General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Anyone know about Speedboats?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 07:29 AM
andyescos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know about Speedboats?

I want one! I only wanna spend about £3000 between me and a mate, something like the below one on ebay, but what do you need to have one? Insurance? is there a test to drive them? where can you launch it etc? We just wanna take the lil boys down the coast every now and again and have a laugh, a bit of skiing, some fishing etc.
Anyone got one or know anything about them?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPEED-BOAT-FLE...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 02-07-2006, 11:20 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i think both mike rainbird,, and mike dangerous know about boats mate

both worth sending a pm, as you know you can trust there replys
Old 02-07-2006, 11:52 AM
Greg Shepherd
Chasing Radders

You will need to sort out some insurance with atleast 3 million third party best to have it just incase you hit someone or something

and you can do coarses with the rya in powerboating

have look on there website

www.rya.org.uk

as for the boat on ebay thats the perfect starter boat still looks good will be fast and wont break the bank balance
Old 02-07-2006, 02:50 PM
andyescos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

cool, Mike R are you out there?
Old 02-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The engine is a 2 stroke, so servicing can be expensive. I would recommend that you find out it can run properly first. If he is unwilling to take you for a test drive in it, then suggest running up the engine inside a wheely-bin (as they are water cooled, but get their cooling from the water the boat is running in, so needs to be done in a wheely bin to stop it over-heating). It will be natural for it to smoke while it is cold (even 2 stoke bikes do this ), but once warmed up, if it still smokes, walk away, as an overhaul WILL be expensive. Obviously you need to establish when it was last serviced (if at all from the description).

The Fletcher's are nice looking boats, but with the narrow V hull can be a bit skittish in the wakes of other boats / big waves.

The engine is also very powerful for the size of boat, which will make it "interesting" .

Ours is an old Broom Scorpio (7 seater) with a piddly ickle Yamaha 85bhp engine on and small prop to pull you out of the water quickly (top speed limited to about 40mph), it's great fun though and a nice thing to get your kids into . I've been water-skiing since the age of 11 .
Old 02-07-2006, 08:01 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I didnt have you down for a water skier Mike ............

Mike
Old 02-07-2006, 10:17 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have driven speed/power boats/rescue boats on inland water and some coastal for many years.. slightly different purpose to yours allbeit as I used them for instructing and Rescue duties.

You dont NEED a license or owt but its always a good idea to get some basic sort of training depending on what you want to do with it- boats and water can be extremely dangerous if you're inexperienced or untrained.

In my day RYA Level 1 and 2 was basic and then I think it was level 3 and 4 and then Instructor.. ( been a while)
its changed a bit now..

The equivelant of my qualifcation is RYA Safetyboat which is probably over kill for what you want. Go for 1+2 - They would probably do it as a
bundle as 1 is very basic.

If you're going to do some costal work you'd prob want to do a night course and get the RYA Dayskipper qualification which again is prob over kill but would help with your understanding of the sea.

At least you then have some knowledge- being a fire fighter I'd imagine safety is a paramount issue for you.

A good idea would be to ring the RYA they're quite helpfull- tell them what you want to do and let them suggest some courses for you.

Hope this helps.

Jake
Old 03-07-2006, 08:04 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jock
I didnt have you down for a water skier Mike ............

Mike
I have MANY hidden talents .
Old 03-07-2006, 08:15 AM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I'll take your word for it

Mike
Old 03-07-2006, 09:47 AM
topaz
1K+ Super Poster!!

If its going on the sea it might be a bit small if you have some waves, engine is powerful on that one but not the best make (johnson) great for lakes though.

I have a 15ft fletcher with a 75hp mercury and insurance is about £140 a year, it is my first boat and i take it on on Anglesey (fair weather) Last year we used it about 5 times only, so expensive toy.

May I reccommend Professional Powerboat Training in Pwellei, I did a course a couple of years ago and passed RYA Level 2 powerboat and VHF, it was cheap too (about £200 for 2 full days including lunch and lots of boat practice on a RIB)

My next boat purchase will be a RIB about 6m with a big engine as you can use it in crappy weather (which we get a lot of).

