General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

FAO Porkie- D1. (Some "very close to the wall" pic

Search this Thread

Old 22-06-2006, 01:08 PM
MWF
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stavros
Heres a thread about it here, and reasons from people who CAN drift on how he was managing it, way better than just us guessing, lol...
http://www.driftworks.co.uk/forum/sh...ad.php?t=19420
Very interesting. Seems a few people are suggesting it's a combination of the speed/momentum and a setup that's bias towards understeer.
Old 22-06-2006, 09:09 PM
Mr C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw this on the Sunday and was astounded by the speed and angle these guys were getting, simply awesome I took a walk along the pit lane at 1PM to check out the metal, and couldnt believe the tyres they were using, semi slicks and massive widths too, these things would make excellent track day cars with the power they have too to over come the grip. In the Tsuiso the Japs are another step ahead of the europeans Awesome
Old 22-06-2006, 09:20 PM
EIL132
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Looking forward to seeing this at Knockhill, as every other drift show I've seen there has been gash
Old 23-06-2006, 09:03 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by EIL132
Looking forward to seeing this at Knockhill, as every other drift show I've seen there has been gash
D1GP aint coming to Knockhill, that was a 1off thing with the Japs.

D1GB is having a round there, and they will be a million times better than the ones youve seen there before, but you wont be seeing Nomura, Kazama, etc etc.
Old 23-06-2006, 09:07 AM
Mark B
Advanced PassionFord User

ohwell will still be good, what do u have to do to enter the D1GB?

Mb.
Old 23-06-2006, 09:19 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by Mark B
ohwell will still be good, what do u have to do to enter the D1GB?

Mb.
Be one of the 25 or so people to pass the licence test at Donny earlier in the year.

Or be Tiff Needell and get in without one as you famous, then be utter shite and get your ass handed to you by the REALLY good drivers
Old 23-06-2006, 10:10 AM
Mark B
Advanced PassionFord User

lol k, was just wondering as that charlie show guy is mad for getting it sideways in his escos an wonderd if hed enter,

was just on the Dw site an seen the word dori car quite a few times, what does it mean?

MB.
Old 23-06-2006, 10:19 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Dori is Japanese for drift.

Eurodrift is also on at Knockhill that weekend (sunday maybe?), thats easier to enter, dont know the exact requirments, but dont have to be anywhere near as good as D1GB.
Old 23-06-2006, 10:19 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Stavros

Or be Tiff Needell and get in without one as you famous, then be utter shite and get your ass handed to you by the REALLY good drivers
Good DRIFTERS Steve.

Tiff would hand most of them back their asses if it came to racing I think you would find.

Tim Marshall however is VERY quick race driver as well. I have had alot of race tuition from him and also been in a few racing cars with him on circuits. He is FAST. Doing ok at the drifting I see as well
Old 23-06-2006, 10:27 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Sorry, thats what I meant, wrote it wrong, meant to say that Tiff is famous for being "mr sideways" on telly, but is infact a bit pony compared to the rest.

Tim Marshall has got soo much better, IMO he was a bit poo at first, but now is pretty respectable, not came anywhere yet even tho hes in about the best car there, but i think hes REALLY good.
The closeness he was getting to the tyre wall on the weekend was unbelivable, there are tyre marks from his rear tyre at brooklands less than a foot from the wall

He did bin it really badly into the gravel at one attempt mind and nearly killed the D1 cameraman in the process, but I still think hes really good
Old 23-06-2006, 10:51 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Having read that link i do find it quite amusing how people bang on about "he is only that skillful because he once had an 86"

Do people on there REALLY believe that?
Old 23-06-2006, 11:04 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

No, but they have a REAL point. (note, the 2 people who say that, Will and James, both are VERY VERY good drivers, and both have serious AE86 drifters, one with a 20valve on throttle bodies, the other a 2litre 16V Vaux lump on throttles )

Power is a serious crutch, if you got power you automaticly got a huge speed and smoke advantage.

