General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Suspension Settings on a 4x4 saff

Search this Thread

Old 30-06-2006, 08:42 AM
Taz
Visitor from the Darkside

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Settings on a 4x4 saff

Following on from Steves thread yesterday regarding steering angles on Sierras, It reminded me of a question that has been in my mind for some time.

For my sins I used to own a Scooby (yeuch hated it apart from handling and looks) and it is a well known fact there are published settings to which the suspension is set to giving a good base for handling. I am sure they also shim the steering rack as well to sharpen ( i think) the steering.

Are there any such settings to set up a 4x4 saff and if so what are they.

If not does anyone have any guidelines to which I should stick?

This could be for any saff but mine is a K plate 4x4 running closed loop stage 3 from Stu , deflex bushes, Koni coilovers and after this weekend 18" comps with Yokies.

Discussion/help will be enjoyed and appreciated.
Old 30-06-2006, 08:57 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends on how the car is used (and where - e.g. mainly motorways / country roads / track).

A reasonable compromise would be:

Front:
Camber: 1.5° neg
Toe: 2mm toe-in (overall)
Caster: 3°30'

Rear: 1.5° neg
Toe: 2-3mm toe-in (overall)

Bearing in mind the rear is not adjustable, so has to be done with shims or slotting the holes and the welding washers to secure it in the correct position.

Mine is used mainly on track, so I have very aggressive camber settings on it....
Old 30-06-2006, 09:08 AM
Taz

Thanks Mike for your quick reply.

My car is used for going to work occasionally and I hope to get it on track soon. When going to work I have some twisty bits which are bumpy and then the boring motorway bit. I tend to enjoy the twistys and then relax on the straight bits. As for track, my local is Knockhill so not fast corners really.

When doing the rear beam, would I have to elongate the holes where the a arms meet the beam? The brackets in the middle of the car so I can get the adjustment required?

Thanks again

Graham
Old 30-06-2006, 09:12 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taz, welcome to the world of cossies, a world where suspension settings purely mean just wind the coilovers down till it looks coolest and turn the hardness right up

Luckily Mike is someone who knows what the crack is and will help

Mike- Whats your camber? A lot more than the 1.5deg you listed there i guess?
Old 30-06-2006, 09:16 AM
Taz

Originally Posted by Stavros
Taz, welcome to the world of cossies, a world where suspension settings purely mean just wind the coilovers down till it looks coolest and turn the hardness right up
afpmsl

The worrying thing is you are very correct. We all want stage this uprated that but very few I dont mean everyone) people think about the settings on the suspension. I am about to raise my coilovers as they were left on the settings from Mr Sharps car (Escos) and on my saff it is too low at the back. I will also need to do the front to allow the 18" comps to fit. Once this is done I am going to get the aligment done on a laser tracking machine locally, hence the settings. I also think a strut brace is a must on saffs too, which I am about to get, especially on coilovers!!!!
Old 30-06-2006, 09:28 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by Taz
Thanks Mike for your quick reply.

My car is used for going to work occasionally and I hope to get it on track soon. When going to work I have some twisty bits which are bumpy and then the boring motorway bit. I tend to enjoy the twistys and then relax on the straight bits. As for track, my local is Knockhill so not fast corners really.

When doing the rear beam, would I have to elongate the holes where the a arms meet the beam? The brackets in the middle of the car so I can get the adjustment required?

Thanks again

Graham
These settings are what I would call "Fast Road". I would not recommend you doing the slotting of the mounting points unless you know what you're doing....

As to my settings, I run 3° neg on the front and 2° 45' on the rear.

I have to concur about the current trend for coil-overs, which invariably make the car handle like shit, because the spring / damper rates are a complete mis-match.

I don't think you can go far wrong with Konis and Ahmed's springs for a road car.
Old 30-06-2006, 10:01 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird

These settings are what I would call "Fast Road". I would not recommend you doing the slotting of the mounting points unless you know what you're doing....

I have to concur about the current trend for coil-overs, which invariably make the car handle like shit, because the spring / damper rates are a complete mis-match.

I don't think you can go far wrong with Konis and Ahmed's springs for a road car.
is it worth getting my coilovers checked then?

bought the car and havent even thought about this yet, car will be booked in for the 'hammer arch mod' at SCC sometime in the near future.

have heard good things about zoo motorsport when it comes to setting suspsension geometry, anyone know where they are based????

may get them to do the above camber angles and toe in you suggested

Old 30-06-2006, 10:04 AM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

mike, do you know how much a set of konis with the springs are? i'm VERY tempted to chuck this gaz shit in the bin and get something tried and tested...
Old 30-06-2006, 10:17 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by gingeRS

is it worth getting my coilovers checked then?

bought the car and havent even thought about this yet, car will be booked in for the 'hammer arch mod' at SCC sometime in the near future.

have heard good things about zoo motorsport when it comes to setting suspsension geometry, anyone know where they are based????

may get them to do the above camber angles and toe in you suggested

If the are cheap ones, just bin them or sell them on Ebay

Originally Posted by Jim Galbally
mike, do you know how much a set of konis with the springs are? i'm VERY tempted to chuck this gaz shit in the bin and get something tried and tested...
Price is on my website . I did try and tell you
Old 30-06-2006, 10:25 AM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

£160quid for a set of springs my mate's ones were -60mm on his nova and they were only 30quid

how about a part-ex on my gaz stuff :P you can sell it on to some other ill-educated replica driver
Old 30-06-2006, 10:45 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Jim,
They're no more expensive than Eibachs or the like .

THIS is where you keep going wrong, you SHOULD buy the best straight off and then fit and forget. These springs have been specially wound / correct poundage to MATCH the Konis.

Next you'll be buying Konis and some cheap springs and then moaning that they don't handle as well as you thought and then having to buy the correct springs . This is why it always costs people like you twice as much! You THINK you're making a saving and then realise you haven't really got what you wanted .
Old 30-06-2006, 11:11 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

so are mine any good

they are AVO's?
Old 30-06-2006, 11:14 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

so are mine any good

they are AVO's?
Depends what springs you have with them, but in a word - no. Make the car HORRIBLE to drive on the road unless the spring rates are softened up.
Old 30-06-2006, 11:21 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

so are mine any good

they are AVO's?
Depends what springs you have with them, but in a word - no. Make the car HORRIBLE to drive on the road unless the spring rates are softened up.
i have no idea what springs etc, its not that harsh, bit bumpy handles well though. only probelm is the clearance which apparently is sorted with a big hammer?
Old 30-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

mike i was joking, the -60mm and nova bit gave it away

i get my car back from the menders on tuesday, if it turns out my rear shocks are fucked (i think they are) then ill be on the phone ordering up the kit

damn expensive car still got the fookin gearbox to fix
Old 30-06-2006, 02:13 PM
CozzyBrom
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tell me ya ride hieght i tell you some around settings
but its never going to be good untill u do the beam
thats not a plug just way the rear beam moves in its arc as standard is shite
Old 30-06-2006, 02:17 PM
JohnnyB
PassionFord Post Whore!!

whats the matter with you Gearbox Jim?
Old 30-06-2006, 02:23 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

johhnyB, when i threw a rod, it hit the starter motor and cracked the bellhousing the starter doesnt locate properly

plus the release bearing on the clutch is noise (cossie clutches in V6s for you!) and there's no bearing fitted (spigot bearing or thrust bearing or whatever its called)