General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

My grief with SCS and Harvey Gibbs

Search this Thread

Old 24-08-2006, 05:24 PM
Richie Russ
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
Originally Posted by Richie Russ
As I keep stating, the failure can only be attributable to:
1. Unlimited boost.
2. Faulty TPS signals.
3. Faulty phase sensor signals.
4. Incorrect inlet cam timing.

None of which can be attributed to Harvey's engine build, hence why in Harvey's opinion Richie had to pay.

When the cam cap failed, obviously an issue to do with Harvey's parts supplied as part of his build - HARVEY PAID FOR THE REPAIR.

IMO, any court case will fail purely because of the fact that the failure can be DIRECTLY attributed to one or all of the items listed above. And after in excess of 9,000miles, even if it was the sensors that failed and NOT the loom as Harvey suspects, it could not be attributable to faulty workmanship or negligence on Harvey's part. The fact that the car is running a 15 year old loom that could cause the issues, and the fact that Richie fitted the engine himself and connected it to the old loom, will be the undoing of any court case (IMHO) .
The thing is Mike, its not just about the piston damage, its also about the other problems with the engine, the horrendous oil leaks, the head gasket failure, he had already fixed the engine once, then the cambelt nearly coming off.........he had offered to fix the engine again, so he is fully aware that more problems were caused due to the workmanship, so surely, the other problems are too, when i put the pectel monitor on the car now (which incidentally is not mine), with the original loom and sensors and it all comes up clear as a bell, how can you explain that ?
How far and how hard have you driven the car with the Pectel monitor on?

When my crank sensor went U/S, it would only show up when driving the car hard and then randomnly. Luckily my monitor is in the car permanently and so I have always got it to refer to.
Well, with the problems i have had and with worn brakes and bearings, not too far and not too hard, but that'll change at the weekend, hopefully as long as nothing else breaks
Old 24-08-2006, 05:26 PM
Richie Russ

[quote="Mike Rainbird

So at what point did you decide it would be a good idea to actually see what boost it was running, before or after it had unlimited boost? . You can be honest here as well... .[/quote]

Mike, you're starting to shoot yourself in the foot here, you need to know ALL the facts matey
Old 24-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

The fact that a pectel monitor shows no errors detected does not mean your wiring loom is fine .I am not prepared to get into a long detailed essay here .
It means excatly what it says there are no errors DETECTED it does not mean that there aren't any faults.It is purely sensor input data that the ecu you are using detects .There are many out put wires and it has no idea wether the info it sent out got to it's destination correctly or infact the device it was instructing recieved and dealt with that data correctly .
Old 24-08-2006, 05:30 PM
Richie Russ

Well, thanks for the input and comments people, and you Mike, no problems at all, im off for a well deserved beverage (in my Vectra)
Old 24-08-2006, 05:38 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As I keep stating, the failure can only be attributable to:
1. Unlimited boost.
2. Faulty TPS signals.
3. Faulty phase sensor signals.
4. Incorrect inlet cam timing.

None of which can be attributed to Harvey's engine build, hence why in Harvey's opinion Richie had to pay.

When the cam cap failed, obviously an issue to do with Harvey's parts supplied as part of his build - HARVEY PAID FOR THE REPAIR.

IMO, any court case will fail purely because of the fact that the failure can be DIRECTLY attributed to one or all of the items listed above. And after in excess of 9,000miles, even if it was the sensors that failed and NOT the loom as Harvey suspects, it could not be attributable to faulty workmanship or negligence on Harvey's part. The fact that the car is running a 15 year old loom that could cause the issues, and the fact that Richie fitted the engine himself and connected it to the old loom, will be the undoing of any court case (IMHO) .
The thing is Mike, its not just about the piston damage, its also about the other problems with the engine, the horrendous oil leaks, the head gasket failure, he had already fixed the engine once, then the cambelt nearly coming off.........he had offered to fix the engine again, so he is fully aware that more problems were caused due to the workmanship, so surely, the other problems are too, when i put the pectel monitor on the car now (which incidentally is not mine), with the original loom and sensors and it all comes up clear as a bell, how can you explain that ?
How far and how hard have you driven the car with the Pectel monitor on?

