General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

machining zetec block for let pistons???

Search this Thread

Old 23-06-2006, 01:04 PM
TurboBlower
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the rocker was the way to tell the difference?? with the earlier of the zetec engines having DOHC and the latter not, i know the ones with dohc stamped had an issue with sticking valves, this is where i found the info about rocker covers when reading about the problem,

Info from the ad for you Reality:

Rods:

EAGLE CONNECTING RODS

Ford Focus Zetec

Ford Focus Zetec 5/16" ARP 2000 Bolts
C-C LENGTH NOTES GRAM WEIGHT PART NUMBER
5.483 Stock 535 CRS5483F3D

PLEASE TYPE PART # YOU WANT FROM ABOVE GRAPH!!

Eagle "ESP" H-beam Forged 4340 Steel Connecting Rods
All Eagle "ESP" Connecting Rods are manufactured from a TWO-PIECE FORGING. The forging process forces the grain into the shape of a connecting rod, resulting in a superior fatigue life. The rod cap is forged separately so that the grain runs perpendicular to the load forces, which strengthens the connecting rod. Many aftermarket connecting rods are manufactured from 4340 steel. 4340 specs allow a range of different materials to achieve the desired results. Although it is a more expensive process, all Eagle "ESP" 3-D connecting rods also include higher content of nickel & chrome, which increases the strength & fatigue life without making the connecting rod brittle.

Extensive testing has proven Eagle's two-piece forging superior to any one-piece forging on the market! All Eagle "ESP" Rods are clearly identified. Proper rod bolt torque is vital to connecting rod life. A rod bolt fastner is without question the highest stressed fastener in the engine. The big end bore of the connecting rod is a stressed bore in much the same way as cylinders are on a block. It is equally important to torque properly to provide proper strength & to insure the big end of the rod sizing is correct. Improper torque will result in premature rod failure!

Pistons:

FORD FOCUS ZX3

PART # BORE COMP. RATIO
185915 85.00 9.0:1
185916 85.00 10.5:1

With over 50-years of experience, JE Pistons is the leader in high performance forged pistons. They have built a reputation that the competition can only follow. JE has a history of manufacturing the highest quality pistons and components that professional engine builders, race teams, and high performance enthusiasts alike trust and rely on. The top engine builders in NASCAR, NHRA, IRL, IHRA, IDRA, PROSTAR and others choose JE Pistons over any other brand. For over 50-years, JE's position at the forefront of performance piston manufacturing has been a result of continuous research and development of unique materials, piston designs and technologies. Utilizing State-Of-The-Art CNC machines for manufacturing along with purpose-designed forgings, JE is able to maintain exacting specifications on each and every piston and hold tolerances to millionths of an inch. Also available from JE is industry-leading processes like Ultra Crown, a Digital Three Dimensional piston crown machining process and Finite Element Analysis (FEA). FEA is a computer process whereby stress and fatigue are tested on a computer model before it goes into production. JE is the only exclusive performance piston manufacturer to earn the QS-9000 quality standard which confirms that JE provides customers the highest standards in quality control. In addition, we also have State-Of-The-Art inspection equipment and testing equipment which enables us to constantly bring you, the customer, the very latest in piston design configurations. The Industry leader in forged Racing pistons

Forged from Premium 2618 aluminum alloy

Dome and dishes feature smooth flowing radii for excellent flame travel.

CNC Machined side relief with lower support band provides optimal strength for extreme horsepower applications.

CNC Diamond turned skirts with reduced cylinder contact profiles provide less friction for increased horsepower

Forced Pin Oilers for increased wrist pin lubrication

Pins, pin fitting, pin oilers and wire locks included

Many Thanx For Looking

Regards - Adi
Old 23-06-2006, 01:09 PM
reality
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Yep, that's the typical stuff you see on ebay..

The rods are as I said before.. 3.13mm longer than the normal UK rods..

