General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Emigrating to USA, where would you start???

Search this Thread

Old 14-06-2006, 08:52 AM
ESCYSCOTT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Emigrating to USA, where would you start???

Me & Claire have been talking about what our future holds for us and what direction we'd like to be going in and even though I have my own business which makes me a decent living and Claire has a really good career, I personally see no future for me in England as I am hating the place more every day........VAT limits on business, taxes, fuel costs, roads are shit, weather is shit and life is just always so busy, stressful and totally repetative

We are going to LA, San Fran & Hawaai on our honeymoon in august so we're gonna see what america is like and hopefully want to go to New York and the east coast sometime near the end of the year or next year. My plan is to get the ball rolling slowly and plan to move within 5 years.

Anyone else moved to the US, more so the east coast round new york and the surrounding districts, any recomended areas to look at?

Any help would be appreciated, cheeRS.
Old 14-06-2006, 08:55 AM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One bit of information I have in regards to that is dual nationality which as far as I know, the US dont allow with the UK. With mine here I can hold Oz and UK no problems. Speaking to my hairdresser a couple of years ago, her son was faced with either giving up his UK citizenship or only being a permanent resident in the US (i.e only having full work rights, no passport).

Am aiming to go to that area next year instead of the UK and also Napa Valley for the wine and mountain biking.
Old 14-06-2006, 08:59 AM
ESCYSCOTT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

tbh, I would't care about keeping my UK passport. I would gladly have a US passport and just come to the UK for holidays to visit family etc as I really am beginning to hate the place for how the country is turning.
Old 14-06-2006, 09:03 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm with you on that one Scott! I would love the opportunity to move over there permanently but the missus isn't keen .

I think if you find full time employment over there it helps you get citizenship (i think).

Chris
Old 14-06-2006, 09:06 AM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

There are plenty of US sites offering advice also. Do a google search. I turned up ones from Solictors, the Government and forums. The green card thing is out for UK citizens and the smart asses did it on country of birth not country of citizenship! My g/f here who is an aussie by birth can apply for the green card lottery but I can't, although I can go as her partner if we were married.
Old 14-06-2006, 09:09 AM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scott

I know exactly what you mean about this country mate, If i could talk my wife into it i would be off straight away, but she is one of these people who needs to be near all her family

Not me, i would fuck off now if i could

Look into it mate, this country will be full of imigrants taking our taxes before we know it..............They can even kill people and get fuck all for it

Better stop now before i start giving it both barrels

Old 14-06-2006, 09:31 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

To become a US citizen is a lot more difficult than most other countries. You either have to have a skill they want (scientist / doctor / nurse etc) OR have a lump sum capital (IIRC it was Ł250,000 around ten years ago) to bring with you. Unlike this country where you just walk straight in and get hand-outs immediately .

Trending Topics

Old 14-06-2006, 09:37 AM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It also helps if you have relatives living out there. I have family living there dating back to before the war with England.

I have been to california and its amazing. Driving down pacific coast highway with the hills on one side and the Ocean on the other, like in the movies is something to behold!

There is a site where you can buy a ticket for US citizenship, its called the greencard lottery iirc.
Old 14-06-2006, 09:53 AM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by tonyk
It also helps if you have relatives living out there. I have family living there dating back to before the war with England.

I have been to california and its amazing. Driving down pacific coast highway with the hills on one side and the Ocean on the other, like in the movies is something to behold!

