General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Whats the worst job you've ever had?

Search this Thread

Old 25-09-2006, 09:47 PM
Phil
Jeebus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the worst job you've ever had?

Following on from the debt thread...

I think the three worst jobs i've ever had are:

1) Sweeping a warehouse floor (yes, that was the entire job for 8 hours a day )
2) Making cardboard boxes (well, tearing off the excess for 8 hours a day after someone more superior than me had pressed a shape into each sheet )
3) Pot wash in a restaurant (everyone must have done it at some point! )

The things you do to buy a Cossie at 19
Old 25-09-2006, 09:48 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Packing at biscuit factory. Total nightmare u cant even go for a pee without asking
Old 25-09-2006, 09:50 PM
collierm
MP for K.I.S.S

Folding cardboard boxes on a production line for 10 hours a day for 6 months. Bored me shitless. Whenever I move house, we use plastic containers, I hate cardboard with a passion you can't imagine.

Cheers

Matt
Old 25-09-2006, 09:51 PM
COMEDY DAN
No1 Blower.

Pot wash when I was 15 in a local hotel.

everyone has done pot wash havent they???

The best part was the spare food....
Old 25-09-2006, 09:52 PM
radiant red
Advanced PassionFord User

in between jobs i once had to

put bottles on a belt for 12 hours
Old 25-09-2006, 09:53 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

washed up in a butchers when i was 15
Old 25-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Phil
Jeebus

Originally Posted by collierm
Folding cardboard boxes on a production line for 10 hours a day for 6 months. Bored me shitless. Whenever I move house, we use plastic containers, I hate cardboard with a passion you can't imagine.

Cheers

Matt
A fellow cardboard box creator The paper cuts were the worst bit!
Adam Ash
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Sellotaping the base of cardboard boxes together all day ....... 1 up from making them i guess
wrightyat86
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

pushing trolleys at safeway when i was at school was pretty shite but it paid for my under age drinking so cant complain too mutch. as soon as i left school ive had pretty cushty jobs. train driver now!
Old 25-09-2006, 09:56 PM
Kelv
Almost there!

The one im in now, its that bad ive been there just over 15 years.

that makes me feel old now - 15 years

im sure i just left school a couple of years back
Old 25-09-2006, 09:57 PM
EssexMikeSi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

working in the milk dairy, coming home stinkin of milk and suspicious lookin white stains all over ya trousers (milk, i promise)

that was through the agency and coz its such a big place with hundreds of staff, they never noticed if u sneaked off, so i used to go sit in the changing room sometimes for a couple hours lol.

my next worst job ive ever done is my current- van driving for unipart/partco. shit money (£5 a hour), hours wage taken off each day for lunch break which we dont get given, and generally just fucking shit boring job workin with a load of back stabbing bastards who slag off/talk about each other behind each others backs. tracker on the van so u cant even fart without being moaned at, no chance of any sorta promotion and u find yaself just drivin round all day thinkn 'wish i had worked harder at college'
Rs Baz
PassionFord Post Whore!!

working for sky t.v
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never had a 'shit' job

Worked in films for a bit, Special effects and Models, Left due to lack of films at the time (Fucking top job though!)

I was a roofer, Was very good money, Left due to no work over winter

I was a window fitter, Left to...

Become a Pastry Chef... that was REALLY good, but the bitch that I worked along side I never got on with (job was good though)

Joined the RAF, been in nearly 6 years!
Old 25-09-2006, 09:59 PM
collierm
MP for K.I.S.S

Originally Posted by Adam Ash
Sellotaping the base of cardboard boxes together all day ....... 1 up from making them i guess
Swine, I wanted that promotion
Old 25-09-2006, 10:00 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pennywise
Never had a 'shit' job

Worked in films for a bit, Special effects and Models, Left due to lack of films at the time (Fucking top job though!):
That sounds like a fucking quality job mate
Old 25-09-2006, 10:03 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

It was Mark, Thats why I joined the RAF to get a trade

Painters in the Film industry get £1000+ a WEEK
Old 26-09-2006, 07:33 AM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

My worst job - bus driver. Absolutely hated that with a passion, so much so, made me very seriously ill when I was 19

Best job - the one I have now, I still want to goto work at 4am in the morning
Old 26-09-2006, 07:42 AM
orion_crazy_carl
orion=mini saff

dust bin man,its a rubbish job,but ya pick it up as u go along
sorry tht was crap,
i done a second job for a bit of cold calling trying to sell stuf,lasted 3 weeks,i kept arguing with thm down the phone
Old 26-09-2006, 07:43 AM
Arfur
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Pot washing's bad because you get treated as the lowest of the low by all the other cunts in the kitchen, but the worst job I had was as a dustman. Lived in High Wycombe at the time, and some of the bags of rubbish we collected had human shit in them.

