General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Rottweiler problem... he's not eating his food. Any ideas

Search this Thread

Old 19-12-2006, 09:33 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rottweiler problem... he's not eating his food. Any ideas

he is 7 months and has been eating frozen dog beef (obviously defrosted for him when eating) since i've had him.

i was going to gradually put him on dry food as wet food has everything against it. got him some dry food for large breeds, the make is Purina. i gave it to him over seven days mixed with old food slowly increasing the dryfood untill it was all dry food.

now he doesn't eat it so made him some rice and boiled eggs until i got some more beef and he chompped it down so nothing wrong with him.

still giving half wet food and half dry and he is not so enthusiastic about eating as he used to get very over excited before.

i want to give him dry food. Has anyone had this problem and is there a better tasting dry food as its just a case of him not liking it.

dont know what to do so hoped some of you lot might know. i remember someone of here has had a few rotties but cant remember who.

any help as me mums a bit upset for the lil terrorist
Old 19-12-2006, 09:39 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Put the dry food out for him...

if he doesnt eat in the 1st min take it away till morning.

Then try again and repeat!!!

You can pour some hot water over the biscuits in case its the consistance he doesnt like.

My Spanial was EXACTLY the same as she was a rescue and had only eaten wet food...

It took about 4 weeks but now she loves her Kibble LOL.

My other half says Purina is a perfectly good food choice!

aLex
Old 19-12-2006, 09:43 PM
Bradz
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I feed my rottie this stuff.

Wafcol HypoAllergenic Chicken & Corn 15kg
Wafcol Chicken & Corn is an outstanding hypoallergenic food, which has been carefully formulated to meet all the nutritional requirements of the normally active adult dog.

Wafcol Hypoallergenic Chicken & Corn is a food that excludes wheat gluten, barley, rye, oats, red meat, dairy products and all artificial colours and flavours

Anything else he shits like a 2 week old baby and pukes it up.
Old 19-12-2006, 09:46 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by AlexF

You can pour some hot water over the biscuits in case its the consistance he doesnt like.

My Spanial was EXACTLY the same as she was a rescue and had only eaten wet food...

aLex
i did try that taking away as thats what his breeder told me but never went through all the way. did your doggy eat the dry food the next morning after you took it away or will it take long.

cheers
Old 19-12-2006, 09:48 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Bradz
I feed my rottie this stuff.

Wafcol HypoAllergenic Chicken & Corn 15kg
Wafcol Chicken & Corn is an outstanding hypoallergenic food, which has been carefully formulated to meet all the nutritional requirements of the normally active adult dog.

Wafcol Hypoallergenic Chicken & Corn is a food that excludes wheat gluten, barley, rye, oats, red meat, dairy products and all artificial colours and flavours

Anything else he shits like a 2 week old baby and pukes it up.
thanx for the reply. never thought an active rottie would reject his food, they tend to put every thing else in their mouths

i will take your food choice in2 consideration
Old 19-12-2006, 09:55 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by cheeky dog

aLex
i did try that taking away as thats what his breeder told me but never went through all the way. did your doggy eat the dry food the next morning after you took it away or will it take long.

cheers
It took weeks!!

But be assured they won't starve themselves!

You have to be seriously strong and not give in though... or you will never break the habbit. He knows what he wants and will use guilt to get it LOL.

The advise is based on what my other half say.... he a Vet Nurse so is def in the know.

Alex
Old 19-12-2006, 09:57 PM
YoungMatt

That Purina is shite mate I tried my dog on it and he hated it Try James Wellbeloved Kibble with some meat. Preferably raw meat, Tripe, Mince etc. You can get it from Pets at home or other places like that. My dog's been on it most his life and has never looked better
Old 19-12-2006, 10:05 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

aLex

cheers
It took weeks!!

But be assured they won't starve themselves!

You have to be seriously strong and not give in though... or you will never break the habbit. He knows what he wants and will use guilt to get it LOL.

The advise is based on what my other half say.... he a Vet Nurse so is def in the know.