There is a site where you can buy a ticket for US citizenship, its called the greencard lottery iirc.
The UK is not permitted to take part in it mate as they have exceeded 50,000 visas per annum if I recall. There is a limit allocated to countries and if that isnt exceeded, the remainder go into a lottery. Oz can participate but until the quota increases or the numbers issued goes down, the UK can't.
Old 14-06-2006, 09:56 AM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by saff_cossie
Originally Posted by tonyk

The UK is not permitted to take part in it mate as they have exceeded 50,000 visas per annum if I recall. There is a limit allocated to countries and if that isnt exceeded, the remainder go into a lottery. Oz can participate but until the quota increases or the numbers issued goes down, the UK can't.
Guess I would just have to go in as an Irish Citizen then

http://www.overseas-emigration.co.uk...s-immigration/

Site for some information for you lot.
Old 14-06-2006, 10:21 AM
MATCOS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I will be interested to see how you get on Scott, me and my other half have been looking into this for years, but it seems so difficult we are currently having a rest period before thinking what to do next
Good luck
Old 14-06-2006, 10:31 AM
Gra
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i am with you on that, Me and kaz have both said we would like to move there, and the cost of a nice house in some states is silly cheap considering what you get here, good luck
Old 14-06-2006, 10:40 AM
dangerous - reyland
Advanced PassionFord User

I`m with you on this "lets get out of here before we are fooked" thought.

My bro went to Sydney in 1999 for 2years & is still there No desire to come back now at all.

Have been to nappa & NY etc Nice places but not really were i would want to see my days out.
I guess it depends on what you like to be near by, some like the city buzz , some counrtyside peace&quiet, some water also whether you still need to earn money or can afford to put your feet up as working can dictate your location.

But if you asked me where i would go it would have to be Horseshoe Bay just outside Vancouver.
IMO it offers everything City (40mins) water on doorstep with short ferry to Vancouver Island , Skiing in Whister in winter 1hr Mountains & countryside

Everything you could want
Old 14-06-2006, 11:27 AM
WD Pro
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Ask on here :

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/

About half way down

Based on moving to Florida but I guess the Visa options are the same.
Old 14-06-2006, 11:53 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
To become a US citizen is a lot more difficult than most other countries. You either have to have a skill they want (scientist / doctor / nurse etc) OR have a lump sum capital (IIRC it was Ł250,000 around ten years ago) to bring with you. Unlike this country where you just walk straight in and get hand-outs immediately .
Rubbish

One of the guys I work with is married to an American girl and they live over here. They both want to move to the US for good tho - she wasnt to be back near her family and he is like you lot - fucked off by the UK

Minimum they need to get out there is min Ł5,000 (GPB) in the bank for credit check, proof that at least one of them can have a job to support them, and that they have a domestic home (not a problem as they can live with her parents for the time being)

Sounds like you are tlaking about Australia Mike
Old 14-06-2006, 12:32 PM
BlueSmoke
PassionFord's crazy fool!

Well, I plan to go to the US one day, deffo. I'd love to do it while I'm young but can't see that happening

I would miss home though, even knowing the place is shite.
Old 14-06-2006, 01:58 PM
polly_x

Ive lived there for 18 months on the East coast in Washington and can tell you pretty much all you need to know about the different Visas and work allowances, green cards etc. Its an absolute minefield and even worse when you bring the income tax piece in as your will end up having to submit returns both here and in the US.

One thing you can bank on is it would take at least 5 years to get a green card and thats if you start on a good footing with a H class sponsored work Visa. Relatives etc etc in the US are a good help. If your thinking about kids, good idea to go over and have the birth there as they start with US passport then.

The lump investment amount to get a green card from what I remember is $500K.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Old 14-06-2006, 03:19 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thrush

Your mate may be able to live there with his wife but he won't be a citizen so, like some of the 9/1 widows of Brits, he faces deportation if something happens to her or they split.

My best man has an American dad and thought he'd breeze straight in on the strength of that but not a hope. He ended up with a fake Social Security number living as an illegal immigrant but still driving onto military bases to sell parts to the Army, Marines and Air Force!

As far as I recall (he's been back home for a while now) he would also have had to pass an exam on American history.
Old 14-06-2006, 04:02 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by Thrush
Rubbish

One of the guys I work with is married to an American girl and they live over here. They both want to move to the US for good tho - she wasnt to be back near her family and he is like you lot - fucked off by the UK

Minimum they need to get out there is min Ł5,000 (GPB) in the bank for credit check, proof that at least one of them can have a job to support them, and that they have a domestic home (not a problem as they can live with her parents for the time being)

You complete DIV, of course it's different if your partner already has Amercan citizenship you spaz .

