General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Problem with retaining personal reg, dvla wanna inspect car.

Search this Thread

Old 19-12-2006, 06:36 PM
~nomad~
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problem with retaining personal reg, dvla wanna inspect car.

Have a bit of a issue, hopefully someone has a solution! I have applied to retain my personlised reg off my fiesta, as I am breaking the car, it is now a totally bare shell. Went to DVLA and paid the £105 to retain the plate, but I have just got a letter saying I have to take the car to a inspection site (30mins away) so they can inspect it. Thing is its a bare shell, it says in the letter it need to have the plates attached legally too, which is impossible as no bumpers or tailgate! Any ideas on what the hell I am supposed to do? Don't wanna lose my reg and £105 on top!
Old 19-12-2006, 06:38 PM
Greg Shepherd
Chasing Radders

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from memory reading on here

they have to inspect the car and if i.m right car has to be road worthy

hopefully someone can tell you for sure thoe m8
Old 19-12-2006, 06:47 PM
Damo V
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Default Re: Problem with retaining personal reg, dvla wanna inspect

Originally Posted by Nomaderst
! Any ideas on what the hell I am supposed to do? !
Rebuild it.........
Old 19-12-2006, 06:48 PM
Renton
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've had a car inspected by the DVLA during a plate transfer before and they were only interested in numbers (reg plates, vin tag, engine number and vin number stamped in chassis), not roadworthyness.
That said, there's probably quite a difference between me carrying a Volvo with bald tyres on a trailer and you turning up with a bare shell and the engine sitting in the boot...

Other than putting the car back together, it sounds like you might have to carry the shell and engine over to them (with number plates somewhere) and cross your fingers?
Old 19-12-2006, 06:48 PM
~nomad~
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Default Re: Problem with retaining personal reg, dvla wanna inspect

Originally Posted by Damo V
! Any ideas on what the hell I am supposed to do? !
Rebuild it.........
no possible really, half of it is already gone. and i have no chance in the time i have.
Old 19-12-2006, 06:56 PM
SteveB
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

They can come to you if need be.... you have to make an appointment.... i've had them comne to me twice, I also asked the question about a car that I had broken in the past that I took a reg off and they said to me that they'd come and inspect the shell... In short it can be done
Old 19-12-2006, 07:00 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

I have the same problem with a personalised plate on a car with a shot engine.

I need the plate off the car and transfer it on to another car, but the car has no tax or MOT as it's been off the road for three years.

What the hell do you do?

Trending Topics

Old 19-12-2006, 07:04 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by RichardPON

I need the plate off the car and transfer it on to another car, but the car has no tax or MOT as it's been off the road for three years.

What the hell do you do?
You've lost the plate unless you make the car roadworthy again as the car has to have been taxed within the last 12 months to be able to remove the number.

Quote DVla

* the tax disc for the donor vehicle has expired no more that 12 months previously. (Prior to 1 December 2005 the concession was six months). Please note that to qualify for this concession, there must be no break between the natural expiry date of the licence (tax) and the commencement of SORN. This concession does not apply if you have submitted your licence (tax) for a refund

Old 19-12-2006, 07:06 PM
S1

Dave, I have a complete and running Xr2i that I'm gonna use to get C8 RST on retention. Your more than welcome to borrow it or bring your shell round here and build it up. Im off for xmas now if that helps.
Old 19-12-2006, 07:09 PM
~nomad~
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by S1
Dave, I have a complete and running Xr2i that I'm gonna use to get C8 RST on retention. Your more than welcome to borrow it or bring your shell round here and build it up. Im off for xmas now if that helps.
can you add me to msn mate? dyanetski@hotmail.com
Old 19-12-2006, 07:09 PM
S1

What the hell do you do?
Get a dodgy MOT and Tax it. Leave it for a few months for the MOT to run a little. Get the car looking like it hasn't sat for 3 years in case it is inspected.
Old 19-12-2006, 07:10 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by focusv8

What the hell do you do?
You've lost the plate unless you make the car roadworthy again as the car has to have been taxed within the last 12 months to be able to remove the number.

Quote DVla

* the tax disc for the donor vehicle has expired no more that 12 months previously. (Prior to 1 December 2005 the concession was six months). Please note that to qualify for this concession, there must be no break between the natural expiry date of the licence (tax) and the commencement of SORN. This concession does not apply if you have submitted your licence (tax) for a refund

Absolutely ridiculous! They're actively encouraging me to ring a vehicle so I can retrieve my plate!
Old 19-12-2006, 07:10 PM
~nomad~
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Steve_B
They can come to you if need be.... you have to make an appointment.... i've had them comne to me twice, I also asked the question about a car that I had broken in the past that I took a reg off and they said to me that they'd come and inspect the shell... In short it can be done
this just a case of calling the number on the letter? if they can come inspect it at my workshop that would be great!
Old 19-12-2006, 07:11 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by S1

What the hell do you do?
Get a dodgy MOT and Tax it. Leave it for a few months for the MOT to run a little. Get the car looking like it hasn't sat for 3 years in case it is inspected.
There's the small matter of a dismantled engine sitting behind the vehicle.
Old 19-12-2006, 07:12 PM
~nomad~
PassionFord Post Whore!!

