General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Serious topic. Looking for feedback please.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 06:48 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Official PassionFord Trader
Administrator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Serious topic. Looking for feedback please.

Most of you will know i am now writing technical articles freelance for Fast Ford magazine.

This is a first for me but is somethig i have always wanted to do from many years ago, so its all quite exciting at the moment and i am just polishing off article No4, with No3 due in teh shops next. So, now you have (hopefully) read the first 2 articles on Turbocharger sizing and reading compressor maps, i am looking for some feedback if any of you would be so kind as to give me a little of your time.
    Thanks in advance for your feedback, it is much appreciated.
    Old 08-06-2006, 07:21 AM
    Big Will_
    Borg Warner EFR Equipped!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
    Default Re: Serious topic. Looking for feedback please.

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments

1) Are the articles interesting enough for you? Are the subjects of interest?

Yes. Well, for me anyway. The subjects you've covered so far have dispelled a lot of myths and 'urban legends' that i've come across before. The information available on the internet is good in places and not others, so to have all the topics covered by one person means the information is consistent.

2) Are they explained well enough, or are you left thinking "What did he mean?"

Being the geek I am, I probably over analyze every little detail and as such find myself having to sit quietly and almost 'study' your articles before going off and trying to relate it - i.e once i read your article on compressor maps, i went and got a map for my GT28RS and taught myself how to understand it etc. The articles are well written but are definitely for the more serious 'techy' - i was talking to my mate about the VE article and he just looked at me blank...

3) Do you have any complaints about the way i word or explain things? Would you like to see anything changed at all?

Personally, No. With a bit of time and self motivation, i've learnt a lot from your articles already. With regards to changes, maybe consider a Questions and Answers section from previous articles, if anyone has read it and doesn't understand it - could write in?

4) Do you have a specific subject you would like me to cover in the future?

I've previously mentioned a few things i think the population would benefit from clearly understanding, Anti Lag being one of them

5) Serious question, if i wrote a book about tuning, would you buy it? lol.

Yes. Preferably if it came with some kind of interaction in a similar way to the "Engine Management Systems" book from Haynes came with a CD that allowed you to arse around with a dummy Emerald ECU. Makes a lot more sense if you can apply theory

6) If the answer to question No5 is a yes, what engine would you like it to be directed at?

I think you'd be limiting your market by writing specifically about either the YB or CVH engine etc. If you could talk generically about 4 pot 4 strokes - i think there'd be wider audience.

Hope that my opinions are of use Stu
    Old 08-06-2006, 07:22 AM
    dangerous - reyland
    Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stu - have to admit i haven`t read the articles

Is it possible for you to post a link or are they only available by purchasing the mag ?
    Old 08-06-2006, 07:42 AM
    Arfur
    I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by dangerous - reyland

Is it possible for you to post a link or are they only available by purchasing the mag ?
    Martin's got loads in his workshop. Go and nick one off him.
    Old 08-06-2006, 07:44 AM
    dangerous - reyland

Originally Posted by Simon@FF
    Originally Posted by dangerous - reyland

Martin's got loads in his workshop. Go and nick one off him.
    Thx Si.

Am off work tomorow so might call in But deffo by Sat
    Old 08-06-2006, 07:56 AM
    cossie4i+
    TT T38 Power

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Hope this helps

Steve.
      Old 08-06-2006, 07:59 AM
      Graceland
      Team HOTHOT!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very well written articles, Well worded for those like myself who like things explained in easy to understand ways

Looking forward to the book, can I have it autographed?

Trending Topics

Old 08-06-2006, 08:06 AM
      The DIVA
      PassionFord Post Whore!!

I agree with Will totally,the articles are excellent......although obviously aimed at people with some sort of technical knowledge they are not too hard for the layman to interpret if he is to spend a little time studying them....

The book is an excellent idea....
      Old 08-06-2006, 08:14 AM
      frog
      0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

An emphatic YES

2) Are they explained well enough, or are you left thinking "What did he mean?
      Still need to jog a few brain cells to fully understand, but just about right for me

3) Do you have any complaints about the way i word or explain things? Would you like to see anything changed at all?
      No, but I like big_will_85's idea of having a follow up Q&A

I put a few things up in your big-up-myself thread

One that would interest me also is boost control.

