General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

You are what you eat!

Search this Thread

Old 25-05-2006, 11:47 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by JxBabe
Makes me feel lucky that I can eat what I like!
Yep, me too
Old 25-05-2006, 01:03 PM
Richie Russ
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting thread this...

I have an allergy to nuts, but thats it, how some people cope with eating only what they can makes me feel rather happy that i can east pretty much anything and big up to people that cope so well

What i cant understand with myself personally is, why the hell am i so tired all the time (8 hours per night) and feel so irritable with most things / people and generally feel unsociable sometimes, i have a VERY short fuse which in my line of work (meetings every day etc) is not a good thing to have with potential clients, i end up shouting at them, lol when i used to be a placid person who was always up for a laugh...am only 27 too !

I don't really drink too much coke, i dont drink tea or coffee either, mainly water and fruit juice, what i 'think' is my problem is that i dont eat enough throughout the course of the day, i may have a roll or bag of crisps, but thats it, but i dont feel hungry enough to eat big lunches, so im going shopping with the other half tonight to get loads of fresh fruit, veg, fish, chicken and pasta..

I will also see how things pan out.....
Old 25-05-2006, 01:07 PM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rich, have a chat with me if your about tonight when I bring the car up to Carl... I went on a shit hot diet routine 4 months ago.. weight dropped (but i needed it to) but i feel pretty good throughout the day and Im up at 6am, dont get back from work till 7.30 / 8pm.. sometimes 9. and am rarely in before before 11.30
Old 25-05-2006, 01:17 PM
Richie Russ

Cheers Dave, yeah i should be about tonight, i was having lots of protein drinks and i bought a nice multi gym but after a while, i just couldnt be bothered with it all and went back to my crappy routine of eating not much in the day and take aways in the evening as i couldnt be bothered to cook ! hmm, im seeing this 'couldnt be bothered' cropping up on my posts rather frequently, so really, i need something to make me bothered....
Old 06-06-2006, 09:00 PM
Butch.
PassionFord Post Troll

well me and stu are great big bbq's then
Old 06-06-2006, 09:11 PM
Danielle
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i noticed this when i began eating heathier!!

except now ive started to become tired all the time, i think i have low iron count but gtg for a blood test!!

think i will have to take iron tablets as i dont eat much red meat!

what else can i eat that has plenty of iron in it?
Old 06-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Jemma
Dan's Ass Kicker

Originally Posted by Danielle

http://www.healthcastle.com/iron.shtml
Old 04-08-2006, 09:49 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

as its a usefull topic for people.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:59 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

cheers stu
Old 04-08-2006, 10:16 AM
BlueSmoke
PassionFord's crazy fool!

except now ive started to become tired all the time, i think i have low iron count but gtg for a blood test!!

Oh the jokes I could crack about you not getting enough red meat....

Yes, I'm sad

I just went ont hat link and read about a couple of things. Very good!

But Stu, you shouldn't be on here, you should be hard at it, clearing your backlog so that a night at the Syndicate is on the agenda!
Old 04-08-2006, 10:38 AM
Cam
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I kicked Caffeine in the head after I found out I'm caffeine intolerant and noticed lots of changes...all for the good
Old 04-08-2006, 10:42 AM
Daveyboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

if/when i drink tea and coffee now its always decaffeinated. must say, ive not been as much of a mardy fooker lately
Old 04-08-2006, 10:45 AM
BlueSmoke

Originally Posted by Daveyboy
if/when i drink tea and coffee now its always decaffeinated. must say, ive not been as much of a mardy fooker lately
See now, this I don't get. Surely people only drink coffee for the caffeine? I mean, it's not because it tastes so damn good, is it?

So what's the point in decaf? drink something else instead!
Old 04-08-2006, 10:48 AM
Daveyboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by DogSmoke
See now, this I don't get. Surely people only drink coffee for the caffeine? I mean, it's not because it tastes so damn good, is it?

