General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

who does chassis connectors for 3dr's

Search this Thread

Old 18-12-2006, 09:46 PM
richard_syko
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do they actually mount too? Are there any pics of these. Remeber when I first heard of these back in the summer whoever was making them wasnt too keen on posting pics up.
Old 18-12-2006, 09:56 PM
Phil
Jeebus

It all depends on too many things to judge, but it is safe to say that the Sierra shell wasn't designed to cope too much past 100,000 average road miles using the technology they had at the time. Even some of todays shells aren't designed to last much longer than that! They have to replace the M5 ring taxi's pretty often as after a relatively low number of miles the shell flex simply gets too high and compromises the performance of the car.

If I was taking an old shell such as a Sierra and trying to improve it I would personally aim to make the shell itself as stiff as possible (be it through a cage or through frame connectors and strut braces) and then build the flex into the suspension system where it is both measurable and controllable.

Lets face it, no one buys a Cossie for a smooth and quiet ride, and adding strength in to a tired old chassis can only be a good thing!

The frame connectors connect just in front of the rear beam to just behind the front ARB mounts from what I have seen in pics on here.
Old 18-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil
It all depends on too many things to judge, but it is safe to say that the Sierra shell wasn't designed to cope too much past 100,000 average road miles using the technology they had at the time. Even some of todays shells aren't designed to last much longer than that! They have to replace the M5 ring taxi's pretty often as after a relatively low number of miles the shell flex simply gets too high and compromises the performance of the car.

If I was taking an old shell such as a Sierra and trying to improve it I would personally aim to make the shell itself as stiff as possible (be it through a cage or through frame connectors and strut braces) and then build the flex into the suspension system where it is both measurable and controllable.

Lets face it, no one buys a Cossie for a smooth and quiet ride, and adding strength in to a tired old chassis can only be a good thing!

The frame connectors connect just in front of the rear beam to just behind the front ARB mounts from what I have seen in pics on here.
Cant fault that mate good reply to this subject
Old 18-12-2006, 10:00 PM
MAD EVO 4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 18-12-2006, 11:11 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Taken from http://www.adrenaline-race.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22

Originally Posted by Danny B
Time to tighten up that 15year old body shell, wether its fast road or hard track use your car gets, it could benefit from frame connectors, they help to reduce body flex during corning/acceleration/braking and you WILL notice an improvement.

For the frame connectors the price is £264.50+vat fitted.

Anyone interested in the above please email/call/post here as they will be available soon.

*******NOW AVAILABLE******************
Old 18-12-2006, 11:23 PM
Danny B
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Pennywise
Taken from http://www.adrenaline-race.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22

Time to tighten up that 15year old body shell, wether its fast road or hard track use your car gets, it could benefit from frame connectors, they help to reduce body flex during corning/acceleration/braking and you WILL notice an improvement.

For the frame connectors the price is £264.50+vat fitted.

Anyone interested in the above please email/call/post here as they will be available soon.

*******NOW AVAILABLE******************
Good debate goin on here, as above it states they help to REDUCE body flex.we've actually found you can go softer on damper settings.

Anyway the price is above however for anyone that has them fitted or is Booked in during January will recieve 25% discount which makes them £233 INC VAT FITTED, a £30 booking in deposit will be required (this comes off the total and is not and additional payment)and we can fit them on saturdays.
Old 19-12-2006, 07:53 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What a great discussion this is for once. I was due to have these fitted early this year, but the day i chose to drive to Danny's, you guessed it, the cossie wouldnt start was a great price he quoted me as well. I hope i can still have them at that price. Danny?

I would pretty much do anything in my price range to stiffen and improve the ridgity of my saff. Strut braces may help, but i reckon these chassis bars will do the trick.
Old 19-12-2006, 08:45 AM
Franco
10K+ Poster!!

I also have them fitted! And you notice a difference as soon as you drive out of the workshop!!

