General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Has anyone been to India?

Search this Thread

Old 19-10-2006, 11:58 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Has anyone been to India?

As above i've got to go out to Chennai for a month to work! Whats the climate like yearly? I take it they have a Monsoon season??!!!

And more importantly do they have McDonalds out there??!!!

Chris
Old 19-10-2006, 12:35 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

don't drive unles you have had practice, which means years and years of london traffic

the climate recenty was in the mid 30's but it cools down over night

the rainy season was a little late this year

yes they have macdonalds out there, but because they can't eat beef and the majority of the population are veggie, you will have some strange requests to make, ie, ask for a NON veg burger, trust me, it'll all make sense

DON'T take big bills with you, you will get scammed like there is no tomorrow, there is always room to haggle, even in macdonalds

tkae your malaria tabs

and there is also dengue fever running rife throughout the country, makes headlines daily, so any bites you get make sure they get looked at asap

anything else? not really, just make sure your wallet is hidden away and only take out the bare esentials if you need to pay for somethng, robbery is all too common out there and as soon as they find out you are a forigner, they will hustle you like there is no tomorrow

don't give to beggers, no matter how many hours they've been following you, learn the lingo if you can, try not to venture out after dark without a guide, and make sure you go to well populated places if you are going to go clubbing or the like, some people will see you are on your won and will have no hesitation in stabbing you to get some money out of your pocket

don't break the law either, my uncle is a big shit bank manager and his best mate is a big shit lawyer so when i got banged up last time i was there the police sergant was made to give ME an apoligy for arresting me long story, but they carry big sticks and won't hesitate to beat your ass if you look like you are going to give them agro

minid you, most officer are open to bribery, and corruption is as open as it is hidden in football over here

go and enjoy yourself, but just be wary of the risks involved in going to a country where they earn less than a round a year
Old 19-10-2006, 12:38 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your going to drive take a bumper car
Old 19-10-2006, 12:41 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

or ride a cow?
Old 19-10-2006, 12:50 PM
Tangodeltasierra3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You will hate it, i had 8 days in Bombay and it drove me mad, 2 dozen beggars on every arm, every minute your on the stret, car horns beeping 24hrs non stop, and the dreaded shits and no tetley tea bags
Old 19-10-2006, 12:54 PM
coziboy
Part of the Furniture

been to bradford is that close
Old 19-10-2006, 01:00 PM
zedtechs
Regular Contributor

Hello mate, what you gonna be doing in Chennai!!!

Our company has just launched a call centre over in Chennai, and the girl sent to train them up has been ill for the past week with food poisoning. Also had to sack a load of the staff as they just couldn't grasp English!!!
Old 19-10-2006, 01:11 PM
dojj

the english problem is all to do with basic grammer

because they are translating sentences from hindi/punjabi/urdu directly to engligh, you will have a bit of difficulty trying to understand what most of them are on about

they will use all sorts of long and complicated words just beause they are trying to impres you with how smart they are, instead all they do is end up looking like dicks

don't forget your dust mask, you may need it if you are traveling by car as a hankie sometimes just won't cut it

and don't forget to grab some anti squit pills for while you are over there, they don't really use toilet paper either, so make sure you have water to wash your arse with if you need to go
Old 19-10-2006, 01:15 PM
Lou Lou.
10K+ Poster!!

Pmsl sounds like your gonna have great fun out there Fozzy
Old 19-10-2006, 01:20 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

cheers for that guys, looks like im gonna have the time of my life!!

dojj - cheers for that matey, ive been told too that the hotel is very good with loads of facilities and the food is meant to be pretty good! There's a gym and internet access so ill be ok!!! Not too bothered about venturing out really to be honest, im only going cause I have to!!

zedtechs - I work for a bank (Standard Chartered) which is mainy operated from Chennai (around 11000 staff are over there apparantly!). Been told to take a suitcase of Imodiums!!

Chris
Old 19-10-2006, 01:22 PM
dojj

the most important thing is NOT to drink the water unless it is from a sealed bottle or from a filtered source

the locals will try to flog you water that has not been filtered by wrapping it up in another bottle, make sure there is a plastic seal on the top
Old 19-10-2006, 02:53 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by cfoster
Been told to take a suitcase of Imodiums!!

Chris
and one of the other varity as well
just in case like (read my crap story over in the muppet arena )
Old 19-10-2006, 04:54 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by dojj
the most important thing is NOT to drink the water unless it is from a sealed bottle or from a filtered source
Extremely important!!