So what's the point in decaf? drink something else instead!
not at all. if i just wanted caffeine i would take some proplus

granted i dont like all types of coffee, but there are a lot of different variants. And tea is just a must first thing in the morning
Old 04-08-2006, 10:48 AM
Daveyboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

a bit like marmite i suppose matey
Old 04-08-2006, 10:58 AM
Cola
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Debatable

Danielle, my bod doesn't produce iron naturally. If that's the case they'll put you on pills. Doctor advised I take them with orange juice as that helps your retain the iron.. oh and brocolli has LOADS in it
Old 04-08-2006, 11:02 AM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Richie Russ

I have an allergy to nuts, but thats it, how some people cope with eating only what they can makes me feel rather happy that i can east pretty much anything and big up to people that cope so well

What i cant understand with myself personally is, why the hell am i so tired all the time (8 hours per night) and feel so irritable with most things / people and generally feel unsociable sometimes, i have a VERY short fuse which in my line of work (meetings every day etc) is not a good thing to have with potential clients, i end up shouting at them, lol when i used to be a placid person who was always up for a laugh...am only 27 too !

I don't really drink too much coke, i dont drink tea or coffee either, mainly water and fruit juice, what i 'think' is my problem is that i dont eat enough throughout the course of the day, i may have a roll or bag of crisps, but thats it, but i dont feel hungry enough to eat big lunches, so im going shopping with the other half tonight to get loads of fresh fruit, veg, fish, chicken and pasta..

How have you got on? sounds very similair to me tbh, i never have breakfast, often skip lunch and just have a meal at tea time. However for the last few months i have been trying my best to make time for lunch, but it'm still skipping breakfast, could this be the problem?

I might snack through the day aswell with crisps & a apple usually, i don't drink any tea/coffee and rarely drink coke.

very interesting thread though!
Old 04-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Clare
PassionFord Post Whore!!

A suggestion, and tell me to fook off if you want but try cutting out sugar for a 2 week period. No chocolate, sweets, fizzy drinks (except diet), basically anything with sugar in. Go easy on natural fruit and fruit juice.
In addition to this set yourself a minimum of 3 ´times´during the day that you are going to eat Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner, and stick to those times (or very close to it) for the same 2 week period.
Try and include complex carbs in at least 2 out of those 3 meals.
Dont let yourself get hungry, sounds odd I know, but if you start to get a rumbly belly in between your mean ´times´snack on something like a sandwich, or veg.

After this period if you feel a significant improvment in your sleeping pattern, moods, concentration, and general health get yourself along to the Docs for a Diabeties test. If this comes back negative ask your Doctor to consider whether you may be Hypoglycemic, a condition often mis-diagnosed but can be serious if not controlled nonetheless.

What I only found out myself recently, is that Hypoglcemia, if not controlled correctly can be the route trigger for Panic Attacks and all the other lovely things that come along with them.

If this does turn out to be the problem in your case, its not the end of the world, doing research can be a little scary and threats of progression into type 2 Diabeties and even death are all over the internet but its not difficult to control if you get into a routine, once your body is used to a routine, you soon know about it if you step out of the routine even just for one meal or sneaky sugar fix. The downside is one major symptom of Hypoglcemia is that your body craves sugar, it doesnt need it because you replace it with complex carbs that in turn break down into good sugar so your body doesn´t go without, it just tricks you into craving it.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:31 PM
Richie Russ

Originally Posted by Clare
A suggestion, and tell me to fook off if you want but try cutting out sugar for a 2 week period. No chocolate, sweets, fizzy drinks (except diet), basically anything with sugar in. Go easy on natural fruit and fruit juice.
In addition to this set yourself a minimum of 3 ´times´during the day that you are going to eat Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner, and stick to those times (or very close to it) for the same 2 week period.
Try and include complex carbs in at least 2 out of those 3 meals.
Dont let yourself get hungry, sounds odd I know, but if you start to get a rumbly belly in between your mean ´times´snack on something like a sandwich, or veg.