BARGIN IF YOU ASK ME!
Old 19-12-2006, 08:58 AM
Danny B
PassionFord Post Troll

For all you handling road car guys i'm also doing a 3 point rear strut brace, Have a customer ordered one so will take pics and if interest I'll do some more, I will have 1 forsale today as i'm doing 2, there made from 4130 cro-moly tubing(light and strong) and will be £197-50inc vat. can be powder coated at extra cost.
Old 19-12-2006, 09:00 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

For all you handling road car guys i'm also doing a 3 point rear strut brace, Have a customer ordered one so will take pics and if interest I'll do some more, I will have 1 forsale today as i'm doing 2, there made from 4130 cro-moly tubing(light and strong) and will be £197-50inc vat. can be powder coated at extra cost.
Sounds good Danny. Get some pics up mate. Can i still have the chassis bars done on mine in th enew year for the cheap price you quoted me orinignally?
Old 19-12-2006, 09:49 AM
Danny B
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by CossieRich
Sounds good Danny. Get some pics up mate. Can i still have the chassis bars done on mine in th enew year for the cheap price you quoted me orinignally?
That was a developement offer price, I'll sort something out with you
Old 19-12-2006, 10:38 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Good man
Old 19-12-2006, 10:40 AM
MAD EVO 4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Good man
Danny is a good man
Old 19-12-2006, 10:54 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Indeed he is mate
Old 19-12-2006, 11:14 AM
K.Goa
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

sounds intresting! but how about those pictures??

Cheers!
Old 19-12-2006, 11:29 AM
K.Goa

would it be possible to make a bolt-on version? and would it be as strong? don`t like to weld in my car and the norwegian authorites woun`t be impressed so it would have to be possible to take them of for inspections.
Old 19-12-2006, 04:04 PM
K.Goa

anyone got pictures? or are they so damn ugly you woun`t show us?

Many years ago there was a kit like this awailable trought ford motorsport, they where like chassisrails that were welded the whole lenght on the floor, from rearbeam mount to the arb-area in front.
Old 19-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Shells need flex dont they? Thats why you stitch weld chassis when seam welding rather than totally welding the whole lot? As if you just weld over the whole lot the thing buckles way too easy as there no give in the chassis at all?
Old 19-12-2006, 04:17 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stavros
Shells need flex dont they? Thats why you stitch weld chassis when seam welding rather than totally welding the whole lot? As if you just weld over the whole lot the thing buckles way too easy as there no give in the chassis at all?
you want as little as possible, but sadly no matter how hard we try it will always have some flex!
Old 19-12-2006, 09:54 PM
Danny B
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by K.Goa
anyone got pictures? or are they so damn ugly you woun`t show us?

Many years ago there was a kit like this awailable trought ford motorsport, they where like chassisrails that were welded the whole lenght on the floor, from rearbeam mount to the arb-area in front.
there nothing ugly, simple matter of using the "search" option, there are quite a few pictures of them on here

will post pics of the strut brace tomorrow.
Old 19-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by GARETH T
Originally Posted by Stavros
you want as little as possible, but sadly no matter how hard we try it will always have some flex!
Well this is what someone started doing to a Sierra...

And a guy who seamwelds chassis and fits rollcages for PRODRIVE for a living said its all wrong. If you weld it fully solid you will twist/buckle the whole shell the first time you have a bump.

Should be like this...
Old 19-12-2006, 10:28 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Steve, I think they do that to stop cracking if it was to happen..

You'd only get a crack in one weld rather than the line of weld
Old 19-12-2006, 10:41 PM
Danny B
PassionFord Post Troll

Stitch welding limits the distortion from the heat going into the panel which then makes it brittle. many short welds work well and you cannot just pick a seam and follow it with the welder.

I worked with a guy from pro drive and there's not a smiley on here to discribe him!! lol.
Old 20-12-2006, 12:05 PM
Danny B
PassionFord Post Troll

Ok guys I've now added photo's of the Adrenaline rear 3-point strut brace.

follow the link to my forum to view.

http://www.adrenaline-race.com/forum...hp?p=2859#2859

Thanks

Danny
Old 20-12-2006, 12:08 PM
MAD EVO 4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Looking good mate