What the hell do you do?

Quote DVla

Absolutely ridiculous! They're actively encouraging me to ring a vehicle so I can retrieve my plate!
they are arseholes mate, the reg system is gay. I am also going thru the process of trying to get out of paying a tax fine on a car i scrapped 11months ago! told them , but they must have lost the v5. gits.
Old 19-12-2006, 07:14 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Sorry to hijack your post mate, but it's crazy! Your car breaks and the only way to get the plate off is to repair the vehicle or fraudulently adjust your paperwork!
Old 19-12-2006, 07:17 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah Rich it sucks. My mate had an old mondy that was shit and packed in. It sat for over 6 months and then he found he couldn't reclaim the plate without fixing the car which was to be scrapped
Old 19-12-2006, 07:18 PM
woodz77
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i thought it had to be tax and tested ????

they usually ask for it to be viewed by the dvla if it has had a dodgy show plates on . they asked to inspect the bmw when the new owner asked to take the reg off. when he asked them , they said its usually cos the car has been spotted by one of those speed camera vans ,that it has illegal plates on????

then they went on to say that if a car is caught 3 times with illegal plates on they have the power to take the plate off you !!!!!!!!!!

i dont know how much truth there is in it but ive read this on a couple of sites before
Old 19-12-2006, 07:22 PM
Damo V
PassionFord Post Whore!!

What the hell do you do?

Quote DVla

Nothing that drastic, just a bent MOT, then insure and tax as per usual... as above, give it 3 monthss or so then stick an application in to transfer....
Old 19-12-2006, 07:26 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by woodz77
i thought it had to be tax and tested ????

they usually ask for it to be viewed by the dvla if it has had a dodgy show plates on . they asked to inspect the bmw when the new owner asked to take the reg off. when he asked them , they said its usually cos the car has been spotted by one of those speed camera vans ,that it has illegal plates on????

then they went on to say that if a car is caught 3 times with illegal plates on they have the power to take the plate off you !!!!!!!!!!

i dont know how much truth there is in it but ive read this on a couple of sites before
The owner of WH05 HAT lost his earlier this year for displaying it as WH0 5HAT (on a drain clearing van)

Old 19-12-2006, 07:27 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Damo V

What the hell do you do?

Quote DVla

Nothing that drastic, just a bent MOT, then insure and tax as per usual... as above, give it 3 monthss or so then stick an application in to transfer....
not so easy to get a bent MOT now though with computerised system??
Old 19-12-2006, 07:27 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

rich mate its fucked up but true,,,,, ever wondered why you own the right to display and not the actual plate !!!

rich they will ask to inspect the car,,,,, it HAS to have a transmision and a engine ect,,,,, it can have the lights and trim missing but it must be rolling and they can also decide not to relese the plate if they wish,,,,, i had that with my orion that i had ti rebuild cause lennie who said he was gonna turbo it decided to break a car i gave him for spares , i went to get plate taken off it as was told unless its a broken down vehicle and not a scrap vehicle then i will loose the plate

then i started to rebuid it and some pikey cunt nicked it,,,,,,,, before i had a chance to remove plate so after 2 years almost and gonna remove the plate i get told now i gotta wait another 365 days to see if it turns up or not, if it dont i get the plate back with no inspection cause when it was nicked it was taxed/moted and insured ( thank fuck)

if the cars stolen with any of them missing you also dont get shite
Old 19-12-2006, 07:35 PM
SteveB
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_B
this just a case of calling the number on the letter? if they can come inspect it at my workshop that would be great!

Yes...
Old 19-12-2006, 08:18 PM
furry
DECODING JIBBA JABBA!!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

i had this years ago on my rst cab, withdrew the application and re submitted 3 weeks later and it went straight through!!!!
Old 19-12-2006, 08:32 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Why don't you call them and say that's in the middle of restoration and that you have stripped it to repaint the shell? You would then be able to gauge their thoughts on the fact the car is in bits. The reason they are asking for an inspection is most likely because there has been a break it the taxed status of the car. I have been told that if prior to the application the vehicle has been taxed for 6 months continuously or longer then they don’t bother inspecting it.
Old 19-12-2006, 09:09 PM
RS Bowk
Advanced PassionFord User

I had an inspection on my RST when i reatained the plate.

Give them a ring and tell them ur predicamant and they will hopefully be accomadating. In worst case sinario they will come to you to inspect the car but the guy told me you have to be a special case for this to be considered.

Try as u might but YOU WILL NOT GET OUT OF THE INSPECTION!! I tried every way possible as it was very inconveinient for me.

TBH they are only interested in engine and chassis numbers etc. Its a clamp down on stolen cars.

Best of luck
Old 19-12-2006, 09:17 PM
AlexD
Post Miester !

I have just had the same prob, the Sapph is laid up with half an engine

I wanted to put the plate on the ST, but i cant because the Sapp needs to be
taxed and tested..

Main reason is because it has been off the road for over a year so they will
want to inspect it propably.

But if i bolt it back together i might aswell drive it..

So decided not to pursue it any further.

But you cannot break ti for spares or sell it on untill its taxed or tested.

Tis a bitch but there ya go...