General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

hpi reports-pain in the ass

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 03:37 PM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hpi reports-pain in the ass

just thought i would share this with you and see if anyone else has had any experiences.

got a car at weekend from a trade mate of mine-came with an experian trade hpi report from april stating everything clear.usual thing when you buy off a mate"docs are in the glovebox""ok mate"

anyway looked at the v5 and it says on it"rebuilt-assembled from parts some or all of which were not new"and its a 1991 car but registered on the v5 24th nov 1998.as you can imagine i became suspicious

did a cheap £9.99 vehicle check and it came up as cat b write off in 1997.

got in touch with my mate and he says its come with an experian trade hpi report which is clear-yours must be wrong.so i get a £39.99 one done by hpi themselves which screams up"cat b listed-should have been crushed".so surely 2 cannot be wrong.i ring my mate up again and tell him.
he then goes to a local main dealer he trades with to do another experian check and it shows clear again,and he is trying to stand on this.

ive rung experian and they said they will investigate it and to contact them in 24/48 hrs,but while she was on she asked me if it said anyhting on the v5 so i told her it said rebuilt,blah,blah and she said it really shouldnt be on the road if it says that-so surely experian have cocked up here.ill find out hopefully tomorrow

but of course my trade mate doesnt want to give me any cash back even though ive offered to still buy it to break it but for obviously less money.

watch this space

anyone else in the trade/private come across anything like this with experian?

in my opinion it all seems to point to experian being wrong......
Old 10-07-2006, 03:46 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Have you ever been with him when it has come up all clear?

Sounds to me like your 'mate' is lying...
Old 10-07-2006, 03:46 PM
Frogford
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

brother used to be 'in the trade' and if anything had been Experian HPI'd then they were always HPI elsewhere. When I sold the cossie and bought the scenic (dont laugh !!! Im a family man now ! ) The Scenic had an Experian HPI certificate. Brother said he would HPI it himself. Low and behold there was outstcnding finance owning on the Sceneic. All was sorted as the previous owners had only just cleared the finance. Had to wait a week or so before the HPI came back clear (no the scenic is not as much fun as my old cossie, but I know its not gonna breakdown as many times )
Old 10-07-2006, 03:48 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Some mate the guy is for a start he should give you the cash back..
& surley experian should compinsate you as you trusted them & bought the car what a situation..
Old 10-07-2006, 03:50 PM
Paddy
Legend

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

We use Experian and HPi for just this reason, it happens both way rounds as well, normally HPi won't show finance and Experian will.

If he's done the Experian himself he should be indemnified against it up to a certain value [depending on which package he's chosen].

It's basically an insurance so Experian may be liable to refund some money towards the car, or the total value of the car. Never had to go that far so don't know how easy it is to do.

However, sounds like he got the Dealer to Experian it, so it's down to them as it was probably checked on their Experian account.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:50 PM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ive got the printout from the main dealers for the clear report with todays date on it.
problem with me and experian is i havent used them to get the info,it was someone else at the dealers so they would be the ones to stand for compensation,but it was a favour and not a car they were trading in.

bit of a mess.but either way if it comes to light that experian have given wrong information they must be liable one way or another.its not like its one of those little"we will check your car for 50p" companies is it?
Old 10-07-2006, 03:56 PM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

just glad it wasnt a really expensive car that i had bought from someone privately with the experian printout,then sold on to someone-just shows
Old 10-07-2006, 04:00 PM
Paddy
Legend

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fordsportjay
but it was a favour and not a car they were trading in.
This situation is exactly the sort of reason why I tell people to fook off when they ask me to check a car out for them [which happens FAR too frequently on here ].

If I was you I'd get some legal advice as this trader mate used due diligence by getting a check done and I VERY much doubt the dealer that checked it will be interested in making a claim against Experian. It would after all be done on their account and I can't see them jumping at the chance to do anything about it
Old 10-07-2006, 04:06 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paddy
Originally Posted by fordsportjay
but it was a favour and not a car they were trading in.
This situation is exactly the sort of reason why I tell people to fook off when they ask me to check a car out for them [which happens FAR too frequently on here ].

If I was you I'd get some legal advice as this trader mate used due diligence by getting a check done and I VERY much doubt the dealer that checked it will be interested in making a claim against Experian. It would after all be done on their account and I can't see them jumping at the chance to do anything about it
Thats the thing with doing HPi's for someone else when you're a trader- you're the person that gets the questions and you get all the comeback- while the person who got the HPi report and was warned off a potential purchase has no grief..
Old 10-07-2006, 05:43 PM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

its not over yet,once experian have done their check over the next 24hrs or so they will let me know whats what.im pretty sure that i will end up with some cash back and the car for breaking which i dont mind.if not ill take it further but my mate buys from the trade and moves them on quickly to smaller traders and im sure he doesnt want a dent in his reputation!!!
Old 10-07-2006, 05:45 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Hope it works out ok for you jay,mind you you're a big fooker so i imagine you'll get your money back one way or another.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:18 PM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

hey i may be big but im a pussycat-honest

too old now and a bit wiser so it takes a lot to get me wound up
Old 10-07-2006, 07:32 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Only kidding m8.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:46 PM