General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

WTf is jenson button doing....

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 10:51 PM
JBcos
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lets face it weren't Ferrari doing crap when schumacher joined them.

Williams bigger budget, bigger team, more experienced good move imo
Old 10-08-2004, 10:55 PM
phil4x4saph
Advanced PassionFord User

I recon Williams have something up their sleeve for the next couple of seasons the neither you or I know about.

Maybe Jenson does........

Williams have been experimenting lately. Look at their weird aero kit. Maybe one of their ideas has come good.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:02 PM
FastFordChris

williams kept a recall cluas on button when he left them for renalt and thats why BAR havent got a leg to stand on tryin to get him back. i'm not sure if buttons gunna have an amazin season like everyones expecting cos at the end of the day its how hes gets on with the team which is the mean thing. but in the long run buttons better off with williams as they have the money to back him up so hes one to watch me thinks

wat happened to villnerve? doesnt he own like half of the bar team??
Old 10-08-2004, 11:06 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Ahhh shit, you know what this mean????

I'm gonna have to buy a new team shirt
Old 10-08-2004, 11:11 PM
EIL132
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I think Villeneuve will return. Hope so anyway, might brighten things up
Old 11-08-2004, 06:25 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I think there's more too it, although williams dumped jenson earlier, it was for someone who had more proven experience. Its no suprise though that Frank and Jenson are good friends so I think it was inevitable that Jense would return. The manner he's done it in though is a bit crap to say the least.

Paul
Old 11-08-2004, 06:46 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dingy
Yeah apparently no vtec engine has let go
Originally Posted by Sean Bicknell
I do remember reading somewhere that Honda have NEVER had an internal failure with one of there VTEC's That is a mighty impressive statement if true!!!
Well its not!

I co-ran the service department at the local Honda dealership for about a year and i remember one standard prelude VTi came in that had thrown a rod out the block, infact ive never seen so much damage to a bottomend, pretty much everything was smashed to pieces!
Wasnt failiure due to oil issues or anything like that, and the car had FSH as itd been in 2days before for a service, it jus died a terrible death one day.
Apart from that we never ever had any engine failiures, jus silly niggly ECU probs etc.

Remember a CRX Vtec at a track day throw a rod once, and a mates 4door Vti did its headgasket once too.

There mustve been 1000s of VTEC engines die over the years, amazingly reliable, but this "never failed" thing is a total myth.

Originally Posted by EIL132
Why are people talking about road cars They bear no resemblance to F1 engines or indeed cars
Exactly. The people who design the road engines for Honda/BMW will probably have absofookinlutley no input to the race engines (and the other way round) whatsoever
Old 11-08-2004, 07:19 AM
WutangRS
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

apparently theres was an agreement in button contract that allowed williams to take him back if they required him so im not sure its all his choice (or at least i hope not) BAR are ment to be taking williams to court about it. personally i think he should stay with BAR as like everyone says there the only team thats putting up a fight, although i reckon kimi would of done poomacher at hockenhiem this yr
Old 11-08-2004, 07:29 AM
starturbo
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

williams kept a recall cluas on button
Its true they did.They let button go to get a bit of experience under there belt while they tried to win the championship with montoya ( who is bloody brilliant ) and shuey junior (not so brill).Its just started gettin exciting again coz schumacher and ferrari have killed the bloody sport.You only need to watch the first 5 laps now to know whos gonna win.Wish senna was still alive coz schumacher wouldnt be as successful as he is.Senna was the ultimate and i say that as an ardent mansell fan.Just hope williams dont fook things up for button.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:45 AM
WutangRS

williams as they have the money to back him
BAR have the biggest budget on the whole grid or at least they did
Old 11-08-2004, 07:52 AM
Anonymous
Banned

LOL @ steve - road cars on track and throwing a rod - Oil surge and picked up a bearing maybe....

Sounds like the prelude chose the wrong gear

I do find it hard to believe, but have tried to kill mine and no joy LOL
Old 11-08-2004, 09:24 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

To answer the origional question......he has moved because he can see that Williams has better organisational structure and MASSIVE investment for the foreseeable future.

Bar rely on BAT (British American Tobacco) for most of their funding......there is a 'chance' that Tobacco advertising will be banned v soon and this would leave BAR up shit creek as far as investment is concerned.

Also HONDA would then leave BAR. HONDA powers the team. Takuma Sato is a JAPANESE driver who has outpaced Jenson onece or twice and is showing promising form ( for me he is no way as good as Jenson ), HONDA may push for Taku to get equal status or be the No1 and undermine Jensons position. Confidence in your team is Paramount in F1.

To say Williams is poor ths season is possibly true, BUT, I doubt we have seen their real pace........
Both drivers hate each other and dont work together on setting the car up, they are both leaving at the end of the year also so there is a possible lack of commitment.

Jenson will know a lot more about all this than us and will have made a desicion based on what investment there is over the next few years.

Also just to say.....Jenson and Williams didn't want to go public...it was Dave Richards who gave the story to the Times initially, forcing jenson to go public too.
Jenson & Frank Williams had offered to go to the F1 court of Arbitration to sort it all out before anything was made public but BAR wanted to play dirty with the press.

I think he made the right choice......BAR cant possibly keep improving at the rate they have done this year...it's almost unheard of. Williams dont often produce crap cars two or three years in a row either. Like I said we'll never know the full story but there is lots to think about.

Whats all this crap about road cars? As if it has anything to do with F1.....
Old 12-08-2004, 06:00 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

Didnt BMW use road engine blocks for their Turbo lumps back in the day. I seem to recall a story about them being left outside to "weather" which helped removed all the stress in them. Is this even true. Am I lieing.

If it is though, why does no one stress relieve YB blocks?
Old 12-08-2004, 06:09 PM
BODGE

he's under contract with Williams and was only on loan to B.A.R but there was some thing in the contract saying if he finished 6th or above at the end of the year B.A.R could keep him, he will be and frank wants him back

mark
Old 12-08-2004, 06:28 PM
Keith B

Rich W, yes they did. The engineers used to come outside and pee on them too. Nice!
Old 12-08-2004, 06:35 PM
edd

monty was on the radio today saying he cany think of any good reason for button to join williams