General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

What incentive to leave your job after 20 years?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 10:45 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What incentive to leave your job after 20 years?

For another in the same line of business?

I am going for an interview on Wednesday after being in the same job for 20 years.
I like what i do,im an Aerospace toolmaker,it can be a bit frustrating as all jobs can be,I have my own section now aswell.

But im not sure what to ask for in wages,the travel alone would mean an extra £2300 a year in petrol nevermind a wage increase for me personaly.

What would you want ?

Help me guys
Old 04-08-2006, 10:49 PM
gurnE
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on your total salary but I'd want a fair chunk to cover the extra travelling time too.

£2300 in petrol is a fair few extra hours driving to/from work!

How valuable is your time
Old 04-08-2006, 10:51 PM
david
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Extra 5.5-7.5k per year plus better personal health-plan and pension not to mention any possible bonuses.

but at the end of the day will you be any happier doing the same thing at a different place ??

Lots to think about.......
Old 04-08-2006, 11:04 PM
leecavturbo
Advanced PassionFord User

couldn't stand to be a factory rat myself
Old 04-08-2006, 11:05 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by leecavturbo
couldn't stand to be a factory rat myself
that helped
Old 04-08-2006, 11:08 PM
Katie

Maybe ask more than you ''want'' to see what they say?..you never know you might just get it..and thus you are convinced!

If you have no real problems at current work though and it's closer, money is fair..why leave? Fancy a change? But bear in mind you may end up somewhere worse..

Good luck with your decision
Old 04-08-2006, 11:08 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Katie
Maybe ask more than you ''want'' to see what they say?..you never know you might just get it..and thus you are convinced!

If you have no real problems at current work though and it's closer, money is fair..why leave? Fancy a change? But bear in mind you may end up somewhere worse..

Good luck with your decision
thanks

Trending Topics

Old 04-08-2006, 11:19 PM
philram
Mulechild

i served my time as a toolmaker 16 yrs ago.. and i'm now a cnc turner making parts for the aero industry. as you will know finding good toolmakers these days is very difficult, so the pay has to reflect that. alot will depend where you live... up here a toolmakers basic is about £18-20k., but with your experience i'd want atleast £22k basic. obviously adjust to your region.

but remember, the grass isn't always greener...... i now this from experience i was lucky to get back in with an ex-employer again.

seriously consider all the options though, do the interview and have a look round, then see how you feel... have a word with anyone that works there, or has, they will tell you what its really like hopefully.

good luck either way
Old 04-08-2006, 11:26 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by camel46
i served my time as a toolmaker 16 yrs ago.. and i'm now a cnc turner making parts for the aero industry. as you will know finding good toolmakers these days is very difficult, so the pay has to reflect that. alot will depend where you live... up here a toolmakers basic is about £18-20k., but with your experience i'd want atleast £22k basic. obviously adjust to your region.

but remember, the grass isn't always greener...... i now this from experience i was lucky to get back in with an ex-employer again.

seriously consider all the options though, do the interview and have a look round, then see how you feel... have a word with anyone that works there, or has, they will tell you what its really like hopefully.

good luck either way
im on £24k at the minute this job im looking at is for £25k
Old 04-08-2006, 11:34 PM
philram
Mulechild

for that much travelling and leaving a job with 20yrs service i'd want 30k.. no less. your fuel bill and the extra time travelling are worth that alone.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:12 AM
Micky The Finn
Former Sponsor

so your contemplatting a wage cut plus taking at least 300 hours a year more travelling to work,

this is a no brainer in my book,whats to even think about?
Old 05-08-2006, 06:37 AM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

If I was your potential new employer I would be suspicious of why you wanted to change to a job where you would be financially worse off and have to travel a lot more, unless you were asking for a good pay increase, ( but it seems to be already set at £25k?) and could justify me giving it to you, and I could justify paying it to you.
I don't think I'd be offering you the job.

If I was a toolmaker and could work to Aeorspace tolerances I'd be looking for a job in Formula 1.

Old 05-08-2006, 08:14 AM
nthorpey
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

As above , i've just left a job as a cnc programmer/operator/maintenance/charge hand etc etc for a small pay cut but gone to a completely different job (sales!)

The wages are starting to rise again for properly 'skilled' people and I'd not even think about a 1K rise for that journey, i used to be on 28k (in essex) and wouldn't think about going back for less than 30k.

stick to your guns and ask for more money!
Old 05-08-2006, 08:26 AM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

well this is it guys,

Theres no way i would lose money to go to a new job,thats why im asking.

So Basically i need more than £26,300 to move and break even.