Alex
kool he does give me puppy dog eyez, then he can turn in2 the devil if he hears something near his garden, but do you think dry food differs in taste by alot cause was thinking of changing, Chicken and rice flavour at the moment.
Old 19-12-2006, 10:09 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by YoungMatt
That Purina is shite mate I tried my dog on it and he hated it Try James Wellbeloved Kibble with some meat. Preferably raw meat, Tripe, Mince etc. You can get it from Pets at home or other places like that. My dog's been on it most his life and has never looked better
he was on the 100%beef and now being mixed with dry food. wet food makes his breath really bad and not good for his teeth.

been told that you shouldn't mix cmplete dog biscuit with complete wet food, beef, tripe for permenant fixment cause it gives them too much of their RDA of whatever it is they need.
Old 19-12-2006, 10:17 PM
YoungMatt

I guess it's what the dog likes at the end of the day.
My dog gets James Wellbeloved Kibble which is like someones in an above post with no additives and other bad things mixed with Raw meat, Tripe, Mince, Chicken, Lamb ALL sorts. It sorted his skin allergy out aswell when we first put him on it. I noticed he has TONNES more energy and looks much better too.
Old 19-12-2006, 10:30 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by YoungMatt
I guess it's what the dog likes at the end of the day.
My dog gets James Wellbeloved Kibble which is like someones in an above post with no additives and other bad things mixed with Raw meat, Tripe, Mince, Chicken, Lamb ALL sorts. It sorted his skin allergy out aswell when we first put him on it. I noticed he has TONNES more energy and looks much better too.

cheers mate will prob see if he likes jameswellbeloved, it was one of the makes that is recomended by vets also with purina but will defo try J.W.B

The purina is the same with no bad sht. is got more than 23% protien, omega oils and is a BETA type food but thats what ive been told to look for by breeder.
Old 19-12-2006, 10:40 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

tbh, my dog was the same with the dry food as a puppy (having to soak it till it goes mushy) we ended up once she got bored and wouldnt eat that feeding her on chicken mostly as she seems fussy. . worst thing you can do is give the dog ANYTHING you'd eat. . as its gonna like what you eat better so rubbers its own food, keep feeding area to where the bowls are placed!

do you need to feed it dry food all the time? cant you mix it in with some tinned meat?

I think dry food is quite fattening on its own all the time?

Variety imo is the key!
Old 19-12-2006, 10:53 PM
RSKim
15K+ Super Poster!!

James Well Beloved, best you can buy IMHO, again you just have to be consistent with feeding, as already said put it down in the morning, if he doesnt eat it take it away, try again the evening whatever he dont eat takeaway it will take a while, in the meantime, try not to give in, but the odd bit of wet meat in his food wont do him any harm if you cant get him to eat the dry food alone
Old 19-12-2006, 11:02 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by vroooom ptssssh
tbh, my dog was the same with the dry food as a puppy (having to soak it till it goes mushy) we ended up once she got bored and wouldnt eat that feeding her on chicken mostly as she seems fussy. . worst thing you can do is give the dog ANYTHING you'd eat. . as its gonna like what you eat better so rubbers its own food, keep feeding area to where the bowls are placed!

do you need to feed it dry food all the time? cant you mix it in with some tinned meat?

I think dry food is quite fattening on its own all the time?

Variety imo is the key!

the wet food makes his breath really smelly. and get problems with worms, bad teeth, smelly farts

i want him to like his munchies so willing to try new food?
Old 19-12-2006, 11:06 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by RSKim
James Well Beloved, best you can buy IMHO, again you just have to be consistent with feeding, as already said put it down in the morning, if he doesnt eat it take it away, try again the evening whatever he dont eat takeaway it will take a while, in the meantime, try not to give in, but the odd bit of wet meat in his food wont do him any harm if you cant get him to eat the dry food alone
thankyou love.

these silly doggies being norty..... normally a good well behaved fat fucker
Old 19-12-2006, 11:49 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

the wet food makes his breath really smelly. and get problems with worms, bad teeth, smelly farts

i want him to like his munchies so willing to try new food?
You can sort these problems out easilly tho

Bad breath: dog teeth cleaning chews/bones
worms: get him wormed
farts: newspaper

some dog foods will give the dog smelly farts, others wont, jus gotta find the right foods for the dog!

Ive jus got our spaniel onto tinned meat as didnt want to keep her on chicken, needs a varied diet.
Old 20-12-2006, 05:53 AM
Redkop
Member No: 39

Some dogs will not take to just Complete dried food, however hard you try to force it on them!

James Wellbeloved Lamb Kibble smells just like roast lamb - so start with that, mixed with tinned food like Butchers Tripe, not the cheap runny type tinned dog food crap. There is no harm whatsoever feeding a ź of a tin of dog food with dried food.