When my crank sensor went U/S, it would only show up when driving the car hard and then randomnly. Luckily my monitor is in the car permanently and so I have always got it to refer to.
Well, with the problems i have had and with worn brakes and bearings, not too far and not too hard, but that'll change at the weekend, hopefully as long as nothing else breaks
Okay, however PLEASE ensure that it is on the TPS screen and WATCH it like a hawk in wide open throttle situations, as given your current luck, you "could" end up with another rebuild .

Happy to sell you a SECS monitor to monitor things permanently .

I also hope that you realise that I am not taking sides, I am just posting up exactly what Harvey has already told you. However, looking at it objectively I do HONESTLY believe the failure is down to the things I have stated and therefore IMO, you should have stuck with Harvey to sort out the other bits, as he certainly held no grudge and tried his hardest to explain the whys and wherefores. To prove my objectivety, I agree that some of the fitting issues Efe suffered are / were shocking, but the person responsible for that has since been SACKED, as Harvey got fed up with receiving so many similar complaints...

Whenever I have seen issues caused by him on other peoples cars, he has always held his hands up and fixed them. The only time he hasn't is where he has believed the cause has been due to influences / actions / issues outside of his control / not attributable to him.

I bet if you were still to sit down with Harvey and write out a list of issues you have with the car, he would resolve every single one of them (that he felt was attributable to him ) FOC , as one thing he HATES is unhappy customers, BUT he won't be do anything where he feels he is being taken advantage of . Hence why I don't let anyone else touch the car. If there is then a problem I know that he knows it's down to HIM and no-one else.
Old 24-08-2006, 05:40 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I thought he was only going for a partial refund. The money that paid for the new pistons and his loss of earnings etc..

If a total refund of all costs is claimed then as the bill was more than Ł5000 it will go to the county court. Although a case where the claimant seeks more than Ł5000 can still be heard in the small claims court under certain circumstances.
Old 24-08-2006, 05:51 PM
Neddy
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

i bought a 500 engine off SCS best engine i ever had,it never missed a beat.not like when i bought the car it was suppose to have a 500 turbosystems engine in it but i later found out 200 of these horses were dead car cost me 20 grand to buy because of this great TURBOSYSTEMS engine was in it
Old 24-08-2006, 06:08 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the problem with cosworths is that they are very old cars..

ALOT of the probs mentioned seem to be down to the old parts/badluck..

this kind of situation will never be resolved on the net.

it will never stand up in court either...

if the engine supplied is anything other than standard its classed as a "race" engine and these have no warranty other than what you can sort out with the builder.

i believe harvey to be one of the best tuners in the country and surley can build and engine..its more often than not the parts that are connected to the engine that cause the faults.....

one last thing..

you said you hardly drove the car twice in your first post....why did you do nearly 10k on an un mapped engine then?
Old 24-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Keith B
Advanced PassionFord User

To me its jsut common sense to have the motor built and tuned at the same place. I always did that with Power Engineering and never had any issues.
Soon as you start using lots of different people you dont stand a chance (even legally speaking!)
Old 24-08-2006, 06:37 PM
Anonymous
Banned

My input LOL

The only thing that can blow a WRC gasket IMO is too much boost..(i will rule out a shoddy build)

If you was running one tooth out on the inlet..YOUD NOTICE IT...i have experience on that one

Doesnt seem in the least bit strange to me Paul Hills putting a sticker on the chip..thats to signify it was checked and he deemed safe enuff on the base map.

I would think alot of tuners get others to build the engines up if very busy..it aint rocket science Specifications is where its at

This post really does show you why i am DIY
Old 24-08-2006, 06:38 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Keith B
To me its jsut common sense to have the motor built and tuned at the same place. I always did that with Power Engineering and never had any issues.
Soon as you start using lots of different people you dont stand a chance (even legally speaking!)
Harvey doesn't do mapping mate- he uses Ahmed
Old 24-08-2006, 06:42 PM
Chris Honeywell
Advanced PassionFord User

Look Rich you aint gonna win m8 people will argue that you got it wrong and its all your fault for ever!!

