General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Advice from people who been to uni...

Search this Thread

Old 16-06-2006, 09:06 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice from people who been to uni...

After completing your final year, how easy did you find getting into a job and what pay was it on?

GOt kinda offer from emplyer im with now and not sure what to do
Old 16-06-2006, 09:15 PM
mathewwebber
PassionFord Regular

Walked straight into a job was very easy but the first did help i suppose Currently happy with the job i am in and thought the pay was good for a first job out of uni. Went for a few interviews but this was my first one and they offered me the job. I am on 22k there is more money to be had in London, but then the stress levels go up as well. But as ever its not enough cash, you aways seem to live up to your means

Still due a nice pay rise soon
Old 16-06-2006, 09:17 PM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

Sorry mate, I never went to Uni

I did an apprenticeship so walked into a job. It was shit though.....

Now I work for the MOD
Old 16-06-2006, 09:17 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

What did you study Matthew?
Old 16-06-2006, 09:35 PM
OldSkoolRS
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I found it quite hard initially, partly because I didn't know what I wanted to do and also because I didn't have any decent work experience.

I went to a graduate job fair in North London and had two interviews on the day and a week later had a job. I started on £18k and within 2 and a half years was earning £35k.

I'm still there now, and that said I have realised that money isn't everything!! I think its impotant to hold out for a job that is related to something that you want to do, and maybe go temping whilst you find the job you really want.

Good luck!!!!!
Old 16-06-2006, 10:09 PM
Dan B
Advanced PassionFord User

It took me 12 months from graduation to starting my first job. However, my degree wasn't related, really, to the job-industry I was trying to get into (BSc Maths --> IT industry).

Got a lucky break after 12 months of depressing temp-jobs (no, useless IT agencies, data-entry is NOT proper IT work ), and managed to get a ridiculously easy interview with an ISP quite close to where I was living with my parents at the time. They only asked basic questions about fixing easy issues with Win95/98, and one quick question with Win NT4, which I'd had a quick look at the week before, and they phoned me that night to offer me the job the next week.

Stayed there for 2.5 years, built up a nice time of experience there, and escaped before the firm went too far under (they got bought out 3 months after I left, they'd been falling downhill for a few months by the time I decided to get away), and have now been working at my current place (infinitely better than the previous place) for the last 2.5 years, managed to escape from constant-phone-answering (1st Line Support) 18 months ago, and am now working completely away from customers in the NOC (Network Ops Centre), where my team's responsible (in an easy-to-explain way) for making sure the internet works for all customers rather than just fixing one problem at a time.

It's hard work, but it's rewarding......I got there in the end!