Mine could be for sale if a RIB comes up, but its prolly over your budget as its a newer model and minty mint.

Old 03-07-2006, 05:19 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by topaz
VHF
Yeh good point- would also be of help on the sea- maybe

Jake
Old 03-07-2006, 05:50 PM
GOODYST24
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

that outboard is way too big for that boat that boat will fookin fly wit that on. never really herd any bad reports about them fletcher gtos all fletchers are really good boats in generalbut
with that engine on it would prob be good fun but unstable and will drink fuel like you would not belive. if you do go for it make sure it has power trim and tilt coz them old johnsons engines are heavy as fook. me and my dad have had 18 boats over the years and if your stating out on the boatin front that size boat is ideal but with somethin like a 70hp max have a years fun out of it and then go for bigger and better each year.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:24 PM
dumped
Advanced PassionFord User

As long as you are happy to work on it - looking at the seats i bet the bases are rotten and wont take much to break. Another thing to check and will sound odd - boats do rot and i have seen fletchers of near that age cost owners a hell of a lot of man hours to put right.

With that big an engine on it i would also give the transom a serious look at as i have ripped them out before - almost lost an engine off the back of a ring race boat before!

Johnsons do sound crap - the starter sounds the worst but have not had major grief with them - usually seem underpowered compared to the counterparts. Could save a lot of fuel/oil by getting a boat with the correct sized engine on it.

If it had the hydraulics done check if it was the steering or the trim - would be nice to be both, depends what the seller means.

On a funnier note - I did the wheelie bin run with a black max 200hp at the side of my house one winter - neighbour loved it when i put it in gear
Old 05-07-2006, 05:06 PM
andyescos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cheers for all the info lads, Topaz, that's a stunning boat, how much do ones like that go for?
Shings, what sort of qualifications do you have and what do you do? The reason why I as is the gut who I do the Rescue cover for "Top Gear" through uses some of the Firefighters I work with who are "Swift water rescue" qualified and he's allways turning down work doing the sort of stuff that I spose you do? Gos some details buddy and I'll forward them on to him.

Cheers again all, We're going to have a look at a few boats this weekend hopefully, yes, all with smaller engines,

Cheers again,
Andy
Old 05-07-2006, 05:15 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by andyescos
Cheers for all the info lads, Topaz, that's a stunning boat, how much do ones like that go for?
Shings, what sort of qualifications do you have and what do you do? The reason why I as is the gut who I do the Rescue cover for "Top Gear" through uses some of the Firefighters I work with who are "Swift water rescue" qualified and he's allways turning down work doing the sort of stuff that I spose you do? Gos some details buddy and I'll forward them on to him.

Cheers again all, We're going to have a look at a few boats this weekend hopefully, yes, all with smaller engines,

Cheers again,
Andy
I have my Saftey boat certificate and Sailing Instructors certificate. Unft my Saftey boat ticket is more or less useless with an expired first aid certificate.

Basically I taught sailing around the country in my spare time when I was younger- its not somet I am really into any more- its more a pleasure thing now. BUT thanks very much for the offer.

Edit to say- Sailing and boats and anything associated is a very rich mans game and although I got by ok... its not somet I can really get back into when I have a passion for shonky old fords.

Jake
Old 05-07-2006, 05:22 PM
topaz
1K+ Super Poster!!

pm sent
Old 06-07-2006, 11:52 AM
WD Pro
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

That boat is near identical to the one I owned (had a 105 on the back).

It was a lot of fun but could get a bit hairy even on inland waters. We could get almost a 1/4 of the screen in the water dumping it on the passenge if you wanted. We had grown men clinging on for dear life

As said above it can get quite dear if you dont buy wisely. We had plently freinds that would join us for sking but not quite so many when something broke

If I was buying again (being a skier) I would go for an old mastercraft. Built to last and even if they dont at least the engines are fourstroke. The experiance of sking beind a good ski boat cant be compared to that behind the fletcher The pull out (for a fatty like me) on a mono is wicked but they are very unforgiving it you get anything wrong