Yes

6) If the answer to question No5 is a yes, what engine would you like it to be directed at?
      Any engine would be interesting, more specifically, I think a book which touches on the diagnosis side of things would be very useful, I appreciate it's easy to ask questions on the net for us and get answers quickly, but not all have the facility
      Old 08-06-2006, 08:18 AM
      seand
      Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Default articles

articles are very descriptive, maybe slightly too techy for some but very in depth.
      get a book out bout the good old YB power unit!!!
      Old 08-06-2006, 08:30 AM
      Garage19
      PassionFord Post Troll

Yep, very good stuff

Some suggestions for futre topics that i find most people are confused by:

Detonation, what it is, how it is caused, how changing CR, ign timing, afr can effect timing of/max cylinder pressures. What are the destructive effects of det on your engine eg how can deonation cause HGF.

Air fuel ratios, how they effect burn rate, why you need to run richer than chemically optimum to get max power, why you can run stoich at idle/cruise but not WOT and how closed loop helps to do this/works.

Then you could cover components on by one eg. How does a fuel injector work? How does a FPR work.

Good to see a tech article a bit more challenging than "how to fit white dials" in a mag
      Old 08-06-2006, 08:34 AM
      stonehavencossie

Yes

Your explanation seems clear but due to my lack of technical knowledge i can get a little lost.

The articles do seem aimed towards people that already have a good level of understanding of engine tuning. However, you would expect a big majority of people buying the magazine to have a good level of knowledge anyway and as peeps have already mentioned its good for them to get something a little more challenging to read.

A basic summary section on the topic being discussed for the us less knowledgable. When my car has been at yours and there has been problems or a matter of discussion you have been able to explain them in very simple terms and i have understood clearly

Magazines have covered different stages of the YB engine tuning and i have noticed some contradictions. Would be good to see a list of detailed recommendations for each stage from you.

Yes

The YB naturally
      Old 08-06-2006, 08:45 AM
      Brookesy
      10K+ Poster!!

1) Are the articles interesting enough for you? Are the subjects of interest? Yes

2) Are they explained well enough, or are you left thinking "What did he mean?" Understood some of it

3) Do you have any complaints about the way i word or explain things? Would you like to see anything changed at all? Perfectly written

4) Do you have a specific subject you would like me to cover in the future? As Garage 19 said, Detonation, Antilag

5) Serious question, if i wrote a book about tuning, would you buy it? lol. Yes definately

6) If the answer to question No5 is a yes, what engine would you like it to be directed at? Any 4-stroke engine
      Old 08-06-2006, 09:12 AM
      Anonymous
      Banned

Yes on both counts

Ive had to re-read chapters a couple of times, and im sure people with a little less background knowledge than myself probably find some of them REALLY heavy going, but thats life, if you want to learn something worth while it takes a bit of concentration!

As above, its a bit heavy going at times, but im not really sure how you can "dum down" the reading age without then losing some of the content

Personally i would like to see you describe how to build a bottom end, taking into account stuff like actually ending up with bores with the same clearance even though a set of mahles normally varies by about half a thou so you have to adjust the bore size accordingly, that sort of thing, ie how to blueprint one not just build it

Yes i would, although wether i would ever get round to reading it is another question, lol

Wouldnt really make any difference to me, i guess i would like to see the calibra turbo covered though, as the YB has been done to death by tuners now and most people know how to get what they want from it anyway, but i suspect i will be in the minority feeling like that on a ford site, LOL
      Tuning modern diesels is something else i would like to read a decent book on maybe?
      Old 08-06-2006, 09:18 AM
      liammcl

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I know sweet FA about turbos and admit I had to read the article about compressor maps twice to get a grasp of it - But its is definitely good for the mag and I've enjoyed reading your pages
      Old 08-06-2006, 09:55 AM
      sabres74

Yes. Your first two articles on turbocharger sizing and compressor maps have adressed two areas that are usually totally misunderstood.

