General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Should soldiers pay tax?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 04:36 PM
Phil DJ
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with it. I don't think they should be taxed at all
Old 10-10-2006, 04:38 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Deffo NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think they shuold not have to pay Tax,NI or council tax ect........

There wages should be theres
Old 10-10-2006, 04:39 PM
scottbrown
Advanced PassionFord User

I dont think they should have to pay any taxes, especially while serving abroad.

i do believe they should also get a pay rise
Old 10-10-2006, 04:39 PM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

If I'm out of the country for a certain amount of time I don't pay tax. But I agree, that only counts for people like me who work for the RFA. I agree though that ALL service personell, Navy, Army, Air Force and support crews should not pay tax.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:40 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

I cant see why they shouldnt, it's a job & it's not like they've been forced to join the forces.

How much would all the rest of our taxes go up by to cover the lost revenue the government get by taxing 100,000's of troops we have?
Old 10-10-2006, 04:42 PM
Terry Tibbs
PassionFord Post Troll

About 2 quid..
Old 10-10-2006, 04:42 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry, but I can't help but to disagree.

If the justification for them not paying tax is that they serve our country, then where do you draw that line? There are alot of careers that you could label the same way, take Police, Ambulance Drivers, Surgeons, Fire Fighters etc etc.

If soldiers were tax-free imagine that knock-on effect on every little scrote wanting in just so that they can be tax-free.

Bad idea IMO.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:48 PM
Terry Tibbs
PassionFord Post Troll

Its only whilst they are serving out of the country isn't it?

I doubt many would join up just to go out on the frontline and not have to pay taxes.. I think they should abandon taxes when you are out of the country.. In all fairness when are the police, fire and ambulance serving out of the country under fire?? or potentially under fire? 1 bloke against 20 policeman with a gun is a bit different to 30 arabs with ak's and RPG's.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:48 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

of course they should pay tax, they chose there line of work, pay up like every one else has to working for this bastard country.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Tangodeltasierra3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

No Tax - and it might help them if we gave em a few helmets and bullets too
Old 10-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Dave McB
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

they should pay tax whilst working in britain

they shoud not pay tax whilst working (at war) in other countries.

if they are on training missions then tax them(they get paid extra for being away)

whay should u pay tax whilst risking ur life for your country tho....
Old 10-10-2006, 05:05 PM
Nash
Cake lover!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I am actually on the side of the fence where we are hoping this comes into force.

Now think we don't really get paid that well for what we do. We are away from friends and family a hell of alot. I think we deserve a little bit of a break, we would still pay tax when in this country but not when away on ops.

Yeah you may go on about how we choose the job and so tough shit, theres not enough troops[forces stupidly under strength] for what we are having to do! Its now got to the point where lads are that pissed off because we are away all the time, that they are putting papers in to get out! Which is just making matters worse.

The other reason i think this is happening is to try and attract more people to join up, make them realise that if you serve your country then you are going to get a little bit of a reward.

I think the government is finally starting to realise that troops are dying because they arnt giving them good enough equipment, and that troops wont stand there and get treated like shit anymore.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:14 PM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Totally agree.

It's alright people saying "They knew the job when they joined up" but the world has changed so much over the last 10 years and people are fighting in places where most people never knew existed now. Look how many British forces members have been killed over the last 5 years compared to the last 20 for example. You are serving your country fighting for it..why shouldn't you get something extra back ? We don't get bonus's or overtime like almost every other job in the UK...and we're on call 24hrs a day, 365.

Guarantee those people who say "No, they are simply doing their job: why should they get speical treatment" would be the first to want protecting by us if anyone invaded Britain.

Like flip said, I don't think you can compare it to police/firemen either...
Old 10-10-2006, 05:17 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Whilst in the UK they should be paying taxes whilst at war in other countries then I feel they should be un taxed.

How's about taxing the benefit cheques of all the workshy tossers that would rather sponge than get a job?
Old 10-10-2006, 05:36 PM
scottbrown

Originally Posted by Matt J
Originally Posted by Oranoco
Whilst in the UK they should be paying taxes whilst at war in other countries then I feel they should be un taxed.

How's about taxing the benefit cheques of all the workshy tossers that would rather sponge than get a job?
I rekcon if you're out of work/on dole after a certain period then you should get some national service (health permitting of course) watch all the little scrotes take all the interviews they can then

comparing to fire/police is pointless, how often are they on the frontline? while at war (especially somebody elses fucking mickey mouse war) they should be given all the breaks possible.

