General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Recaro Headrest question

Search this Thread

Old 20-06-2006, 11:37 AM
AGAR-COSWORTH
Redumbdancy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recaro Headrest question

Planning on doing a rear headrest conversion onto my FRST rear seats, however i need to source the brackets required to have the headrests properly connected to the rear upright.

The idea is to use the brackets usually found inside FRST recaros - but obviously i don't want to trash a decent set of recaros just for the brackets, so the question is:

With ecaro headrests are the 2 prongs always the same distance apart? Eg, do saph cos, ERST, Granada reacros etc all have the same dimensions of prongs so that if i find any of these seats going cheap i can use the brakcets inside for my FRST headrests?

Cheers
Old 21-06-2006, 11:24 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't know about the Fiesta but the legs on Sierra rear seat headrests are closer together than the ones in the front, whether standard or Recaro. The standard headrests themselves are narrower too.

I've never dismantled a Recaro headrest, so don't know if you could just swap the standard Ford legs over.
Old 21-06-2006, 11:40 PM
ozcos
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have rear head rest convesion in a 3dr and I used front head rests (I wanted them to match) but had to use "P" brackets to attach to back of seat as the rear seats are considerbly thinner.
When fitted they line up with the seat well.
I think if fitted into the seat they would sit to far forward and look wrong.
Old 22-06-2006, 12:03 AM
cossie604
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as said above , need to be attached to the rear panel/backing of the seat to line up rite. When I fitted a set to the rear of a ERST I just went down to B&Q and bought 4 of the hoops that go with a door slide bolt (best name I can think of at 1am)...you can buy em seperatly and they cost pence and are availble in just the rite size Position the head rest, place the hoops over the legs and with a couple of self tapers attach them to the back panel.

1 other tip, dont use the recaro headrests, they're to big and will look out of place. Insted get a set of xr31 front headrests in the same colour as your recaros and use them. Gives a nicer and smaller headrest then, that doesnt standout too much and wont block your rear view
Old 22-06-2006, 11:20 AM
AGAR-COSWORTH
Redumbdancy

Cheers for all the help and advice guys

cossie604 - do you mean an eye bolt:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-EYE-BOLTS-M1...QQcmdZViewItem

Screwed into the seat back and enables the prongs to slide down through them?

ozcos - any piccies of your conversion, looked for P brackets on ebay but couldn't find any.

The headrests im using are recaro ones from an old granada, they have the tilt mencanism on them - ive lined them up before with the back of the seat and if its not tilted forward it seems too far away from the backrest of the seat - i take it you have yours in the tilted forward position?
Old 22-06-2006, 02:23 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Those would be HUGE compared to headrest legs! The M12 refers to the threaded bolt size. I think he's talking about something more U shaped that you would just pop the legs into - that would hold them to the back of the seat but the headrests wouldn't be adjustable up and down. If it was me, I'd be figuring out how to fit these inside the seat - otherwise it could look a bit homemade from the back.

As I should have said, on the Sierra the rear seats alrady have the guides built in but you need to use the rear legs to fit. I don't know enough about your car to be sure if it has them, but have a look at the metal backplate from the boot side and if there are two parallel vertical grooves on each half of the seat, that shows where the legs push in.
Old 22-06-2006, 05:06 PM
AGAR-COSWORTH
Redumbdancy

Iain Mac - Yeah those eye bolts were just to see if thats what he meant. Im planning on fitting them into the inside of the seat - hence my original question, im looking to see what recaros have the same "insides" to enable me to get the brackets from inside them and fit them inside the rear seat. Although its not looking likely i will find recaros scabby enough to pull apart.

And note the first post - im fitting these headrests to FRST rear seats in a Fiesta. I think im going to go with the U shaped brackets. Ive got another set of standard fiesta rear seats so will experiment with brackets etc.