Logically and simply explained without lapsing into techno babble that needs a degree to understand. Anyone reading carefully and relating it to their own car spec will gain a real understanding.

Worded and explained at the correct level.

As mentioned above antilag would be favourite.

Providing it was written at the same level as your articles.

Cosworth
      Old 08-06-2006, 10:10 AM
      Rab
      Fucking superstar........

Originally Posted by Stu@MDevelopments
      1) Are the articles interesting enough for you? Are the subjects of interest? I'd say yes, I read the first 2 articles and will be reading the rest. It's nice to be able to pick the brains of one of the top tuners

2) Are they explained well enough, or are you left thinking "What did he mean?" I find them well explained, but I'm a professional(ish) engineer so I understand the terminology etc.

3) Do you have any complaints about the way i word or explain things? Would you like to see anything changed at all? None

4) Do you have a specific subject you would like me to cover in the future? Camshafts, how to pick the right spec Cam for my shonky CVH

5) Serious question, if i wrote a book about tuning, would you buy it? lol. Serious answer, Yes. I like Dave Walkers books, don't see why I wouldn't like yours

6) If the answer to question No5 is a yes, what engine would you like it to be directed at? I'm everyone will say cossie, but I'd prefer a broad book covering engines in general

Old 08-06-2006, 11:06 AM
      wimwerf
      PassionFord Post Troll

5)....yes i do

6)....about the YB

Old 08-06-2006, 11:16 AM
      Jay,
      Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

2) Are they explained well enough, or are you left thinking "What did he mean?" as usual as clear as day

3) Do you have any complaints about the way i word or explain things? Would you like to see anything changed at all? not at all

4) Do you have a specific subject you would like me to cover in the future? cams and headwork

5) Serious question, if i wrote a book about tuning, would you buy it? lol. yes

6) If the answer to question No5 is a yes, what engine would you like it to be directed at? COSWORTH as the fact when poeple say stage 330 bhp and it normally aint be nice to see a true account of what it takes
      Old 08-06-2006, 12:12 PM
      Ridgey
      PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 135 Likes on 121 Posts

Level of detail in articles is spot on IMO. If they were any more basic then what is the point of a "technical section".

A book about the YB, yes yes yes. But maybe a combined one on YB and CVH would be more marketable by expanding the range.

Looking forward to the next 2 sections of the articles, a book would be ace as you copuld expand further on these articles that are in FF, and much much more.

Dave
      Old 08-06-2006, 08:05 PM
      Big Will_
      Borg Warner EFR Equipped!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was just talking to some of my less technical mates about this and they've asked if you can do a glossary with a little explanation against the more techy words
      Old 08-06-2006, 08:17 PM
      James-W
      PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yes very interesting

No very well explained

no perfect mate

anti lag/compound turbbocherging

Yes

YB
      james
      Old 08-06-2006, 08:24 PM
      PeterD
      PassionFord Post Whore!!

Stu first of all whats an "article" and will it increase the power on my RS?

Seriously though....

Very good subjects in fact, im not saying its gonna make a budding tuner out of anybody but its good to have an explaination as to how these machines work written by somebody with the proper knowledge instead of a journalist.

I sat and looked at the graphs for a while thinking i had no idea what was going on (despite being a qualified mechanic) but when i read the article and took my time relating the written info to the graphs i thought the explaination was brilliant, unfortunately i missed your first tech article though.

Nope spot on

I would like to see engine mapping covered, possibly fueling (ie, overfuelling, injector flowrate comparisons and what effects these would have, 5th injectors etc etc)

I'd buy it, id probably steal it if i didnt have my wallet

The core ford tuning engines (YB and variants, cvh turbo, also other engines have also become staple in modern tuning as well along with hybrid engine types so something covering these would probably provide a vast usefull amount of knowledge for guys building/working on/running these types of engine)

I understand what ive just put in for the book suggestion would probably take a very very long time to do but from what you could put in as a tuner would benefit alot of us

Cheers

Pete
      Old 08-06-2006, 08:31 PM
      EIL132
      PassionFord Post Whore!!