You can't expect a 7 month old puppy to adapt to a change in it's diet in a week.
Old 20-12-2006, 05:57 AM
Graham S1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would you eat cornflakes without milk?

Try making up some gravy and pouring that over the dried food. Used to do that with my old dog.
Old 20-12-2006, 08:28 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Don't mix dry and wet food....

There is a reason manufactures (like James Wellbeloved) spend serious money on research!!

Wet food rots teeth! so in the long term is not better for your dog in anyway at all! Its not good for your pocket either as Dental work is expensive!!

Alex
Old 20-12-2006, 08:46 AM
Redkop

There is a reason manufactures (like James Wellbeloved) spend serious money on research!!

Wet food rots teeth! so in the long term is not better for your dog in anyway at all! Its not good for your pocket either as Dental work is expensive!!

Alex
Sorry but that's absolute bollox.... none of my previous dogs ever had dental problems being fed wet food (raw tripe) neither has the GSD I have now.
Old 20-12-2006, 09:53 AM
sabres74

It is not difficult to wean a dog on to dry food. The usual way is to start mixing dry food with the dogs normal food and gradually increase the proportion of dry food until you end up with 100% dry food. Always add some warm water or gravy to the dry food, very few dogs will eat dry food without liquid added. It is quite normal for them to show less enthusiasm for the dry food. Would you eat a bowl of dry porridge.

It is very unusual for a dog to refuse dry food completely but not unknown. Most dogs will eat when hungry enough but there is always the stubborn one who will decide to starve rather than eat.

I have always used Burns for my Shepherds. My bitch will still walk up to her bowl and look at it as if I have put down a bowl of posion, walk away but then comes back and scoffs it down.

It is a fact that dry food is much better for them, it reduces the amount of crap they produce, less farting, and does not have all the crap in it that tinned dog food has. I can only say that with the benefit of 30 years experience with dogs that dry food is definately the best option.
Old 20-12-2006, 10:51 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Redkop

Alex
Sorry but that's absolute bollox.... none of my previous dogs ever had dental problems being fed wet food (raw tripe) neither has the GSD I have now.
Its the opinion of people far more educated* on this subject than you are!

*Unless you have Vetinary Qualifications
Old 20-12-2006, 11:17 AM
Taz
Visitor from the Darkside

Alex

I tend to agree with Lunne on this one. I fed my old Bernese mixed for all of her life and she never had rotten teeth. However saying that there are some i would not give my dog, including Pedigree as it goes right through them.

What I say is variety is the spice of life for humans, pets etc etc. My dogs get a mixture of three types of dry food, meat, tripe and any of my left overs (not usually many...lol) Try having your favourite food twice a day for years and see if you get bored with it.

even after all of that my Newfie sometimes refuses food for days on end which the young Bernese copies and it drives the missus spare.

Graham
Old 20-12-2006, 01:01 PM
Smiggy

Dogs like strong smelling food, try putting a bit of smoked sausage or similar through the mix.

We've got a wee Westie and he was exactly the same. But once we'd mixed a wee bit of smoked sausage through his mix he wolfed it down. Vet also said to try a bit of garlic or other strong smelling herb mixed through. Not a lot mind you, just enough to get him interested.
Old 20-12-2006, 01:08 PM
Redkop

Alex

Nothing to do with having Veterinary [I can spell it correctly] Qualifications... it's based on experience of owning dogs for many, many years! Different vets have different opinions and not all will agree with what you state, just because your other half is a Vet Nurse and has told you this, doesn't mean he is right and is speaking on behalf of all Vets There are plenty of Vets who won't advocate dried food for some breeds of dogs, as it can cause Pyoderma and a lot of other associated skin and gut troubles. A lot of Vets will also say, don't feed dried food to male cats as it will cause urinary tract and kidney problems.

Scientists say loads of food for humans rot your teeth and damage other internal organs, but millions of people ignore that and have perfect teeth and are healthy.
Old 20-12-2006, 01:19 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Nothing to do with having Veterinary [I can spell it correctly] Qualifications... it's based on experience of owning dogs for many, many years! Different vets have different opinions and not all will agree with what you state, just because your other half is a Vet Nurse and has told you this, doesn't mean he is right and is speaking on behalf of all Vets There are plenty of Vets who won't advocate dried food for some breeds of dogs, as it can cause Pyoderma and a lot of other associated skin and gut troubles. A lot of Vets will also say, don't feed dried food to male cats as it will cause urinary tract and kidney problems.