Only lasted two weeks then got a job as a postman. At the time (late 80s) it was the nuts - used to start at 5, finish my round at lunchtime, have a massive lunch in the subsidised canteen then spend the afternoon mucking about with my car - brilliant.
Old 26-09-2006, 07:52 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

The worse job I had was as a Lloyds broker for a large insurance brokers (now second largest in world I believe) for the offshore oil and gas industry. Because it was for a large company, you got the usual quota of crawly bumlick arseholes that you just wanted to watch die a slow painful death and the management constantly dangling carrots to get you to achieve goals, but then not fulfilling their promises upon reaching these .

Woman were great though - especially in the summer - short skirts and low cut tops .

I also miss the three course lunch - as the restuarant used to regularly win awards (and it was free) and going to work in a suit (I haven't even got one now (that fits anyway ).

I think I just have a problem with authority .

Was much worse than stacking shelves or the milk-round I used to do (from the age of 11-22), as I always had a laugh doing those.
Old 26-09-2006, 08:20 AM
Graham S1
PassionFord Post Troll

working on a Turkey farm when I was about 13. Thank fook I didn't have to do work in the "insemintaing" department.
Old 26-09-2006, 08:29 AM
Andreas
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Would say its my current one, office work, sitting behinda a computer registering invoices.

Doesnt sound that bad but its pretty hectic and even though I produce a lot everyday the payment is just too low compared to the work effort.

Had 5 people digging a trench for a broadband cable outside my house. Took them all day to dig 50 metres and they had a JCB. Most of the time they were chatting, having a smoke, coffee or other non-work related things. I bet they earn loads more than me even though just worked 4 hours out of the 8.
Old 26-09-2006, 08:34 AM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Mines got to be 6 weeks in Black & Decker putting together DeWalt drills.

In the 6 weeks i managed to learn every job on the line, oh how boring it was
Old 26-09-2006, 08:48 AM
paul16v
Monte 087

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

When i was an apprentice i had to put weld prep's on 8000 bits of pipe using a manual lathe, they were test pieces for british steel it nearly drove me insane
Old 26-09-2006, 08:57 AM
S3an
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

i was once tiling a bathroom for this big bloke, any way i was tiling a awkward bit and laddo came in for a piss!!!! he didnt say fook all and just started pissing close to where i was bent down working, anyway im 99.9% certain he SPLASHED me and im thinking WTF but couldnt bring myself to say summet to the huge guy. just like when your out on the piss and some big geezer starts pissing next to you in the lav, and they start pissing like a pressure washer and you get the splash effect!!!!
Old 26-09-2006, 09:02 AM
COSSIE 1
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Im a printfinisher and im employed/trained as a machine operator but as we are so busy all the time (we work 24-7,7 days a week) the company took on a couple of extra operators on the machines i run so for the last 6months ive been loading the binding machines and making a4 boxes etc...because they trust me the most .................which is fooking boring as i work 7pm-7am but i earn shitloads as i get operators money night shift allowance and london weighting and as much overtime as i want for doing "immigrant work" , was getting £21 hr sat night working 12hrs but only working 3 hours making 120 boxes.. easy money ..love it
Old 26-09-2006, 09:27 AM
Lamb Souvla
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Gotta be my job now, Flight operations for a tour operator, boring desk job and my only contact with the public is when they have a complaint, plus my boss is a tight cunt and works on the policy of demanding the most and paying out the least and is a sneaky bastard.
Ive had a few jobs whic hte conditions were worse but they were much more fun and I always had a laugh, ie Pizza Hut delivery and Security Gaurd in Selfridges and then Soho Anne Summers which was cool, girls absolutly love uniform.
Old 26-09-2006, 09:47 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

i've been lucky enough to have never had a job that i didn't enjoy.

out of the few that i've done, i'd say paperboy was the worst. but even that had it's good sides like seeing the sunrise, a warm summers morning or a crisp winters morning
Old 26-09-2006, 10:29 AM
Clare
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Its a tough competition to pick my worst job, i've had a few:

1) Weekly local paper round at 13, the papers were so thick with about 6 leaflets to insert every week, I ended up having to push the papers in a pram cos they were too heavy to carry in a bag

2) At 15 I set up a market stall at 6am before school during the week, then worked in a Bakery for 5 hours on a Saturday (for 2 quid an hour I might add), and on top of those 2 jobs I also worked for Shoe City on a Friday evening and a Sunday daytime Mum made me give up the Market & Bakery leading up to my GCSEs so I stayed on at Shoe City doing extra shifts, got promoted as a Hush Puppy & Clark fitter for kids shoes............... and I hate kids

3) Waiting for my GCSE results I was a temp in the Liz Claibourne clothes factory, my job was to wrap 'Dynasty' style designer clothes in plastic. I had to stand on a step cos I was too short to reach the trimmer that melted and sealed the plastic round the hanger, I'd come home smelling of burnt plastic and with burnt fingers. On a good day they let me pick clothes from the warehouse for Deliveries, that meant walking up and down isles of clothes on 4 different floors looking for matching stock numbers.

