got an early 4x4 and there's a Triangular 3 pin plug thats not connected to anything, it comes out of the ecu loom and down the side of the master cylinder and stops next to the exhaust manifold, i presume thats the oxygen sensor cable?
Old 31-12-2006, 11:00 AM
Andreas
PassionFord Post Whore!!

crash_ash: Yes, thats the lambda sensor plug.
Old 31-12-2006, 11:21 AM
Ian M

crash ash,
yes closed loop works at idle, upto 3800 rpm infact. mine runs at 0.6% co at idle perfectly.
Old 31-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

ECU stays in closed loop mode untill one or more of the following conditions is exceeded:

throttle opened more than 35%
engine speed more than 3800rpm
boost pressure more than 4psi

So basically, when cruising along at 75mph, none of them conditions are met, ecu is operating in closed loop condition, and fuel consumption is nice and low, as are emissions and extractions from your wallet
Old 31-12-2006, 12:01 PM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

Originally Posted by Graceland
ECU stays in closed loop mode untill one or more of the following conditions is exceeded:

So basically, when cruising along at 75mph, none of them conditions are met, ecu is operating in closed loop condition, and fuel consumption is nice and low, as are emissions and extractions from your wallet
.....this is why it wouldn't work for me.....lol .....perfect fuel econamy for me is taking our lasses car......
Old 31-12-2006, 01:55 PM
Paul_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Are all the MSD chip closed loop? One bought a few months ago, would it have it incorporated already?
Old 31-12-2006, 03:51 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by pete mcrash
Originally Posted by Graceland

.....this is why it wouldn't work for me.....lol .....perfect fuel econamy for me is taking our lasses car......
your not fookin kidding there pete dont think you drive anywhere at less than full boost lol
Old 31-12-2006, 04:37 PM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

Originally Posted by rs nutter
Are all the MSD chip closed loop? One bought a few months ago, would it have it incorporated already?
...no fella...u have to ask.....
Old 31-12-2006, 06:39 PM
crash_ash
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by Ian M
crash ash,
yes closed loop works at idle, upto 3800 rpm infact. mine runs at 0.6% co at idle perfectly.
0.6%, yours must be a cat model?

ahmed bajoo, said bd10 was a poor choice of inlet cam, he could get the co down, but the enging was hunting all the time at idle, idles happy at 4% but if i start it in my garage it makes my eyes burn!

i'm gonna have to ask a few questions before i buy i think cos i want to go for closed loop.

Also next to the 3 pin plug there's a rectangular 2 pin plug off the same loom going spare, any ideas?
Old 31-12-2006, 07:58 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

i think all of stus cossie chips are now set with closed loop
Old 31-12-2006, 10:39 PM
svony

Another vote for MSD's closed loop chip

I've had mine in for a few weeks now and the car is even more of a joy to drive than before, great fuel economy and no performance draw backs in fact the car feels stronger now. Mine is an original cat model so I already had the lambda sensor mounted in the turbo, once I set the fuel pressure and CO per Stu's instructions that was it, went for a ride keeping a close eye on my wideband monitor... perfect.

My only regret is not doing the conversion sooner.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:38 AM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

Originally Posted by JayCos
i think all of stus cossie chips are now set with closed loop
....if u buy a chip for t34, greens etc..it's Ł150....if u go closed loop it's Ł250...i havn't checked recently but why would he change that.....if u want closed loop u ask....
Old 01-01-2007, 09:58 AM
Ian M

Originally Posted by crash_ash
Originally Posted by Ian M
crash ash,
0.6%, yours must be a cat model?

ahmed bajoo, said bd10 was a poor choice of inlet cam, he could get the co down, but the enging was hunting all the time at idle, idles happy at 4% but if i start it in my garage it makes my eyes burn!

i'm gonna have to ask a few questions before i buy i think cos i want to go for closed loop.

Also next to the 3 pin plug there's a rectangular 2 pin plug off the same loom going spare, any ideas?

no its not a cat model, its a 3 dr with a mongoose and all the closed loop cars i,ve seen at stus on the gas analyser have been around the same co reading.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:41 AM
Butch.
PassionFord Post Troll

i have installed the conversion on my old cosworth myself and if you are capable of small work yourself then with stu's very clear instuctions you will have it fitted in a couple of hours....

with it being fitted on my old cosworth that had black siemens injectors, t38, swedish inlet, bd14 inlet cam, big ported head, high comp bottom end, it was very economical when cruising and idle co was at 0.65 at idle and idled perfect as it should do....

the msd chips will only come with closed loop if it stu or the customer has stated to have it in it does not come in msd's chips automatically...

if you have a 4x4 then the wiring is already there in the 3 pin triangle plug, if it is not fitted then all you have to do is run a wire from the lamda sensor to the ecu and stu will supply the pin and instructions on where to fit the pin to the ecu plug, then just run a live and earth to the lamda sensor and thats the wiring done...

over all it is the best conversion you can get for the cosworth for maxium fuel econimy and smoothness while driving the vehicle, once you get the closed loop system you will say why did i not get this conversion sooner as my last cosworth engine was a very big spec my new cosworth is only stage 1 and alot worse on fuel than my big spec one was

so if you are in doubt give stu a call and get yourself one sorted as you wont regret it

well done to stu for making or cosworths economical until we get on boost and thrash the hell out of it
Old 01-01-2007, 04:40 PM
simonc
Advanced PassionFord User

Can i fit closed loop to mine ? I'm using a L8 ecu but when i last had it mapped 2 yrs ago by Paul Hills he removed the ford baby board & fitted a Pectel baby board, Also what about the coil pack conversion will this work with a pectel baby board ?

Cheers Simon.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:45 PM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

not with pectel mate...same as me...dont know about coil packs...but u would need a re-map
Old 01-01-2007, 05:17 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Official PassionFord Trader
Administrator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks for teh kind words everyone, very kind of you indeed.

Originally Posted by simonc
Can i fit closed loop to mine ? I'm using a L8 ecu but when i last had it mapped 2 yrs ago by Paul Hills he removed the ford baby board & fitted a Pectel baby board, Also what about the coil pack conversion will this work with a pectel baby board ?

Cheers Simon.
Previously, closed loop was only available for the genuine Ford Boards, but It will be available from us to run on a Pectel board by February at the latest.

Incidentally, Pectel boards are not sold exchange, so i presume you got your old standard board back as it is of course your property?

Wasted Spark is available for all weber ECU's regardless of internal configuration as it is totally independant of your ecu software.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:20 PM
col cos1
BANNED
BANNED

can only be done with standard ford baby board mate
Old 01-01-2007, 05:26 PM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

Stu...for the pectel one is it a seperate chip to the one that runs/mapped for the car...or will it be a whole new set up...
Old 01-01-2007, 05:41 PM
crash_ash
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments

Previously, closed loop was only available for the genuine Ford Boards, but It will be available from us to run on a Pectel board by February at the latest.
Thats saved me a few quid, been hunting for a standard L8 ECU, only luck that i haven't found one.

Sounds that closed loop outweighs the benefits of my cams then, it'd porbably pay to have it set up too.