So how much extra do you think i should ask for?
Old 05-08-2006, 08:26 AM
mattbibs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

having a 2 minute walk to work myself i cant understand why you'd want to add to your commute! its not just the fuel bill either - maintaining your car and the hours lost behind the wheel would be a big no no for me personally!

but you never know - ask for 30k a year and they might agree. worth a try if you have nothing to lose and your current job is safe!
Old 05-08-2006, 08:30 AM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by mattbibs
ask for 30k a year and they might agree. worth a try if you have nothing to lose and your current job is safe!
Sounds like a plan
Old 05-08-2006, 08:35 AM
gurnE
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by st3v3
well this is it guys,

Theres no way i would lose money to go to a new job,thats why im asking.

So Basically i need more than £26,300 to move and break even.

Alot more than 26.3k!

An extra £2300 in petrol @ 30mpg and an average speed of 40mph is an extra 8 hours commuting each week

Are you really prepared to give that time away for nothing???
Old 05-08-2006, 08:42 AM
Mark V8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 166 Likes on 145 Posts

I've been toolmaking at the same place for 22 years, if you like it where you are go for the other job then use it as a lever to get more money out of your boss

Mark
Old 05-08-2006, 08:44 AM
philram
Mulechild

Originally Posted by st3v3
As i said before... £30k no less
Old 05-08-2006, 08:45 AM
nigel b
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

engineers are few and far between nowadays
we are advertising for cnc grinder
cnc turners
jig borers etc.. but as we dont pay well(overtime makes it up)we havent had anyone after them,and we are in the aerospace industry
Old 05-08-2006, 09:22 AM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by nigel b
cnc turners
jig borers etc.. but as we dont pay well(overtime makes it up)we havent had anyone after them,and we are in the aerospace industry
I know what you mean there,the other guys are on about £9.00p/h which isnt a lot really,sad when you think that the business we're in should comand a lot more.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:00 PM
Mark V8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 166 Likes on 145 Posts

The Chinese are KILLING the injection mould tool industry with cheap imports in my area firms are closing because they can't compete and we are short on work at the moment You do a 4 year apprenticeship and then spend the rest still learning the trade only for Tony B Liar to spunk away all our industry because he is too busy poking his nose into other countries and not giving a fuck about ours

The labour party suck ass in a big way, nepotistic bunch of cunts should not be allowed to be in charge of a train set let alone a whole country
.Totally irrelavent pic because it make me happy and forget about my woes

Mark
Old 05-08-2006, 10:13 PM
philram
Mulechild

agree with everything you say mate... all are business is going to china and the eastern block.
i'm with you on the stress relief aswell
Old 06-08-2006, 06:44 AM
starturbo
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by nigel b
cnc turners
Thats half the problem isnt it?crap pay.I also work in the aerospace industry working on aircraft,inspecting them and putting them together.Some of you might have flown on a jet that Ive helped put together and we get scalped by companies who take it for granted that we will work for peanuts.More and more younger lads dont wanna get there hands dirty so its making our services more valuable in some places they are so short of aircraft engineers that theyve started taking on garage mechanics and quick fit fitters to plug the holes.I am sure these guys are good mechanics but they lack the years of experience needed to do the job.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:22 AM
CJBear
Part of the Furniture

I wa chatting to a guy at work about this he used to work for rolls royce areospace doing tool turning whatever that is, becuase of his age he cant get another job nowhere let alone training to update his skills. So moving with paycut could pay off in long run if ther real chance of moving up with regular training and development makes your more valuable as industry changes you be top of the game.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:06 AM
Clare
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Take the money out of the equation and try and make a decision based on that. At the end of the day no one can make the decision for you to change jobs but I would make sure you are 100% sure first.

My Dad is a Toolmaker (Tool Room Supervisor), and had worked for the same Company for 30 years. He was finally made redundant in February after being on Redundancy Notice for over a year, he was one of the last to finish there before the Company folded. 6 months later he has still not been able to find a job that could offer him the working atmosphere, decent working hours and a half decent salary (and he didnt get a pay out either as the Company collapsed due to the dying economy!).

Even outside of that industry, I know ive left a job in the past that I was reasonably happy with just because I got offered a significantly higher salary elsewhere. It turned out to be the worst decision I have made in my working life and after 6 months I left the new Company and went temping just cos I hated the place so much.

What im trying to say is, it is very true that the grass isn´t always greener especially if you are quite content where you are. It cant hurt to go along for the interview and see what they´ve got to say, but speak to existing employees with the new Company, see if they are happy working there, is the Pension scheme any good, are the facilities available good / better?
Its a big step leaving a Company you´ve been working at for 20 years, as an óld timer´there you will probably be entitled to a certain degree of lee-way that prehaps new starters wouldn´t be ie: If you had a family energency you are more likely to be told ´take as long as you like off to sort things out´whereas at a new Company you´d probably be given 1-2 days maximum. Small things like this can make all the difference, so remember to base your decision on the whole package and not just on the wage increase.

Good luck with whatever route you choose to take, but dont be blinded by money!