General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.
View Poll Results: ebay or ford fair
ebay
55.56%
ford fair
44.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

WHO SPENT MONEY ON PARTS AT FORD FAIR AND WHAT DID YOU BUY

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 07:25 AM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have never sold 1 item on e/bay

Cant be bothered with all the stupid questions that i know i will get will that l6 ecu run my fiesta with a 30000 bhp engine in it

I have better things to do with my life than read thousands of e/mails from idiots with fook all better to do at work all day

Paul
Old 08-08-2006, 09:03 AM
JC
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i personally trade on ebay but its not the same as doing a show
roose motorsport dident go because the stall was to dear i spoke to him
i have booked nat day and the indoor shw so i wil see how i get on
ebay can be a good thing and there are bargains but there are pit falls
example
if you go to a show and see a part on my stall ask how much do a bit of haggling which i enjoy then that is one to one if i sell that part on ebay you place a bid then you are one to milions
if you say shows are to premote your buisness and if you sell thats a bonus bollocks shows and stalls for traders are only about money
other wise you are adding to your anual overheads
i have changed my buisiness lately i have bought a genralgarage and i own an mot station also just bought some lock up garages and some property so the parts has become a sideline where as it used to be my livlyhood
ask yourseles this if you where charged Ł100 entrance fee to the show so as the traders can go free whould you pay it ?
the cost has to go some where ussallly to us
the internet and web sites are a good thing fuck im on one now but
more people have acess to unlimited knowlage of every subject so aknock on effect happens
ie ford fair as an example
hire of siverstone gone up due to public liabilty etc more claims going in for sneezing and givingyourselves whip lash etc
so higher entrance fee ,wages for organizers go up with inflation
fuel prices etc you can get the picture
so what happens is the the cost is past down
so when punters whant there parts for unrealistic prices thats when traders loose out either go out of business or charge accordingly
i personally dont sell things to people that they dont need if some one asks will it fit then i now that is what you are paying traders for their experteeze and knolage in thier field
it will be a sad day when thier are no traders at the show
like it or not although we all love are cars not many of us whould drive hours to pay to see aload of cars pollished on a field and have no trade stands to browse etc
finally i now why the burgers and food at the shows are so dear
youve guessed it the price of thier pitches
i done the donny show 2 years ago and there was a burger stall next to me he was charged Ł7000 was smaller than mine00 for his stall and it wqs smaller than mine
thanks jc
Old 08-08-2006, 09:17 AM
Dirty Harry
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to add a note to JCs post which I totally agree with,just to put you cahps in the picture trade stands at national day
4mx 6m Ł150
8mx 6m Ł210
12mx6m Ł250
16mx 6m Ł310
plus wages plus traveling costs plus time taken to prepare to go there

Auto jumble (where the bedroom trader boys go)
4mx 4m Ł75 (and they usually have 2)
Old 08-08-2006, 11:03 AM
ellicoss
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I have brought alot of parts from ebay but only parts where i know i cant go wrong but when im spending good money i always go to a trader as i want to see what im buying call me old fashion but thats the way i am plus i make a day out when i go to see pete as i just love looking at what you have got.ebay just cant match that
Old 08-08-2006, 11:50 AM
topaz
1K+ Super Poster!!

only thing i bought was 12 massive microfibre cloths for Ł10

it was a load of overpriced scrap (the stuff I was interested in)

Ł400 for a non genuine mk2 rs2000 exhaust? your havin a laugh mate, its not even a ford one.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:06 PM
JC
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

he might have had to sell it for that price to cover his stall costs
Old 09-08-2006, 12:16 AM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I wasn't at FordFair so can't comment specifically, but my main gripe with shows is usually the state of secondhand parts - they are invariably covered in mud, oil and any other crap picked up along the way, to the extent where you can't tell if it's good or bad, so I can't be arsed rooting through it and getting filthy. This was really highlighted at the Holland RS show I went to a couple of years back, all the traders there at least managed to clean the worst of the crap off so you could see what they had - with the one exception of a UK trader who had transported half a van of mud and grease there as usual... surprisingly he wasn't too busy.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:33 AM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

Seeing as all the traders are here if any of you have an xr3i radiator please let me know
Old 09-08-2006, 07:49 AM
Dirty Harry
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by richm
I wasn't at FordFair so can't comment specifically, but my main gripe with shows is usually the state of secondhand parts - they are invariably covered in mud, oil and any other crap picked up along the way, to the extent where you can't tell if it's good or bad, so I can't be arsed rooting through it and getting filthy. This was really highlighted at the Holland RS show I went to a couple of years back, all the traders there at least managed to clean the worst of the crap off so you could see what they had - with the one exception of a UK trader who had transported half a van of mud and grease there as usual... surprisingly he wasn't too busy.
if you want to see a proffesional trader mate who presents all his parts clean and tidy,seats repaired all parts steamed cleaned ,exhausts split so they can be carried away,see my pitch at national day if i can ever get through to book it,People moan about prices these parts dont fall off the cars and clean them selfs you know,
by the way I too wasnt impresed with the standards that was at FF
Old 09-08-2006, 08:01 AM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

nice one Pete..
I appreciate it "costs" to clean stuff, but surely it costs more to transport crap round the country and home again because it didn't sell.. Surely cleaning the parts is equivalent to window dressing - an age old retail plan to encourage people into yr shop... rather than boarding up the window and leaving the light off inside
Old 09-08-2006, 11:07 AM
Taylor
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Managed to refrain this year as i'm renovating a house!But if i wasn't then no doubt i probably would have bought things as like every other year/show!