If you got fuck all power (ie you drive an AE86) you need to have SERIOUS skills to compete with the more powerful cars.

If your good in a shit car, your amazing in a good car, it really makes a big difference, thats why learning in a shit car with no power is the best way.

The guy drives balls out to the limit as hes used to his AE86 where you have no choice but drive like that otherwise youd not get anywhere.

TBH, what they said is pretty true, if your good in an underpowered AE86 your amazing in a 400bhp S14 D1 car.
Old 23-06-2006, 11:15 AM
MWF
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by chip-3door
Having read that link i do find it quite amusing how people bang on about "he is only that skillful because he once had an 86"

Do people on there REALLY believe that?
AE86 is a short wheelbase rwd so very snappy and less tollerant to applying too much angle than something longer.
Old 23-06-2006, 11:22 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Stavros, i agree COMPLETELY mate on the power thing, but plenty of other cars with naff all power you could learn in too, starlets for one, its just the way they word it makes it sound like its only the 86 that anyone could ever learn to drift properly in, i dont doubt they are good but i find it hard to believe there is *that* much difference
Old 23-06-2006, 11:35 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Of course there are loads of cars, but AE86s are about the only low power car people bother competing seriously, and thats why they mention the car he drives.

Many people start with poo cars, but dont stay with em at a competitive level apart from in AE86s.

I totally get what they saying and totally agree.

They not saying they better than other cars, if anything they saying they shit, as thats why hes so good as he has to be amazing as he can drift his crappy 86 so well.

Wheelbase isnt an issue BTW, rollas have no issues barring no power.

Was talking to an 86 owner last weekend whos competed there before, his is quite serious on throttles etc, and he said his car purely hasnt the power to transition between the 1st n 2nd corner in the dry, which is part of the point they making.

Like said, if you good in a 86 your awesome in a good car

(thats a joke BTW, they are light, nimble, handle amazing, loads of steering angle, but like said, its VERY hard to compete with 400-600bhp cars doing 100mph+ when your in a 160bhp/120lbft car. Even if you can make it through qualifying runs you at a SERIOUS disadvantage in the twin drifting which is the main part of drift competitions. Keeping up with the lead car, or not being overtook by the following car, is next to impossible when they car 4times the power, and takes serious skills).
Old 23-06-2006, 11:53 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Fair enough stavros.

Its just ive met people who have bought an AE86 expecting themselves to jump striaght into it and be a drift god cause their is so much legend surrounding them now, and in reality, they all crap at it
Old 23-06-2006, 11:57 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

No, thats their point totally.

AE86s are WAY harder than a lot of cars to drift. If you can drift an AE86 you good.

Your out of your mind top buy one if you think it will flatter your sucky skills.
My S13, now THATS a car that makes me look far better than I really am
Old 23-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Stavros, its S13 running gear i think my new project is going to end up on, so thats good news
Old 23-06-2006, 12:51 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Not really, ive tried to drift the driftschool S13s, one is standard barring the late spec option LSD, other has a welded diff, I was utter shit in em both

I said MY S13, not S13s in general
Old 23-06-2006, 03:41 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Just found some pics from the weekend, nowt to do with the car we was on about, but shows how close they get to the wall and each other, without crashing, at 100mph+
(well TBH the close to the wall ones are when they initiating the drift on the straight, so more like 120-140mph! One of the drifters told me he was following one of the AE86s in to the first corner and he was seeing 140 on the clock, and thats one of the slower cars...)

Check out the tyre marks from how far over they was going onto the concrete...

Now the 1st corner pics, good views to see how close they were getting to the wall and each other...

This ones good for a "how close can you get pic"...

Looks like one car...

But look closer and there the 2nd car about an inch away from it, sideways, at 100mph+
Old 23-06-2006, 03:51 PM
Bat Fink

That looks well fast mate