See Polly's thread above an humbly accept this .
Old 14-06-2006, 04:54 PM
Alg1k
PassionFord Post Troll

A friend of mine moved out to Dallas about 4 years ago
He aint comming back started his own business with lots of help from the banks ( you have a good idea and they throw money at you )
just bought a big house got married and has ordered an Ultima
Doing extremely well the only down side is that he has been shot once allready i shit you not ( through the door of his pick up )
He has aked me if i would like to go out there and run one of his places as he can sponser me
Decisions Decisions Ł1.50 gallon
Old 14-06-2006, 04:57 PM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

Default Re: Emigrating to USA, where would you start???

Originally Posted by ESCYSCOTT
Emigrating to USA, where would you start???
Start with eating a bucket of KFC, 53 Big Macs, and 4.1 tons of Wendy's burgers a day for the next 6 months. They won't let you in unless you're obese
Old 14-06-2006, 05:05 PM
Keith B

I've been here for jsut over 4 years now - great weather and alot of good things about being here but I think some of you England haters need to leave for a while then come back to appreciate what a good country it is. Sure it has its problems - but you'll find that everywhere.
Old 14-06-2006, 05:18 PM
kennyA
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Default green card

Hi

I have a colleague who has worked in Richmond, Virginia for the past 6 years. He moved out there from Liverpool, he is still single and cannot get a green card and thinks he might have to come back next year.

I've not heard from him for a month or so, maybe he's been lucky.
Old 14-06-2006, 05:24 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Trouble is a LOT of people always think the grass is greener!!!

They moan like fook about this country, go somewhere else and in all honestly do you think its perfect? Hell a lot of things donw my head in, in America when i was there. Its not perfect Just weigh it up proberly! And going on holiday somewhere is in now way getting a taste for it sorry imo
Old 14-06-2006, 05:32 PM
James-W
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Unlike this country where you just walk straight in and get hand-outs immediately .
well put mike

i'm thinking about moving abroad not america though
Old 14-06-2006, 05:32 PM
old86EXP
15000 + 1

Have you given any thoughts to coming to Canada? There are tonnes of British ex-pats here and being a member of the commonwealth probably means immigrating is easier. The Canadian government has been slowly reducing taxes for the couple of years to boot.

I live in province were unemployment is so low that businesses have started reducing hours of operation because their so short of staff. This is even after the government lowed the start age from 14 years to 12 years of age.

-Kevin
Old 14-06-2006, 05:45 PM
svony
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like everywhere else there if the good and the bad. I've never been or lived in England but I would encourage anyone considering moving over here or anywhere for that matter is to atleast try it for awhile, maybe holiday for a few weeks.

I tried a living in Florida (Miami) for a a couple of months and hated it, I couldn't wait to get back to the nice, loud, crime ridden streets of New York Your best bet is to speak to as many people who have done the move and find out how they went about it. Also consider what type of business or work you will be looking for and see what the best area is for that.

If I can help you with any info regarding the New York area or even parts of the East Coast let me know.

Wes
Old 14-06-2006, 05:47 PM
BUK
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

get your arse to sunny spain
Old 14-06-2006, 06:08 PM
ESCYSCOTT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

thanks for all the positive replys and offers of help guys, will be saving this and be picking brains

Personally dont want to live in central america anywhere as I only live 20 minutes from the sea here and like to be near the ocean etc. Southern america gets too many tornados etc, lol. California would be nice if I was minted but i'm not and they get earthquakes, lol. I think east coast it is then, New York city sounds bout right, proper seasons, snow in winter, very warm in summer and the fall is exactly that

