General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Sick pay question

Search this Thread

Old 30-06-2006, 04:06 PM
roybacer
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sick pay question

How exactly does sick pay work

I know the SSP rate is approx £70 a week, and you dont get it for the 1st 3 days off sickness, and for a maximum of 28 weeks.

But somebody's just told me, that even if you dont have sick pay agreed with ur employer in your contract, they still have to pay you at your normal basic rate for the 1st 2 weeks off sickness, aslong as you have a valid sicknote ???

Is this true, or sumin he's heard at the pub / made up ???
Old 30-06-2006, 04:12 PM
Smit
The 60ft Launch King

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There is a sicknote section in my contract with my employer...

I would get full pay for 26 weeks with fortnightly review by my GP and the works doctor. If you are very Ill and are forced to leave work due to ill health then you will get an agreed amount from the employer as a lump sum then some sort of negligible pension from the company as a pension...

If i die in service my mother would inherit £110,500 as a lump sum pay-off then a full pension for 5 years. after the 5 years the pension is halved for the rest of her life.

Old 30-06-2006, 04:17 PM
-scar-
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Sick pay question

Originally Posted by roybacer
How exactly does sick pay work

I know the SSP rate is approx £70 a week, and you dont get it for the 1st 3 days off sickness, and for a maximum of 28 weeks.

But somebody's just told me, that even if you dont have sick pay agreed with ur employer in your contract, they still have to pay you at your normal basic rate for the 1st 2 weeks off sickness, aslong as you have a valid sicknote ???

Is this true, or sumin he's heard at the pub / made up ???
Pub talk my friend, nothing more.

If there is nothing in an employees contract so the contrary then sick pay is paid at SSP rate (set by government). for a maximum of 28 weeks.

You do not get paid for the first 2 days of your sickness which are classed as wait days.

To be eligable for sick pay then after 7 days you must provide your employer with a sick note from a doctor. Self signed sicknotes are fine for up to one week although your employer is entitled to ask for a doctors note if your period of sickness is likely to be more than 3 days.
Old 30-06-2006, 04:21 PM
roybacer
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought it was pub talk, but just double checking

Thanks for the help