Scientists say loads of food for humans rot your teeth and damage other internal organs, but millions of people ignore that and have perfect teeth and are healthy.
I'm very glad you can spell it correctly.

I wasn't just quoting him... I was directly quoting two Vets (not nurses) who were round my house last night.

I understand what you are saying and I can see your point of view - All I was doing was passing on what I felt was good information (having only been a dog owner for 15 years now) from a valid source.

So a bit less of the and "thats bollox" eh? Its Christmas and after all I was only trying to help!!

Alex
Old 20-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Redkop

I'm very glad you can spell it correctly.

I wasn't just quoting him... I was directly quoting two Vets (not nurses) who were round my house last night.

I understand what you are saying and I can see your point of view - All I was doing was passing on what I felt was good information (having only been a dog owner for 15 years now) from a valid source.

So a bit less of the and "thats bollox" eh? Its Christmas and after all I was only trying to help!!

Alex
OK - I will behave
Old 20-12-2006, 01:27 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Good I didnt want a about dog care.

I do remember a very nice story you posted on my thread when my last dog died
Old 20-12-2006, 02:07 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

Thax for all the repls people ..... toooo many things to take in. i've also been told the same about just give him dry food! as long as it has a few vital things he needs!

what sort of gravy would you suggest as i no nothing about gravy... just pour it on my food if its there
Old 20-12-2006, 02:17 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by sabres74
It is very unusual for a dog to refuse dry food completely but not unknown. Most dogs will eat when hungry enough but there is always the stubborn one who will decide to starve rather than eat. :
think thats what i've ended up with
Old 20-12-2006, 02:31 PM
Redkop

Good I didnt want a about dog care.

I do remember a very nice story you posted on my thread when my last dog died
I remember

I did a lot of investigations trawling the net about different dog foods and vet pages, when we adopted 10 month old GSD about 15 years ago. He was intolerant to most foods dried and wet. It took a long time following loads of suggestions by different Vets and food companies who all had differing ideas. Everthing he ate, just went straight through him undigested and he was getting thinner and thinner.

Through trial and error and finally advice from a mate who is a Judge at Crufts, we hit on a diet that he could tolerate and digest.... Eukanuba dried food and raw green tripe mixed together, not each on their own though for some bizarre reason. He never looked back and gained weight rapidly and lived until he was 12 yrs old when he sadly had to be put to sleep with cancer.

I also went through all this again on the net this year too, as the GSD bitch I have has attacks of Pyoderma which has more than likely been caused by a food allergy ie: dried food.

Vets and food companies can advise all they like, but I'm of the firm mind that the feeding of a dog is down to what suits the dog best as not all foods will suit all dogs.
Old 20-12-2006, 02:38 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Vets and food companies can advise all they like, but I'm of the firm mind that the feeding of a dog is down to what suits the dog best as not all foods will suit all dogs.

Exactly! not every human likes the same things, so why would every dog!
Old 20-12-2006, 02:43 PM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never knew you were gay Alex!
Old 20-12-2006, 03:02 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by DaveEscos
You, Radders and Tiff all need to go on a Gaydar course or somthing!

Old 20-12-2006, 03:05 PM
Redkop

Christ where you been Dave?
Old 20-12-2006, 03:11 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

probbaly ironing this shirt

Anyone guessed I'm bored today?!
Old 20-12-2006, 03:12 PM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

I should have guessed by the surname!
Old 20-12-2006, 03:15 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

No Dave...

Let me put you stright (so to speak!)....

It not your family surname that makes you gay, its wether you sleep with the same sex or not.

Which is lucky for people with odd surnames that sound like chants from Indina Jones and the temple of doom.

Alex
Old 20-12-2006, 03:15 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I should have guessed by the surname!
wouldnt the surname die out very fast if that was the case
Old 20-12-2006, 03:17 PM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

No Dave...

Let me put you stright (so to speak!)....

It not your family surname that makes you gay, its wether you sleep with the same sex or not.

Which is lucky for people with odd surnames that sound like chants from Indina Jones and the temple of doom.

Alex

SHUT UP NONCE

Quick Reply: Rottweiler problem... he's not eating his food. Any ideas