I appreciate what they do if not everyone here does
and when the fireman want a pay rise and go on strike who has to cover.
our soldiers are under valued imo
Old 10-10-2006, 05:39 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

no way should we get taxed whilst serving abroad,why should we be?we are not using any of the services of the country except for our own and are more than likely at a high risk of being shot or otherwise being endangered t keep the like of YOU safe in your own country! just about every other armed service i have worked with has this tax exception and it is embarassing that we do not. remember when you start to liken us to the other forces in this country (fire etc...)that we are NOT allowed to strike,we have NO unions,we can NOT say no to any order (unless it is unlawful) and we tend to be treated as shit by a lot of people when not at war etc....also when all of these other services go on strike,who gets to do their job for them with no extra pay?oh yes....we do!brilliant!and we can work all day long and get paid no more money than if we did a normal days work,there is NO overtime in the armed forces!

and for all of the "well YOU joined...." comments, i joined not so that i could go to war,but so that we DONT have to!i beleive that we are doing the best job possible when we are preventing war and aggression,not when we are dishing it out. i want to keep this country safe and peaceful and have no intention of EVER firing a round in anger!

people always criticize the forces when there are no conflicts for using too much money and being too large yet when a conflict arises they expect the guns and trained soldiers,mechanics,pilots,firemen,and every other trade (there are soooo many!) to magically appear from the woodwork with no extra funding from the government,we NEED our armed forces and we need to treat them WELL! after the recent pay 2000 fiasco (all you forces lot will know what im on about) and getting dicked around like crazy everywhere,do you not think that a man who has signed his life away so that YOU can eat your burger and chips in safety in mcdonalds should be able to get a tax break if he is sent away to the hell hole of the world?

many thanks
Greig
Old 10-10-2006, 05:41 PM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ
I cant see why they shouldnt, it's a job & it's not like they've been forced to join the forces.

How much would all the rest of our taxes go up by to cover the lost revenue the government get by taxing 100,000's of troops we have?
I agree..............if they're based abroad for 2 years then that's tax free but if they're in the UK making use of what tax pays then they should pay their whack. Not saying they don't deserve better pay, but they shouldn't be tax exempt.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:42 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Being Forces I agree i should pay tax. BUT only when in the UK.

when in the UK forces personnel use the same resources provided by tax as everyone else, hence they should pay.

When deployed we should get tax free pay like RFA and merchant navy. as we cant use those tax paid for resources.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:44 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
Being Forces I agree i should pay tax. BUT only when in the UK.
totally agree with that
Old 10-10-2006, 05:49 PM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

Originally Posted by Mr S1
Originally Posted by AJ

I agree...if they're in the UK making use of what tax pays then they should pay their whack. but they shouldn't be tax exempt.
Surely that means you agree with the initial post then? When Forces are serving abroad they don't pay tax. If they are abroad they cannot use the services they are paying for...so should be given tax exemption for when they are away. What some people seem to forget is that just because we know the risks & may have to go to war, doesn't mean that we WANT to go.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:51 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

While in battle no,....otherwise yes they should pay tax like everyone else.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:51 PM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by rs shawn
Originally Posted by Mr S1
Originally Posted by AJ

I agree...if they're in the UK making use of what tax pays then they should pay their whack. but they shouldn't be tax exempt.
Surely that means you agree with the initial post then? When Forces are serving abroad they don't pay tax. If they are abroad they cannot use the services they are paying for...so should be given tax exemption for when they are away. What some people seem to forget is that just because we know the risks & may have to go to war, doesn't mean that we WANT to go.
Yes................but unlike some people I don't have time to read the whole post as I'm a busy boy so I just put my tuppence ha'penny worth and don't give a toss if someone's already said it
Old 10-10-2006, 06:01 PM
DanST
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

my wages should be mine, but I get taxed etc, so should they!

Sorry to be against the flow here but its only recently that our forces have actually been in conflict. Before that they have been sat around waiting, with the exception of the army involved in peace keeping.

They get paid a great deal more than most people on civvy street and are away only part of the year as a rule. My attitude is that they should pay the taxes whilst here, and not when they are away.

Its a career, yes a dangerous one, but nobody forces any one into the forces.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:08 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by DanST

Sorry to be against the flow here but its only recently that our forces have actually been in conflict. Before that they have been sat around waiting, with the exception of the army involved in peace keeping.

