General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

DIY Turbo Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 31-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Escy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY Turbo Rebuild

I've just bought a turbo that someone has DIY rebuilt, i was a bit concerned about it not having been run since, but i was desperate for a turbo.

They guy hadn't had it balanced as he'd only put new seals and bearings in and said if you don't remove any weight from the shaft and you line it up correctly you don't need to. I've heard that before.

There was a bit of side to side and a bit of in and out play so I was worried it was fooked.

I fitted it last night and it boosted fine, but there is a metallic clicking coming from the turbo under load, the higher the revs the quicker the noise. It's kind of like the noise you get when you have a nail in your tyre. It also smoked like a bitch and was worse that the turbo i'd taken it off.

I assumed it was fucked and that the wheels had touched the housing, causing the noise.

I am quite shocked when I had a look at it just now and there isn't any play in it at all, it's solid.

Now i've kind of got my hopes up that it might not be totally fucked.

What could the noise be? Is it possible that something could have been but on the wrong way around, like an oil seal, or do turbo's only go together one way?

Any good websites cover stripping turbo's?

I suppose i've got nothing to loose by taking it apart and checking it all out.

edit - It's a T28 of a Pulsar GTI-R if that makes any difference.
Old 31-05-2006, 05:56 PM
Escy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the shaft was out of balance, would this cause the ticking sound? Also, would a shaft out of balance be responsible for oil seals leaking?