General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Reduced speeding fines proposed

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 11:57 AM
soulweavers
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reduced speeding fines proposed

Reduced speeding fines proposed

Drivers could receive reduced fines for just edging over the speed limit under new Government proposals.

Penalties could range between £40 and two penalty points for less serious offences and up to £100 and six points for more serious offences.

Transport Secretary Alistair Darling is to announce a consultation on the fairer fines proposals.

The consultation includes police plans to hold "speed awareness courses" nationwide for people such as first-time offenders in the lower speeding category.

The lower penalty is not expected to apply to people speeding in 20mph speed limits, usually found outside schools and hospitals.

Speaking on GMTV, Mr Darling said: "In the case of very serious offences, the authorities can still prosecute you in full.

"There is no question of being soft on speeding. Speeding does kill, but this is just a fairer system."
Old 01-09-2004, 12:00 PM
Gee
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

work out the maths
Old 01-09-2004, 01:44 PM
nomad
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

i reckon they are finding the revenue dropping, its another way of getting you to keep your licence longer so you can pay more speeding fine money (ching ching)
cheers nomad
Old 01-09-2004, 01:55 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

As above.

They will make more money this way as you'll be able to obtain more convictions (& fines) before a ban results.

Most people that are caught speeding aren't too far over the limit therefore the majority of cases will obtain the lower fine and points.

Question is will the police have raised quotas for the number of motorists they must nick each month?

Call me synical but I just don't trust the powers that be. If they are giving with one hand somewhere along the line they will be taking twice as much back