General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

External waste gates....an explanation required please....

Search this Thread

Old 22-10-2006, 08:41 AM
cossie604
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default External waste gates....an explanation required please....

Ay up people Im awaiting the delivery of a new Garrett GT35R for my new engine build..located the items I need to fit it up thru the Reyland website so all I need now is to choose a suitable wastegate. Ive never personaly had experiance with external wg's so Im in need of some pointers Firstly, how do I denote which size to go for ie how does the sizing effect its application? 38mm 44mm and the like. Secondly, can I still control it via my standard amal valve for the time being until I get air injectors or an electronic boost controler? Thirdly, what makes would people recommend...not looking just for high end brands mentioned just on a names sake but what people have tried and tested them selves? Ive been looking mainly at the Tial brand, seems ok but as I said I have no previous experiance to base my judgment on Any help appriciated

CheeRS,
Stu
Old 22-10-2006, 09:49 AM
cossie604
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Also, venting......whats recommended, vent back into exhaust system or out to atmos? How loud is it when vented to atmos? Are there any benefits or disadvantages to either method?
Old 22-10-2006, 11:55 AM
sas
should be good!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been running a Turbosmart Ultragate 38mm on my ERST now for 6 months and very happy with the results.

I vent the waiste exhaust gas to atmosphere via an 8inch 38mm tube. I am unable to detect much differance in noise!

I went for the Ultragate because it came with all the weild on flanges required to carry out my conversion.

The bottom end on my car is a Focus RS.

S.
Old 22-10-2006, 12:32 PM
Rs1
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sas
I have been running a Turbosmart Ultragate 38mm on my ERST now for 6 months and very happy with the results.

I vent the waiste exhaust gas to atmosphere via an 8inch 38mm tube. I am unable to detect much differance in noise!

I went for the Ultragate because it came with all the weild on flanges required to carry out my conversion.

The bottom end on my car is a Focus RS.

S.
No noise differnace? Have you actually driven on full boost yet? Venting to atmo is noisy as hell plenty people have just plumbed back into the exhuast system......the disruption is gas flow is the reason for venting to atmo but for a road going car its not really needed. iirc the later in the system you plumb back in the less chance of disrupting the gas flow.......or less effect it has on it. I'm going to use a tial 38mm on my 35r, perhaps a wee bit to small but its easily changed.
Old 22-10-2006, 12:50 PM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

The size of your wastegate is all to do with the size of your exhaust housing and how much power you are making.

A GT35 with a fairly large exhaust housing on a 2ltr engine will prob only need a small wastegate. However a WRC car with a tiny tight exhaust housing may need a fairly big wastegate as that is where the majority of the exhaust gases go past a certain point.
Old 22-10-2006, 01:51 PM
Anonymous
Banned

...i run a 44mm tial wastegate vented to atmosphere..its fucking LOUD

..i control boost rallyx style via an in car pnematic pressure valve..adjustable from 0.5bar to 10bar ..you got no spike at all...just set to desired pressure and it will stay there whatever
Old 22-10-2006, 03:13 PM
Rs1
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bosch man you got any more info on the pnumatic valve? Where to get one,how youve piped it in(to minimise spike) and most importnat how much?

Rob
Old 22-10-2006, 03:44 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Julian Godfreys do a kit for gaited turbos with a twin port actuator...or without actuator for the external jobs.

...you will never get a spike using one no matter how long the piping...you just pull up knob then turn to increase or decrease,you then push the knob down and it locks.Very stable.

This is the one in my car i did it DIY and ordered the wrong size as you can see,the proper one is half that size Still does the same job though...You can just about see it on the passenger side tunnel
Old 22-10-2006, 06:16 PM
cossie604
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cheers for the input everyone Looks like im gonna go for a 44mm tial jobby (altho im also gonna have a look into the ultralite as mentioned above)...and i'll vent it to atmos, if im having an external I may as well shout about it

Cheers,
Stu.
Old 22-10-2006, 07:10 PM
cossie604
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Another question.....what would be the result of going too large on the waste gate size?? Also how do interpret spring psi numbers 11.7 and 3.68?? Im right in thinking these aint the max holding psi limits of the spring are they?? Aaarrgggghhhh hate not knowing how something works
Old 22-10-2006, 07:15 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Re: External waste gates....an explanation required please..

Originally Posted by cossie604
Ay up people Im awaiting the delivery of a new Garrett GT35R for my new engine build..located the items I need to fit it up thru the Reyland website so all I need now is to choose a suitable wastegate. Ive never personaly had experiance with external wg's so Im in need of some pointers Firstly, how do I denote which size to go for ie how does the sizing effect its application? 38mm 44mm and the like. Secondly, can I still control it via my standard amal valve for the time being until I get air injectors or an electronic boost controler? Thirdly, what makes would people recommend...not looking just for high end brands mentioned just on a names sake but what people have tried and tested them selves? Ive been looking mainly at the Tial brand, seems ok but as I said I have no previous experiance to base my judgment on Any help appriciated

CheeRS,
Stu
Stu,
if you need any advice on any products on my site .... don't hesitate to call me on 0121 458 6010,
cheers,
Martin.
Old 22-10-2006, 07:39 PM
cossie604
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ok chap...when my turbo arrives and pay day has come around again i'll be on the dog and bone to you I just like to know personaly how to interpret things for myself...im more inquisitive than a nosey cat

Stu.