General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Can my work do this ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 09:56 PM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can my work do this ??

I work for a college, been there about 8 months.

Me and Dave are arranging our holiday, decided on dates to go so Dave rang me and told me to book my holidays in at work.

When asked my manager was told straight out there was no way i could have the 2 weeks i was asking for as its the college enrolments time then.

I was never told this when i first started at the college and no-one has asked me if i was planning any holidays around those dates.

Not sure what to do now ? Quite annoyed

Dont really like my job anyway, was thinking of jacking it in and doing temp work, Has anyone ever left a perm job to go to a temping job ?
Old 01-06-2006, 09:59 PM
Phil
Jeebus

With colleges I thought it was basically term time is a no-go for holidays and so therefore you are expected to take your holidays outside of term time?

It's a bit much for them to say a straight no. Perhaps they would rather you holiday then than quit though
Old 01-06-2006, 10:03 PM
Mrs T
Super Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

in my job it was in my contract that i may not take my hoilday through certain months

have a look in your contract it should tell you there
Old 01-06-2006, 10:05 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My employer "electrical contractors" said that i couldnt have my 2 weeks in the 6 weeks holidays because and i quote "do you have a wife and kids"

Answer "No but i have 16 mates that might want a word with you if i cant go"

"O i see your problem just let us know next year"

Its descrimination in my case in a roundabout way but think your just going to have to lump it tbh
Old 01-06-2006, 10:07 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I think they can.

If you look at your contract (ask manager/head of dept for a copy) it will probably say something to the effect of "holidays can only be taken with business in mind"

i.e. a turkey farmer wont be able to take a 3week holiday over xmas (for example )

This may not be the case, but i would imagine it would be something like this unfortunately
Old 01-06-2006, 10:16 PM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

I aint actually seen my contact yet or signed one

Have chased HR about it but still have not been given anything to sign

So i aint had the pleasure of reading a contact
Old 01-06-2006, 10:33 PM
JxBabe
PassionFord Post Troll

Surely if you haven't signed a contract there's nothing they can do, as you can't be breaking your contract if you haven't signed one?
Old 01-06-2006, 10:37 PM
andy_st200
PassionFord Post Troll

im surprised youve not chased up the contract more its for your protection as much as your employer.. at the mo if they dont like you then can tell u to walk and youll have no come back whatsoever
Old 01-06-2006, 10:38 PM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by andy_st200
im surprised youve not chased up the contract more its for your protection as much as your employer.. at the mo if they dont like you then can tell u to walk and youll have no come back whatsoever

Well i kind of know that hence my hounding HR
Old 02-06-2006, 12:20 AM
Billabong
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by andy_st200
I've seen something similar said a couple of times recently on PF, and it's incorrect.

A contract of employment is an agreement entered into by an employer and an employee under which they have certain mutual obligations.

Contracts of employment may be oral or written. They may be of indefinite duration, or for fixed terms. They may be for training, apprenticeship or other purposes. In law, employees have a contract of employment as soon as they start work even where the written statement of employment particulars required by the legislation has not been given to the employee. More.

If no contract of employment exists beforehand, one will come into existence as soon as an employee starts work and, by doing so, demonstrates that he or she accepts the job on the terms offered by the employer. The contract need not be in writing, unless it is a contract of apprenticeship (employers should note however that a contract of apprenticeship may be found by the courts to be implied even if it is not in writing). Its terms can be written, oral, implied or a mixture of all three.

Implied terms might include those that are too obvious to be expressly agreed - for example, a term that the employee must accept reasonable instructions from the employer - those that are necessary to make the contract workable and those that are established by custom and practice in the particular organisation or industry concerned.
I *think* I'm correct in saying also,
All employees are entitled to receive a written statement, provided that their employment lasts for one month or more.

The written statement must cover:

the names of the employer and the employee;
the date when the employment (and the period of continuous employment) began;
remuneration and the intervals at which it is to be paid;
hours of work;
holiday entitlement;
entitlement to sick leave, including any entitlement to sick pay;
pensions and pension schemes;
the entitlement of employer and employee to notice of termination;
job title or a brief job description;
where it is not permanent, the period for which the employment is expected to continue or, if it is for a fixed term, the date when it is to end.
either the place of work or, if the employee is required or allowed to work in more than one location, an indication of this and of the employer's address; and
details of the existence of any relevant collective agreements which directly affect the terms and conditions of the employee's employment - including, where the employer is not a party, the persons by whom they were made.
Can't actually help on the holiday issue, but suggest you seek advice from the DTI or local Citizens advice bureau.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:42 AM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