And those pistons are fine if you're building a non-turbo engine
Old 23-06-2006, 01:23 PM
TurboBlower
PassionFord Regular

So let me get this right to use the stuff as i posted, i'd need to componsate the 3.13mm length difference (i.e. with a de-comp plate) and then machine the pistons down to get the correct c.r????

or am i getting TOTALLY TOTALLY Confused
Old 23-06-2006, 01:29 PM
reality

Originally Posted by TurboBlower
So let me get this right to use the stuff as i posted, i'd need to componsate the 3.13mm length difference (i.e. with a de-comp plate) and then machine the pistons down to get the correct c.r????

or am i getting TOTALLY TOTALLY Confused
You could, but what's the point? If saving a few hundred quid on rods is that important to you (over buying a proper set of Farndons and C20LET pistons) then maybe a zetec turbo isn't for you.. it's like 5% of the overall cost of the project in reality!
Old 23-06-2006, 01:39 PM
TurboBlower
PassionFord Regular

But i did only Say ''Considering'' Using... Theres a difference

This is why i ask your peeps opinions..

Who supplys Farndons??? and best place for C20LET Pistons Please and is there any maching required on the C20LET pistons or is it just the rods that require modification for the pins.

Thanx Again - Adi
Old 23-06-2006, 02:04 PM
reality

Burtons are one Farndon dealer, or you can buy direct.. if you buy direct, you could get them to make them with the right size small end (depending if you want semi-floating or fully-floating!)

Yes, you do have to modify the pistons for the rod to clear inside and also some of skirt where the oil spray jets are.. simple stuff
Old 23-06-2006, 02:12 PM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I expect those JE pistons are imported from the states and designed to be used in the US engine. Therefore they will have the shorter COMPRESION HEIGHT to match the longer us spec eagle rods.

As said before if use the rods and pistons designed for the same engine you will be fine.

They will not protrude above the block deck and you will have the correct CR that is stated by the piston makers.

However if you buy 9:1 JE pistons you may want to take some meat off the top of them to acheive a lower CR.
Old 23-06-2006, 02:23 PM
TurboBlower
PassionFord Regular

I Know it dont take much lads but now im tottally confused

So Garage 19 your saying that the Eagle Rod / JE Piston combination would be fine and fit but i'd just need to do some machining to the top of the pistons to get the correct C/R???

Thanx - Adi
Old 23-06-2006, 02:33 PM
reality

Yes that's what he's saying.. But getting down from 9:1 to a reasonable 7.5:1 is a fair amount of material to take off the crown.. might not leave you with a thick enough crown! Only one way to find out..
Old 23-06-2006, 02:36 PM
Cowboi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

well guys not only did u rob my thread but u baffled me too.

can you just answer this 1 question for me.
if i get the bottom end from a silver top zetec, have it bored with a 2.5thou clearence, get the let pistons mounted on the std rods and bolt it all back together.
do u see me having any major problem running 250bhp through that set up?

im not being tight and dont mind spending money on things. and if this is not good enough then i will buy rods.

cheers fellas
Old 23-06-2006, 02:43 PM
reality

Originally Posted by Cowboi
if i get the bottom end from a silver top zetec, have it bored with a 2.5thou clearence, get the let pistons mounted on the std rods and bolt it all back together.
Nope, that'll be absolutely spot-on.. The C20LET pistons need machining inside to clear the rods and also on the skirt to clear the oil spray jets.. The place I PM'd you can do all that for you..
Old 23-06-2006, 02:57 PM
TurboBlower
PassionFord Regular

Cowboi I did apologise Earlier M8y and like i say i am sorry i should have started my own thread

Thanx for all your info guys, if its any help cowboi ive heard of people running 250hp no worries with the setup your on about

Im just wanting to run a tad more and looking at all other options.

Have we any idea guys of how much would require machining from the pistons to get to a C/R of 7.5:1 ????

like i said previously ive been advised to not take more than 1mm of the pistons so i'd most probally require a de-comp plate aswell saying i did go down this route !!!!

Adi
Old 23-06-2006, 03:19 PM
Cowboi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by TurboBlower
Cowboi I did apologise Earlier M8y and like i say i am sorry i should have started my own thread
its not a problem. with out u lot this thread would of died ages ago.

im pretty sure im just gonna stick with std internal other than the rod bolts for now.
if i want more power some other time i'll go for new rods.

hope u get yours sorted mate!
Old 23-06-2006, 03:23 PM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cowboi
well guys not only did u rob my thread but u baffled me too.

im not being tight and dont mind spending money on things. and if this is not good enough then i will buy rods.

cheers fellas
Personally i wouldn't even bother with the LET pistons at that power level. Just go with the right design of decomp plate, and if you wanted to a very shallow dish in the stock pistons.

I have seen 2ltr ZTs with a decomp plate making a reliable 280 bhp.