Bought Fast Ford for the first time in ages to check it out. Article was very informative and well written, really Vizard style, but I seriously think you should do a book before revealing to much in a mag
      Old 08-06-2006, 08:38 PM
      Ian M
      I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

yes i thought the articles are well written and interesting. could do with being a bit longer i was just getting into it and then it ended.

now you have explained how to choose a turbo i think it may be prudent to know how to spec an engine to go with it. i would also like to understand about the effects of various cam timing settings and also cam choices.

yes i would buy a book on tuning the yb for various applications.
      Old 08-06-2006, 09:01 PM
      James
      PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yes.

I'll be honest i read the first one and that was excellent and explained alot, the second one totally confused me and left me with more questions than answers so i put it back on the shelf in smiths! if i sat done and read it a couple of times i might be ok but on the first read it was waaay over the top of my head, probably not helped by me being a n/a boy so it's somewhat more difficult for the likes of me to relate stuff like compressor maps to something in the real world as my car doesn't have a turbo.

Not really, as i say the second one was way over my head bbut the first one was worded perfectly.

Anti-lag would be a good one along with screamer pipes, cam selections, what the numbers mean, duration, overlap etc, ignition timing, spark plugs, a bit on carbs would be good but i can understand why this would be a very limited market, a page in classic ford maybe?

Maybe, if it was on the YB, Cossies in general or CVH then probably not as i'm not to familiar with these engines so again it'd leave me with more questions than answeres therfore i wouldn't buy it.

If it was a general in depth book on tuning four stroke 4 cylinder engines then yeah, but that must be hard with no specific engine to apply the theory to for example?

Tuning diesels, as someone said then yes, for sure i would buy that.

Well, the vw range of diesels from the 1.9 upto the v10 is what i'd say although i am probably the only one.
      Old 09-06-2006, 07:06 PM
      Stu @ M Developments
      PassionFords Creator
      Administrator

Thanks ever so much for all your input so far people, its much appreciated.

Please keep it coming if theres any more of you out there.
      Old 09-06-2006, 07:09 PM
      POPEYE
      FAIRY CAKE

cant be arsed to read all the replies
      but yes i would read it, and it would have to be on the xr6ti engine
      Old 09-06-2006, 08:33 PM
      Guinnless

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
      Thanks ever so much for all your input so far people, its much appreciated.

Please keep it coming if theres any more of you out there.
      Only just got the copy of FF today with Compressor Map article in it.

1) An emphatic yes.
      2) The explanations are perfectly balanced betwwen very in-depth and an overview.
      3)Don't change a thing.
      4)Anything really.
      5)Yes
      6)I'm biased but any Ford engine.

Just in case I appear sycophantic I'd tell you if I genuinely thought anything need changing or improving.

Well done.
      Old 09-06-2006, 09:44 PM
      Turbo Zetec
      Engine Machinist

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

yes and yes

i understand them perfectly, but i could see that somebody with no mechanical experiance at all having problems understanding them.

no and no

hmm... engine mapping possibly? the effects of different inlet plenums or exhausts (including manifolds)? VNT turbo's antilag/recirc systems.

oh yes

obviously the YB and CVH engines... possibly also zetec turbo's
      Old 11-06-2006, 10:44 AM
      _DAN_
      Yoon

1.Yes

2.Not really

3.Nowt fine as they are.

4.Low comp & Differences bewtween 2wd & 4wd saffs and escos's

5. For sure wish there was one available

6.YB Cossie [/code]
      Old 11-06-2006, 10:49 AM
      Matt
      PassionFord Post Whore!!

i dont buy/read the mags so not seen your articles but i did like some of the essays you have written on here before
      Old 11-06-2006, 11:14 AM
      Gregs

yes

yes

the only think i would like you to do stu is put more of the graphs/charts that apply to the ford engines e.g. on the article on reading compressor maps would have been nice to see the maps for T3, T34.63, T38, T4 GT30, GT35, GT40 etc so it gave us a idea of what we should be looking at etc

would like to see something on porting and polishing head work etc, showing the pros and cons and how much difference it makes to power the engine makes at the same boost levels etc