As far as I know you are bound by them. If its a college then my understanding is it has to be during the holidays (dad was a teacher for 30 years). I know where I am, nothing related to education, I have to ask and its at their discretion although normally there is a bit of give and take. E.g. I use our outsource guy while I am away, still on call etc. Basically so it is seamless that I am away
Old 02-06-2006, 06:15 AM
Nik_W
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I work in education and as our place is open all year round I get to take my hols pretty much when I like but it is at the discretion of my line manager, and usually depends who else is off at that time.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:52 AM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Yeah thats much the same as our place but they have point blank turned around and told me i cant have any holidays for most of August and into September. Which i was never told would be the case when i joined the company.

They also told me at interview it would be a varied role, my role is far from that
Old 02-06-2006, 07:04 AM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

You're not happy so go temping - I did it for 3 months when I was made redundant in 2000. Flexible that if it's crap you just walk and thats that but you don't get paid if you don't work and theres no benefits.

Not ideal but gets you out of a bad situation. And if you've never signed a contract you can get up and leave straight away I sus[pect - nothing legally binding saying you have to give them a month. Top tip - do it on payday so you at least get your money !
Old 02-06-2006, 07:04 AM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be wrong but i thought if you gave enough notice and you have holiday time to take the employer has to give it to you.maybe different in a college but i work in a shop and i get any time i want within reason. ie as long as too many others arent off at time.
hope you get it sorted helen.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:42 AM
Nik_W
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by Cossie Helen
Yeah thats much the same as our place but they have point blank turned around and told me i cant have any holidays for most of August and into September.
And my line manager insists I take time off during August/September!! I tend to work through summer because there's not as many staff or children in so it's a much nicer place to work. But then I tend to have way too much holiday left at the end of the financial year. Hope you get it sorted, but if you don't you could always have an 'illness' for a week
Old 02-06-2006, 07:49 AM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

I need 2 weeks

Might accidently fall and hurt my arm/foot/leg PMSL

TBH I'm seriously thinking of handing my notice in 4 weeks before my holiday and then haveing 2 weeks away and start temping when i get back from hols. Just a bit nervous that i would be out of work here and there for a week etc

And if i ever find a perm job out of it
Old 02-06-2006, 07:51 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Sorry but I think its common sense and courtesy to check with your employer if you can take the specific time off work before booking a holiday.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:54 AM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Porkie
Sorry but I think its common sense and courtesy to check with your employer if you can take the specific time off work before booking a holiday.

Yeah thats what i did yesterday, weeks in advance

We wanting to go away 26th August
Old 02-06-2006, 07:57 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

oh ok. Sorry. I thought you had booked it and then asked.

No worries. I apologise
Old 02-06-2006, 07:59 AM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Porkie
oh ok. Sorry. I thought you had booked it and then asked.

No worries. I apologise

I'll let you off pmsl
Old 02-06-2006, 11:30 AM
Sexy-RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think all colleges abd schools are the same helen, ollie is not aloowed time off in school time only half terms .....
Old 02-06-2006, 11:36 AM
MWF
PassionFord Post Troll

Well there's your problem there. You really need to put aside some of that holiday planning time and look at doing something about that.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:44 AM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by MWF
Well there's your problem there. You really need to put aside some of that holiday planning time and look at doing something about that.

I'm sick of actually hounding HR for it

Been told this morning i need to take the rest of my holidays for this year before the end of August
Old 02-06-2006, 11:52 AM
D19 STE
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I work for a college and look after the Joinery workshop, I can have holidays anytime providing I chat with my line manager first and dont take the piss, but they do prefer that I take my holidays out of term time so I'm off all this week and all of August
Old 02-06-2006, 04:52 PM
choppa
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

put it to them that you've worked all the time and havent taken the holiday your entitled to, so please could you carry the holiday over. try to reason with em with the advance warning thing too. if they wont ave it, take the holiday, as you havent signed a contract, an see what happens. at the end of the day you seem un happy with what gwan so if you do get fired, is it so bad? keeping on the safe side, put ya cv into a few places and try an find another job on the schnide. if ya get an interview and this new place wants you, and your present job doesnt fire you, who cares about the new job... long em off. at least youve covered your arse.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Got a contact this morning

Had a read thru theres nothing in there to say i'm not able to take holidays in August / September

I re-arranged my hols so i would be back at work for enrolment and i still got them refused