If I sold up in England in 5 years, paid off ALL our debt I think we'd have about Ł100k to take with us but maybe more if we saved a bit harder, possibly Ł130k ($250k) That would get us a mint house imo without mortgage, Claire is an accountant so couldn't see why she couldn't get a job easily and i'll become a pimp or something, pmsl I'd also be prepared to get a mortgage on a house and put half our money into a small business

its all just in our heads at the moment but once our wedding is out the way in august, we're gonna seriously look into it further
Old 14-06-2006, 06:17 PM
polly_x

Originally Posted by Keith B
I've been here for jsut over 4 years now - great weather and alot of good things about being here but I think some of you England haters need to leave for a while then come back to appreciate what a good country it is. Sure it has its problems - but you'll find that everywhere.
My thoughts exactly. Like I said, I lived there for 18 months and came home. It was great but I missed blighty in the end.
Old 14-06-2006, 06:48 PM
Keith B

I love coming back to the UK - more variety of weather (Yes sun every day does get boring!!)
I've been to NY twice and I have to say I loved the place - busy as hell but proper seasons and so much atmosphere.
Old 14-06-2006, 07:26 PM
plynchy
PassionFord Post Troll

Went round the world on honeymoon 2 years ago mate,and I would not want to live in the US. It's run by a fucking idiot for a start.

Get yourself to Oz, fantastic place, would sell up and go tomorrow if the missus would too....then again, maybe I should go on me own...

Would seriously visit Australia if you're thinking of emigrating, and NZ too, got a lot more going for them than the US has IMO. No offence to any Yanks on here BTW, except Fastmaul.

Old 14-06-2006, 07:29 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by Thrush
Rubbish

You complete DIV, of course it's different if your partner already has Amercan citizenship you spaz .

See Polly's thread above an humbly accept this .
She has UK CITIZENSHIP you DIV Has lived here for the past 10yrs.... Doesn't have a US passport, has a UK instead.....
Old 14-06-2006, 07:44 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

PACKINGYOURBAGSWOULDBEASTART.
Old 14-06-2006, 07:49 PM
Redeye Jedi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Benni
PACKINGYOURBAGSWOULDBEASTART.
Might be quite high on the list of things to do!
Old 14-06-2006, 11:07 PM
ESCYSCOTT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

there's allways one clever cunt isn't there
Old 14-06-2006, 11:16 PM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

I agree with Keith B as well. I have a very nice lifestyle here and love this country but I miss the cycling around the lanes, the country pubs on a summer evening, the motorways for winding a car up to name a few.

Seeing threads like Seans one with the lakes brings a lot of memories back of my cycling days in wales. Also as Rhys says, immerse yourself in the culture and see how you like it too. Having someone you know means you can hit the ground running with all the simple stuff like opening a bank account, getting a driving licence etc. You will be amazed at what you take for granted in your everyday life.

Family is a big one as well especially for girl as they are typically closer to parents or their mum at least. Happy to advise and help with Oz and I would recommend a visit to Melbourne before you settle anywhere as it fits all the same criteria as Vancouver (snow, sea, beaches, city etc).

Good luck with it mate and add me to MSN if you have any questions.
Old 14-06-2006, 11:27 PM
Fastmaul
K155MYRS

Here I am telling T we should pack up and move to the UK! LOL.

mate, honestly what ever downfall there is over there, we have something similiar here. I would like to go to Oz to see what it's like. I loved Canada but hate their freaking Subzero artic winters. Lived in the NYC area all my life so soon I would be willing to give it up for some long sunny/hot/warm days. I'm the opposite of Svony, I loved Miami (maybe it's because I got play with the ladies FPMSL).

You will LOVE Hawaii!! I did and so did Taryn. We actually almost moved there, and one day we will. If I didn't have my cossie, we would be there now.

Oh and Plynchy, maybe the reason you didn't like the US was because there's prettier crossdressers here than you. Oh, give Claire back clothes.. haha
Old 14-06-2006, 11:31 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

I think I could live in Miami or Hawaii

Quick Reply: Emigrating to USA, where would you start???