General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Advice needed **car tax**

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 06:32 AM
james15678
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed **car tax**

morning all, well at half ten this morning im going to pick up my new car but it has no tax. it has mot and it will be insured. but am i legally allowed to drive it or will i get a fine/clamped etc????
Old 09-09-2006, 06:40 AM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

If spotted you will receive a fine and have to pay back-duty.
If you leave it on the highway you may be clamped.

You can tax it at a Post Office ,before 12.30 today,using the Green section, New Keeper Supplement, of the V5, and MOT and Insurance and a big pile of cash of course.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:50 AM
james15678
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

theres the proplem, i wont get my cover note till monday / tuesday. so i cant use it??
Old 09-09-2006, 06:54 AM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Not legally.
If the insurance starts today, and the insurance company have entered the details on the national database, you can tax online using the document ref. number off the V5 supplement.
The Mot details are held on a data base as well.

The only problem is you won't get a disc to display but if you are spotted by a DVLA or police tax camera it won't throw a fine your way.

You'll have to wait a couple of days for the disc to turn up.
If the tax ran out at the end of last month you will be O.K. till the 14th.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:25 AM
Redkop
Member No: 39

Can't you get the person you are getting it from to tax it in their name and you pay for it, then do the necessary change of ownership afterwards?
Old 09-09-2006, 07:32 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It certainly wouldn't stop me driving it
Old 09-09-2006, 07:37 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

as focus v8 says, if you get spotted driving it without tax they will throw a fine your way BUt you can plead that youwere collecting the car and were unaware it had no tax on it, and by the time you figured it all out it was too late

as long as you can proove to a copper who might stop youthat everything else is all above board (they'll probably give you a producer or the like) with the greeen bit of the log book you should be ok driving it back today, but i wouldn't be driving it until at least the cover note turns up

as for the 14 day leeway, that was back in the day when everything was done by hand and not by the big black box on the back seat in the adverts

asking the seller to get the tax for you might also be a problem if the car isn't insured

Trending Topics

Old 09-09-2006, 08:16 AM
fiestasi1800
Part of the Furniture

I'm in exactly the same situation. Probably picking up a saph cos on Tuesday. It has no tax and is currently uninsured so the present owner can't tax it.

It has a full MOT and I will obviously be insuring it on the day if I buy it, but won't have the cover note.

Will the insurance be put onto the national database straight away? Do you need the cover note if you go to the post office or do they do they use the computerised system now?

Cheers
Old 09-09-2006, 09:08 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you get reported and you tax it that month they wont take you to court, if you however get tugged and verbally reported then they could take you to court but you will recive a 50 quid fine out of court settlement for you to pay and back tax from when you bought it,,,,, but you will have taxed it already a so that wont count

basicaly the only thing to worry about is when its parked on the road, apart from that the worst your gonna risj is a 50 quid fine

these are facts and not just assumed things as ive had a mate done for no tax on a car that wasnt in his name and he never bothered to tax it anyway, he got back tax fine and 50 quid out of court offer, think it cost him 63 quid in total