5) Serious question, if i wrote a book about tuning, would you buy it?
      yes

6) If the answer to question No5 is a yes, what engine would you like it to be directed at? cosworth or cvh
      Old 11-06-2006, 11:15 AM
      _DAN_
      Yoon

would have been nice to see the maps for T3, T34.63, T38, T4 GT30, GT35, GT40 etc so it gave us a idea of what we should be looking at etc
      Old 11-06-2006, 01:59 PM
      Mr C
      PassionFord Post Whore!!

yes with lots of info on stuff ive not really thought about before
      A little but re read it and I get it, no point making it easy and missing points
      No not really
      Nothing specific, just the whole turbo YB engine and how its works, will work better and specific parts needed would be spot on.
      Yes I would
      Would have to be soley about the YB for me to purchase it... DO IT
      Old 12-06-2006, 10:11 PM
      Stu @ M Developments
      PassionFords Creator
      Administrator

Thanks very much for the kind words everyone, its really very much appreciated. It is almost 90% down to you lot that i even bothered doing this as i have always been convinced that i would be useless at it, but i am getting some nice feedback so i may have to accept that i am not as crap at it as i expected...

I have made a list of all your point and the subjects you would like to see covered, and every month i will pick one. Tonight i have just finished next months and have to make the decision of what to write next, for teh little "Coming Next month" box at the bottom. I will puck one from your kind feedback on this topic.

Originally Posted by Gregs
      only think i would like you to do Stu is put more of the graphs/charts that apply to the ford engines e.g. on the article on reading compressor maps would have been nice to see the maps for T3, T34.63, T38, T4 GT30, GT35, GT40 etc so it gave us a idea of what we should be looking at etc
      The T3 and the GT30 were there.
      But in all seriousness, the problem with this is space, we have a certain number of pages to fill and we can either fill it with words, fill it with pictures, or fill it with a mix of both, i think the balance is just right at the moment.

The problem with feature length is of course that it is very hard to give any one subject a decent level of coverage in only 3000words, but thats about the max for a magazine feature. Expect to see some of teh more complex subjects spread out over several issue in teh future... i hope that would be well recieved?
      Old 12-06-2006, 10:57 PM
      rigwrecker

a book sounds like a good idea there aint much on the go for the newer
      engines.a think zetec would be the way to go because just think how many
      fords there are using that engine, the yb engine is ledgondary but its been done and lets face it there is alot more zetecs out there than ybs.
      I realy liked the articles and they certainly got ma brain thinking.all the best to ya what ever engine u decide to do it on
      Old 12-06-2006, 11:05 PM
      BlueSmoke
      PassionFord's crazy fool!

Stu, would it be unfeasable to write an article about the design of the YB and the reasons people change certain parts and the concepts and configurations involved in different power applications? TBH that would probably make a good book

But yes, the articles are fantastic even though I do need to read the last couple again as it's not yet sunk in

And you know how I'm always whinging about wanting to learn so yes of course I would buy a book from you mate. Knowing you are the straightforward, no-bollocks bloke that you are would be enough for me to want to read your book above others'.
      Old 13-06-2006, 05:27 AM
      JoeE30
      PassionFord Post Whore!!

Dont buy any mags other then bodybuilding ones...

But like said above i have read some of your essays that have been written on here and found them informative and a good read.....

Also like said maybe just a little less techie as i would say 75% of people dont understand what your going on about even tho they pretend to....
      Old 13-06-2006, 11:09 AM
      XR Dougie
      Regular Contributor

Default Stu's Work

Yeah stu everythin so far has been interesting and easy to understand, your doing a cracking job.

Engine wise as above I wouldnt write about one single engine as that would be to a limited set of people, I would write a bit about a few engines and thrown in some comaprisons etc etc

Keep up the good work mate, looking forward to next edition

Dougie

Quick Reply: Serious topic. Looking for feedback please.