General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

another plasma telly questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 09:09 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts
Default another plasma telly questions

how high should i stick it on the wall?

idealy it want ti to be high enough so the little squirt won't be able to reach up and rip the cables off the wall (or be able to turn it on when i've turned it off ) but i don't want it to be too high

the wall is 2.5m night, the telly is around about the 3 foot high mark so i can't put it bang in the middle of the wall, but i don't wan it too high either as it's going to look pants

any ideas?

pics when i get home of the current set up

also, there are 5 different screwholes in teh back of the telly with arrows pointing to them, are these the ones i can use to mount it ebcause onmly 1 of them looks to be meaty enough (M12 bolt) whereas the others look like they use M6's even though the telly i currently bolted to the bottom 2 sets for the stand it's on
should i use these?
who can i ask about this who has a bit of a clue, don't want to bolt it up and then sit down and the hwole thing falls to the floor
Old 06-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Stoo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sit on the couch and mount it at eye level, too many folk mount them half way up the wall and it's just not practical for viewing. It gives you a sore neck

I personally think the best thing is a stand
Old 06-12-2006, 11:03 AM
dojj

eye level means it's only going to be about 3 foot off the floor much to easy for the little rascal to be able to reach, and that was the whole reasoning behind shelling out loads of dosh to maek the house childproof

the stand has glass panels in it so i don't erally want him banging on them and breaking them, he's already learnt how to hit them hard enough to open them up, remove the shelves and he climbs the little sections inside, cheeky little bugger is only 9 months old but he's already scaled our stairs (under carefull supervision i might add, 5 of us ) and he's banned from the kitchen altogether so all thats left is the living rooms with their sofas that he pulls the cloth out of and his fire engine which he plays with until 1.30 in the morning, much to annoyance of the mrs so the only thing left is the telly he can grab hold of so i don't want him to batter it like he does with everything else

i'll put up some pics later to show whats what, that might get a efw more ideas rolling cheers for teh help anyway
Old 06-12-2006, 11:34 AM
Stoo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I know what you mean about him hitting the glass mate but if he can punch through reinforced saftey glass he''ll be doing well Remember these TV's weight ALOT.

There are plenty of wall mounts that would suit your needs, 99% of them can be tilted down so mabey go for one of those and mount it really high?

I'm not sure what would be best. Mabey gaffa tape him to the sofa? Kidding mate
Old 06-12-2006, 01:51 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by Stoo
I know what you mean about him hitting the glass mate but if he can punch through reinforced saftey glass he''ll be doing well Remember these TV's weight ALOT.

There are plenty of wall mounts that would suit your needs, 99% of them can be tilted down so mabey go for one of those and mount it really high?

I'm not sure what would be best. Mabey gaffa tape him to the sofa? Kidding mate
not a bad idea
but he's turning into one of these louts who just beats up everything, including me, his mum, the table legs, the sofa, his toy box, the carpet, newspapers etc, you get the idea
i know he's only a kid and he'll soon grow out of it but i can imagine him throwing his favorite toy (a big fire engine) about the place and breaking shit
the telly is the only thing left now that can possibly be damaged by his hands/toys/etc but i don't want to admit defeat and put it high out of his reach and make everyone else sufferand the only other way to get around it is to put some sort of fire guard around the thing, but i don't think thats going to go down to well with the rest of the family

i might have to banish him to the other room, but then he starts to pull the computer table to stand up and get to stuff there as well

don't even mention supernanny either
Old 06-12-2006, 02:35 PM
vroomtshh
Advanced PassionFord User

Buy a cheap portable telly, put the plasma on a stand and let him touch it as much as he wants. But put the portable somewhere just out of his reach, and give him into trouble every time he goes near it.

I guarantee in no time, he wont be interested in your plasma telly and will just want to get at the portable.

Guess who else is going through this phase
Old 06-12-2006, 06:10 PM
dojj

the telly is only half way up the wall at it's top, so there is plenty of wall to spare

and there is the portable, he has absolulty not intrest in it whatsoever
the table is a bit lower and he bumps his head on it, but the one in the other room is just tall enouhg for him to sit under and not touch his bonce, and yes, we tried swapping tables around but then he started to bang his head, and the silly sod wouldn't stop so we swapped them back again

on the other hand, i built, stacked and cut the holes in the back of that unit and it only took me all of saturday to do
Old 06-12-2006, 06:15 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by MAD YUM
Originally Posted by Stoo
Sit on the couch and mount it at eye level, too many folk mount them half way up the wall and it's just not practical for viewing. It gives you a sore neck

I personally think the best thing is a stand

Was looking to mount mine on the wall but was worried about being too high so purchased a stand

nice as it is mate, we need to get rid of the stand because of the implications if youngster throws stuff at it he don't know he's doing wrong no matter how many times we've tried to stop him, but, no matter, friday (if i'm not in hospital) it will go up, but i might put a small wedge behind it to til it forwards a bit
Old 06-12-2006, 07:28 PM
dojj

yeah, sorta

but i don't want a huge open space above the telly either, form and fucntionality is what i want, but i don't think i'll go as far as kocking brings out of the wall
Old 06-12-2006, 08:09 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just do what i done,,,,,, buy a projector and mount the fooker on the celing and use the ENTIRE wall from floor to celing as a tv,,,,,,, F1 has never been soooooo good
Old 06-12-2006, 10:53 PM
PGT
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

fitting mine IN the wall

made the opening too high up originally though as mentioned above. measuring commercially available stands the normal height that a plasma would sit above the carpet is on a stand about 40-45cm high so a little bit of plaster board and some wall paper required

'measure twice - cut once'

Old 06-12-2006, 10:56 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats a class idea,,,,,,,,,, really like it

but why not just have a wall projector and save the hassle of cutting and shutting

wish my house was made of lego aswell,,,,, all my fucking walls are either brick or breeze fucking block
Old 07-12-2006, 09:32 AM
PGT

Originally Posted by Ginge !
thats a class idea,,,,,,,,,, really like it

but why not just have a wall projector and save the hassle of cutting and shutting

wish my house was made of lego aswell,,,,, all my fucking walls are either brick or breeze fucking block
got one of those in the other room for games and footy. this is the 'every day' telly
Old 07-12-2006, 10:00 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Ginge ! easy enough to put some baton on the wall and make a false on to mount the screen in. cables can run behind it as well to keep it all tidy

dojj a university lecturer once told us that a single m6 bolt could lift a mini (old one, not overweight bmw shit)
Old 07-12-2006, 10:49 AM
PGT

dojj a university lecturer once told us that a single m6 bolt could lift a mini (old one, not overweight bmw shit)

not true - all threads on a classic mini are imperial
Old 07-12-2006, 11:48 AM
dojj

apparently an inch of weld can support 1 ton

as per that mark bloke from "lets buld something else is born"

i think i'm going to whack it in the middle of the wall and the just get taller sofa's