Soon as anyone on here complains about service or workmanship
and then people realise its a "respected" tuner etc your gonna get slated
FACT
Thats why i dont hardly ever post on these types of threads as only a select few have opinions that seem to count, and thoses that try to add but maybe are not the best at putting themselves across just get hammered by people picking up on slight differences etc,
Its all designed to make you look less credible m8..

Your wasting your time going to court as he has "YOUR SPECIAL PISTONS" which show det.
And the fact that he aint handing them back is a disgrace-I'd like to see how he can prove they came out of your engine

Oh hang on yeah he marked em with felt tip
Old 24-08-2006, 06:42 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by Shings
That is incorrect, and needs qualifying, Harvey doesn't map Webber software and uses Ahmed for this. However, he does all the Pectel T2 / T6 himself.
Old 24-08-2006, 06:43 PM
cabrio zo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Location: Sudbury Suffolk, Drives: Octavia VRS & XR2i 1800 Zetec track car

As I asked, not that its any of my business but out of interest, I need educating:=

would you be able to tell if the timing was out? As it was the nut replaced would it be standard practice to check the timing was still ok? (as anything to do with cams/belt/timing could put it out?)

Had the air injector wire ever came off? Who fitted the air injection? Would that effect boost control? Surely no-one would've disconnected. And if Ahmed wasn't in a position to say the lose wire hadn't done any damage then why would he give his opinion? (Perhaps he didn't think it'd been off) Had it been off? Sorry to be thick, what exactly does the air injection do? (and don't say inject air!lol)

If the sensors were faulty it would still run fine? Or wouldn't it be noticeable? especially if faulty not broken. You would be miffed if the monitor said sensors were all clear then told the failure could be down to faulty sensor

Z
Old 24-08-2006, 07:10 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by Chris Honeywell
Look Rich you aint gonna win m8 people will argue that you got it wrong and its all your fault for ever!!

Soon as anyone on here complains about service or workmanship
and then people realise its a "respected" tuner etc your gonna get slated
FACT
Thats why i dont hardly ever post on these types of threads as only a select few have opinions that seem to count, and thoses that try to add but maybe are not the best at putting themselves across just get hammered by people picking up on slight differences etc,
Its all designed to make you look less credible m8..

Your wasting your time going to court as he has "YOUR SPECIAL PISTONS" which show det.
And the fact that he aint handing them back is a disgrace-I'd like to see how he can prove they came out of your engine

Oh hang on yeah he marked em with felt tip
Chris,
I hope you're not referring to me . I was ASKED to put up Harvey's side of things and have done so. Obviously it is only fair to have both sides .

Do you HONESTLY think that Harvey keeps a set of pistons to one side that he can mirculously produce as evidence?

Why would you doubt that they came from Richie's engine - where else would they come from ? And if they didn't as you seem to be implying, there's no need for him to give them back is there ?
Old 24-08-2006, 07:12 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Official PassionFord Trader
Administrator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Wow.. what a mess this post has turned into!!

The only point i see here as worth clarifying is this:

"IF" the softwares branding has been changed on the chip as is "Alleged" then the chip has definately, 100% been changed as it is not "Alterable" and you then have problems...

I "Presume" you still have this ecu and chip? If so, feel free to call in here and i will fire it up on the PC in front of you and any single witness you choose and you can put an end to that side of things once and for all as its very easy to see in the data so you will personally be able to see and understand it. Here is an example...

The text in the top right corner is what is displayed on teh pectel monitor at boot up as "Chip ID" Mine means:
MSD 83lb siemens injectors, closed loop active.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/06...map1Medium.jpg

Some tuners have more complex stuff such as mappers and customers name and registration. Including mine of course...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/06...map2Medium.jpg
The "RI" after his name signifies its a boost and rev limited chip supplied for running in only, and has to be returned for live mapping.

This info may or may not be of help, but will at least hopefully be of interest....
Old 24-08-2006, 07:19 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by cabrio zo
As I asked, not that its any of my business but out of interest, I need educating:=

would you be able to tell if the timing was out? As it was the nut replaced would it be standard practice to check the timing was still ok? (as anything to do with cams/belt/timing could put it out?)
It should have been checked.

