General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

mortgages - how do they work ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

I've not moved, and am not having second thoughts - I am just trying to think is though as much as poss before I do move.

I doublt I will have £300 spare per month, as I haven't included the gas and electric in that either - only the fixed monthly direct debits.

And I agree, do it and see how it goes. I have already made myself a promise that I will do it for one year and keep a concise account of all monies in and out, and if after 365 days I have less money than I started with, then I will sell the place and either buy smaller/cheaper, or move back home...... Which I certainly DON'T want to do!!!!
Old 03-12-2006, 09:26 PM
COMEDY DAN
No1 Blower.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you buy a house for under 120K you dont pay any stamp duty which is
worth baring in mind if you are trying to save money for your first investment to get on the ladder.

This has changed recently to encourage first time buyers.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:19 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Dan - but it's still bollocks! The average house price in the UK is £184,924 (see here for source - SOURCE )

So why is the stamp duty so low? Purely for the government to take yet MORE of your hard earned money from you for absolutely no reason! Honestly, what reason can there be to take money from you when buying a house? The government pays no upkeep towards the property, and you pay your local council for services - why should Tony Blair get 1% of the cost of my house?

The limit should at LEAST go to £150k, or better still £180k - but it won't as the government likes nothing more than ripping off the UK citizens as much as they can....

Whats even worse tho, is how the scheme works. You buy a house for £120k and you pay nothing. But you buy a house for £121k and instantly you have to stump up another £1210! Surely the scheme should be you pay 1% of the house price OVER the 120k threshold? Wouldn't that make sense?

Fucking government - money grabbing cunts
Old 03-12-2006, 11:14 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

notice alot of places are selling for 24999 around london,,,,, cause for another 10k the stamp duty will go upto 3%,,,,, now THAT is alot of cash

and we have ALWAYS known our governmenrt screws us

the amount of people these days that have morgages and the average house prices show that they are getting ALOT more cash than before but they choose to ignore that in the budget when stuff goes up

anyone got anymore infomation for keyworkers interest free morgages as we are gonna be buying a place like that next year as i belive we will qualify for it so need to get info now to start thinking
Old 04-12-2006, 12:00 AM
kevandalice
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanCossie
Originally Posted by danneth
i got my first mortgage this year

was for 115k from nothern rock no deposit and thats £720 a month over 35 years
So your Paying back £302000 WTF??????
its called INTEREST mate, its how the banks make money!!
Old 04-12-2006, 08:20 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by kevandalice
Originally Posted by DanCossie
Originally Posted by danneth
i got my first mortgage this year

was for 115k from nothern rock no deposit and thats £720 a month over 35 years
So your Paying back £302000 WTF??????
its called INTEREST mate, its how the banks make money!!

come on then peeps, lets find out who does the cheapest long term offers over the course of say 2 - 5 years and get some good deals going
Old 04-12-2006, 12:33 PM
COSSIE 1
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im saving to buy my house outright, i split with my wife recently and im lucky enough to pay the rent and bills etc and save enough so i can save £120,000 in 10 yrs then ill borrow the rst from my mum and dad, or get a small loan ............the thing is id like to buy in dorset, currently live in swindon which is very nice and work in enfield middlesex!!!, as ive just split from the wife im in no rush to buy just want to bang as much away as possible to make my life easier in a few yrs time
Old 04-12-2006, 05:51 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

i think thats a false economy mate, house prces are going up faster than the average person can earn the money needed to pay for the extra the prices are going up
Old 04-12-2006, 06:25 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

As Dojj said - what you are doing probably just ain't gonna happen, unless you earn buckets of cash and live at home debt free with fuck all outgoings... House prices, on average, are rising 16x faster than wage increases - you do the math!

I thought the same as I would LOVE to buy a house, or even a flat or something outright - but it simply ain't practical. Look at the market now and think "hmm, you can get a nice 2 bed semi for £160-£180k - I'll save that much up" - even if you can ferret away £1000 a month, thats gonna take 15yrs to save up - in which time the £180k houses are worth probably over £350k, and there probably won't be anything about for £180k......