4) Did cold calling for Zenith Windows (double glazing) HORRIBLE HORRIBLE job. Used to take an hour by bus to get there, worked for a complete bunch of typical salesman tossers, got regularly picked on for being the youngest and left cos I got a bollocking after chucking a bucket of water over the Boss. He sprayed me with a super soaker in the office first, only fair IMO

5) Worked part time on Reception at Daytona International Outdoor Karting Track............ sounds fun............. well it wasn't. I had to collect soaked with sweat race suits along with minging wet, smelly gloves and wash & dry them up to 5 times a day. Also I had to wipe the sweat out of helmets and spray air freshner in them to hide the smell

6) Then of course there was pizza delivery for Dominoes, did that twice, felt like a tit both times but the money worked out very good and if im honest it was a good laugh.

7) Worked 6 months for Hays Crate Services, my job was to count how many plastic crates had been washed by the factory, then allocate crates to suppliers for a large supermarket chain. In laymans terms I told each supplier how many plastic crates they had to deliver food in the next day, there were never enough crates to go round and I constantly had suppliers telling me how crap the service was cos they could never make a complete delivery

8) But my all time most hated job I had was as a Buyer for a large American Satellite Communications Firm. The pay was good but it was the most boring, depressing job in the world. I had to source and buy in small electronics parts that helped make up Satellite kits, I only dealt with part numbers all day in an office without windows and the boss who sat opposite me smelt of coffee all day.

Aside from all those early days shite jobs I've had some great jobs too, so my working career to date hasn't been a complete disaster lol
Old 26-09-2006, 10:38 AM
Martyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I did the pot washing too when I was 14-15.
£2.20 an hour which was pretty good at the time, averaged about 60 quid a week for a couple of weekend shifts which included plenty of free food!

Worst thing I remember about it was that it was in a village and dark as fuck biking home, one night they turned off the flood lights before I had managed to get to the end of the long drive to the road, I veered off and rode straight into the pond! Good fun trying to find my bike and pull it and me out in near pitch black
Old 26-09-2006, 10:43 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

working in a garden centre for £3 (yes THREE) per hour when i was 15.
Old 26-09-2006, 10:43 AM
macker

Gravedigging, as my m8 is selfemployed gravedigger. Couldn`t stick the stench

2nd was injection moulding machine setter Boring, loaded programmes into machine and press start..Stand there for 12 hrs & watch it

3rd Fencing & slabbing.. Again digging holes all day or mixing concrete...
Shite....

Now i work for JCB Transmissions in Wrexham
Build gearboxes for a living. Interesting job & it pays bloody well
Old 26-09-2006, 10:47 AM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

deliverying 400 gazettes for £15 of course most never saw a house
Old 26-09-2006, 04:42 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Nightshift at Walkers crisps.

On the track, 1 bag per second constantly, to be boxed up in 35's in the correct fasion.

No chance of speaking to anyone, to loud and surrounded by big duffer women who's machines seemed to run at a bag every half minute and seemed to break down every 2 hours for 15 minutes, funny that seeing as they seemed to be great chums with the engineers who ran the track

I eventually ran out of daydreams!!! literally had nothing to think about and my mind would just go blank. Sleep all day, see mates in the evening and as they wound down for the night I would jusat be off to work.

NEVER again!!!
Old 26-09-2006, 05:44 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

office funiture moving when i was 14 - 16, used to be the lift boy

as in stay in the lift, pull everything in, take it to the right floor, push it all out for other to take

say a 12hr sat and 8hr sun would pay me about £150 @ 14 i had all they toys
Old 26-09-2006, 05:45 PM
dreamin
PassionFord Post Whore!!

my worst job had to be on a fish stall , when i was about 17-18 getting up @ 4am setting up gutting n selling fish, going home after 12+ hrs for £20-£30 stinkin of fish

wot a mug i was
Old 26-09-2006, 05:52 PM
MONSTER
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Only ever had 1 crap job, working on a production line at a washing machine factory, i was tasked with the high calibre job of clipping some wires to the side panel. All day for 8 bastard hours only lasted 2 days
Old 26-09-2006, 05:56 PM
bigwelshlad

barman when i wasnt allowed to have any pints
Old 26-09-2006, 05:59 PM
gus
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

worked for a agency that supplied workforce for the catering in fords

i washed dishes for 6 months

payed me debts up thou

Quick Reply: Whats the worst job you've ever had?