Had the air injector wire ever came off? Who fitted the air injection? Would that effect boost control? Surely no-one would've disconnected. And if Ahmed wasn't in a position to say the lose wire hadn't done any damage then why would he give his opinion? (Perhaps he didn't think it'd been off) Had it been off? Sorry to be thick, what exactly does the air injection do? (and don't say inject air!lol)
According to what Ahmed told Harvey, someone had disconnected the wire to the air injectors and then pushed it back inside the sleaving to make it look like they were still connected . The injectors are used as a more accurate form of boost control. But they need to be connected to work. If they are disconnected, they give unlimited boost.

If the sensors were faulty it would still run fine? Or wouldn't it be noticeable? especially if faulty not broken. You would be miffed if the monitor said sensors were all clear then told the failure could be down to faulty sensor
Z
Harvey believes it is down to the LOOM giving faulty sensor SIGNALS not the sensors themselves. But until the loom is replaced he wouldn't load test it in any way.
Old 24-08-2006, 07:21 PM
Anonymous
Banned

...after reading the whole post i can see Simon is again backstabbing Harvey ...Using 2 of his usernames by mentioning Monte with the alias..
Old 24-08-2006, 07:22 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
Wow.. what a mess this post has turned into!!

The only point i see here as worth clarifying is this:

"IF" the softwares branding has been changed on the chip as is "Alleged" then the chip has definately, 100% been changed as it is not "Alterable" and you then have problems...

I "Presume" you still have this ecu and chip? If so, feel free to call in here and i will fire it up on the PC in front of you and any single witness you choose and you can put an end to that side of things once and for all as its very easy to see in the data so you will personally be able to see and understand it. Here is an example...

The text in the top right corner is what is displayed on the pectel monitor at boot up as "Chip ID" Mine means:
MSD 83lb siemens injectors, closed loop active.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/06...map1Medium.jpg

Some tuners have more complex stuff such as mappers and customers name and registration. Including mine of course...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/06...map2Medium.jpg
The "RI" after his name signifies its a boost and rev limited chip supplied for running in only, and has to be returned for live mapping.

This info may or may not be of help, but will at least hopefully be of interest....
Stu,
Unfortunately since the EA changes to the chip, Ahmed has properly checked it over and changed it back to how it should be....

I also have our conversation about Cossies at ND ringing round my ears .
Old 24-08-2006, 07:24 PM
Anonymous
Banned

...BTW,Mike are we friends again?
Old 24-08-2006, 07:26 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by Bosch-Man
...BTW,Mike are we friends again?
No, you're STILL a cunt .
Old 24-08-2006, 07:28 PM
bigad4x4
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Old 24-08-2006, 07:29 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

Stu,
Unfortunately since the EA changes to the chip, Ahmed has properly checked it over and changed it back to how it should be....

I also have our conversation about Cossies at ND ringing round my ears .
Oh damn, sorry, i thought this was figured out AFTER it was mapped, i am a gimp.

I know what you mean about ND pal. Best of luck, i will think of you when im in the pool at St Tropez this time next week.

Richie Russ, hope you get something sorted to all your mutual satisfactions. Not a nice position to be in for ANYBODY.
Old 24-08-2006, 07:32 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

That is incorrect, and needs qualifying, Harvey doesn't map Webber software and uses Ahmed for this. However, he does all the Pectel T2 / T6 himself.
My apologies- I was meerly conmenting on the fact that maybe Keith assumed he'd taken it else where as Richie wanted to..

As for the respected tuner thing- I can tell you now- If it was a customer of Karls moaning he wouldn't get as many people stick up for him- in fact the knife would be twisted as far round as it could go.

Jake
Old 24-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Anonymous
Banned

...yep Mike loves me again
Old 24-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Butch.
PassionFord Post Troll

stu is right that is a position that no1 wants to be in

the wonderful world of passionford a
Old 24-08-2006, 07:37 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Stu you getting itchy feet yet the weather is great at the moment

I will be there from the 1st and it's sorted for a tour if your still keen,

Richie i hope you get this sorted and that Harvey also does not suffer any UNFAIR comments etc

Mike
Old 24-08-2006, 07:38 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

My apologies- I was meerly conmenting on the fact that maybe Keith assumed he'd taken it else where as Richie wanted to..