They get paid a great deal more than most people on civvy street and are away only part of the year as a rule. My attitude is that they should pay the taxes whilst here, and not when they are away.

before writing something in future Dan may i suggest you actually research the situation? our armed forces have been involved in out of area conflicts for a VERY long time non stop now,afghanistan?iraq?the balkans?iraq again?how about all over africa?the falklands?cyprus? in fact could you please tell me the last date that we had no armed forces involved in a foreign conflict?i would LOVE to hear your informed response!
and as for getting paid a great deal more than yourselves,please once again do some research,OR....tell me which trade you are reffering to. i can probably prove this myth wrong as well,some of the pay packets received by fully qualified trades is disgusting IMO!
Old 10-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Chris Honeywell

Originally Posted by markk
of course they should pay tax, they chose there line of work, pay up like every one else has to working for this bastard country.
Sorry people but i agree its a job of there choosing
Old 10-10-2006, 06:14 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

right,so when YOU go to work abroad,are YOU going to pay income tax to OUR country?
Old 10-10-2006, 07:52 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine should be mine, But at the moment Im still getting taxed!

1982 quite recent then? And sat around waiting, I have fucking untold friends abroad at the monent... In afgan, Iraq and the Falklands...Behave mate! Plus I've just done a 4 month tour away in the Falklands myself

Thats UTTER bollocks!!!! I get paid no more than anyone else on civvie street!

I have a few friends, In different trades to me that have been away from anything up to 8 months away... RAF are normally only away for 4 months?

Where you getting this blurb from?

Yeah, I signed the dotted line.. And? We all need a job dont we
Old 10-10-2006, 08:02 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Personally, in a perfect world, I think we should see key public servants, like soldiers, teachers, firefighters, police, and NHS nurses/ambulance staff (not ponsy doctors who already earn a fortune!) shouldn't pay income tax (tho should pay NI IMO)......

But as said, the economic knock's on could be harsh!

If soldiers are on active duty abroad then I don't think they should pay tax no... If they are home, and not "fighting" then tax should be paid (I don't mean any offence or to be rude, but if you are home and just training all the time or whatever, and not actually defending the country or suchlike, then tax should be paid)

My 2 cents......
Old 10-10-2006, 09:05 PM
Dave Parker

they knew the pay when they joined up tax is tax
but

you couldnt pay me enough to go to iraq with or without tax good luck to em i say
Old 10-10-2006, 09:16 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Argh i just typed a fookin long respones to this and poxy PF wanted me to log in agian, thus losing it
Old 10-10-2006, 09:30 PM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

where is the sense in taxing people who are paid from tax revenue anyway... ?
Old 10-10-2006, 09:41 PM
Mark V8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 166 Likes on 145 Posts

No way should they pay tax whilst fighting overseas
Tony B Liars spineless government shit all over our armed forces trying to police the whole world but giving them CRAP equipment and no where near enough ammo.

Mark
Old 10-10-2006, 11:12 PM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

They get paid a great deal more than most people on civvy street
You see one of the papers today? Stating that some government Road Painters are getting £53,000 a year !!!!
Some workers get bonus pay just for turning up for work !!!!!
Old 10-10-2006, 11:13 PM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

Originally Posted by Rhys
Argh i just typed a fookin long respones to this and poxy PF wanted me to log in agian, thus losing it
If you'd have pressed "back" you could have copied what you'd written then pasted it after you'd logged in again...
Old 11-10-2006, 02:14 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

You TWAT

Yet another example of public misperception.

If there arent bodies on the TV news it didnt happen did it????

I was getting shot at within 6 months of joining for £9k a year. so dont tell me the pay meets the risks.

And before you say "your not army" try telling me a silkworm missile the size of a double decker bus inbound aint the same as getting shot at and Ill twat you. Same with the RAF boys getting shot at by SAMs and AA fire.

Just remember if people didnt volunteer for the Forces then eventually compulsory conscription would become a reality.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:28 AM
GazzaG
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 11-10-2006, 05:51 AM
CliffRS4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I for one am happy that we are getting this bonus as such.
I am just coming to the end of a 7 month in tour of Iraq and believe me the shit that we have to put up with is fucking unbelievable!

I love my job but at the end of this tour I will have sepnt 430 days away out of 460. Do I deserve a bonus

Fuck yer!

To all the doubters. Blow me
Old 11-10-2006, 12:55 PM
kjc300
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Holy Foooooooooooooook - there's some coooonts on this site!!!

When we're in the UK yes we should!!

When we're not....... DEFINITELY NOT!!!

end of!!

Quick Reply: Should soldiers pay tax?