As for the respected tuner thing- I can tell you now- If it was a customer of Karls moaning he wouldn't get as many people stick up for him- in fact the knife would be twisted as far round as it could go.

Jake
What makes you say that, I thought that Karl had a very good "fan" base ?
Old 24-08-2006, 07:41 PM
Anonymous
Banned

...i can tell you now..Karl and Stu and MAD are 3 tuners which i can garantee wont have any slaggings from people who have used them EVER IMHO.

...and each one of them,i am proud to say is my mate
Old 24-08-2006, 07:42 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

...i can tell you now..Karl and Stu and MAD are 3 tuners which i can garantee wont have any slaggings from people who have used them EVER IMHO.

Are you using the term MATE lossely

Mike
Old 24-08-2006, 07:43 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

But would they say the same about you ?
Old 24-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Disabled Account
Banned

Yeah, and each of them speak very highly of you too Phil
Old 24-08-2006, 07:46 PM
bigad4x4

Jake
That shocks me saying that Karl is good at what he does and is

well respected on here or so i thought untill you said that jake,

Karl is a top gezza and i have the highest level of respect for him

won't hear a bad word said about him
Old 24-08-2006, 07:47 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Jake
What makes you say that, I thought that Karl had a very good "fan" base ?
He does Mike- dont get me wrong, Karl has a shit loads of fans, I believe I am one of the main culprits and with good course- I am yet to hear of anyone saying a bad word about him- and to be honest I doubt you will.. but I've seen loads of posts in the past where people question and question and question the things he says and does, and in my opinion if somet kicked off on the dreaded internet that we all love so much it would be an ABUSE Karl thread within seconds- all in my opinion of course and totally off topic..

Jake
Old 24-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Anonymous
Banned

...well Doug/Jock/Mike

.....if they dont consider me a friend and slag me off....i wouldnt be surprised...

...remember your best friend could be your enemy,you really dont know.

I only know how i feel.
Old 24-08-2006, 07:50 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

off topic

does anyone have a contact number for Karl pls? I need to arrange to pick up my NMS cooler which I havent bothered to pick up for 3 years
Old 24-08-2006, 07:51 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

Really looking forward to my Tour Mike, feet are well itchy, but also covered in boxes as between now, and then, i have to MOVE HOUSE. See you in teh Sun on the 1st.

Sorry for going off topic
Old 24-08-2006, 07:51 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by bigad4x4

Jake

No you got me wrong- he is extremely well respected -
In life there are always people who dislike succesfull people and I honestly think IF anything like this ever got posted on the dreaded internet regarding Karls work it would be like I said...

But I doubt it would ever get that far- the bloke is excellent at his job, pretty shit hot with the customer care side of things and always happy to help when problems arise- its why he has the rep he does...

EDIT TO SAY
Incidently this is in no way and not even in the slightest a sly dig at Karl/NMS at all ever.. not in the slightest- Karl is one of my best mates and is having my car to work on in the next few weeks.

Jake
Old 24-08-2006, 07:56 PM
bigad4x4

Jake

In life there are always people who dislike succesfull people and I honestly think IF anything like this ever got posted on the dreaded internet regarding Karls work it would be like I said...

But I doubt it would ever get that far- the bloke is excellent at his job, pretty shit hot with the customer care side of things and always happy to help when problems arise- its why he has the rep he does...

EDIT TO SAY
Incidently this is in no way and not even in the slightest a sly dig at Karl/NMS at all ever.. not in the slightest- Karl is one of my best mates and is having my car to work on in the next few weeks.

Jake
Sorry buddy Karl is a great bloke and i have NEVER herd anyone

say a bad work about him or NMS
Old 24-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Jake

EDIT TO SAY

Jake
Sorry buddy Karl is a great bloke and i have NEVER herd anyone

say a bad work about him or NMS
And long may that tradition continue- although he needs to get better biscuits- Karlos if you're reading ( Or Mark ) tell him to sort out some Chocolate digestives for next time Emma is out.

Jake

Quick Reply: My grief with SCS and Harvey Gibbs