After this period if you feel a significant improvment in your sleeping pattern, moods, concentration, and general health get yourself along to the Docs for a Diabeties test. If this comes back negative ask your Doctor to consider whether you may be Hypoglycemic, a condition often mis-diagnosed but can be serious if not controlled nonetheless.

What I only found out myself recently, is that Hypoglcemia, if not controlled correctly can be the route trigger for Panic Attacks and all the other lovely things that come along with them.

If this does turn out to be the problem in your case, its not the end of the world, doing research can be a little scary and threats of progression into type 2 Diabeties and even death are all over the internet but its not difficult to control if you get into a routine, once your body is used to a routine, you soon know about it if you step out of the routine even just for one meal or sneaky sugar fix. The downside is one major symptom of Hypoglcemia is that your body craves sugar, it doesnt need it because you replace it with complex carbs that in turn break down into good sugar so your body doesn´t go without, it just tricks you into craving it.
Fook off

Im defo NOT a diabetic, i like all things sweet, just dont eat much of it, but thanks for the info, much appreciated, a very good read

I have started to eat more, but just break it down a bit, im now eating brekkie although i still hate the thought of it, have something at 1030, banana or similar, then have lunch, then something at 1600, then dinner at about 1800, rather than just having a nibble here and there then a big dinner, i think i was also eating too quickly which doesnt help.

My typical daily munch now would be :

0800 - Cereal / toast (1 slice)
1030 - Apple or Banana
1300 - Few rolls with some crisps
1600 - Cornish pasty / sausage roll
1800 - Chicken / pasta / fish with jacket spuds or new potatoes etc, the occasional Kebab

Then i tend to pig out if im in the mood in the evening which leaves me going to bed on a full stomach, but it really has helped me feel MUCH better, it is just getting the motivation to do it and stick to it, which i have so far, but i just no my routine will get ruined by something, i also need to quit smoking, but fear i'd pile on the pounds

I also (and sorry for this) go to the toilet about 4 times per day, two or 3 times in the morning, then one before bed, i have been doing this same thing for years, but most of my mates go about 1 or 2 times per day, which is worrying..
Old 04-08-2006, 12:35 PM
Richie Russ

Originally Posted by James

How have you got on? sounds very similair to me tbh, i never have breakfast, often skip lunch and just have a meal at tea time. However for the last few months i have been trying my best to make time for lunch, but it'm still skipping breakfast, could this be the problem?

I might snack through the day aswell with crisps & a apple usually, i don't drink any tea/coffee and rarely drink coke.

very interesting thread though!
James, as much as i dread the thought, have brekkie if you can, i even sometimes have a pint of milk which goes down well if your on the move and dont leave enough time for things which im rather good at , i just dont feel hungry, but i know i have to have goodness inside me to make me sociable and above all healthy and alert, try it for a week and report back !!
Old 04-08-2006, 02:21 PM
Richie Russ

Originally Posted by Matt J
Exactly how I am Richie, wont eat breakfast, cant usually face something that early in the morning, just a cup of tea. Wont eat dinner as rarely feel hungry enough, just have a big evening meal.

I can NEVER have enough sleep, find it really hard to get out of bed all the time whether I've had 5 or 10 hours kip, makes no difference. Just cant be bothered to do alot of stuff, I've started no end of things in my life only to pack them up 2 weeks later as "I cant be bothered"
Yep, sounds similar Matt, but after eating better for a few weeks has certainly helped me out, but its the 'being bothered' part thats so fucking annoying !!
Old 04-08-2006, 02:28 PM
BlueSmoke

Hmm this is interesting. I too am usually very tired, have poor sleep patterns and sometimes quite irritable etc. Difference is I get nowhere near 8 hours. I am lucky to get 5 hours without waking up. If I go to bed early, I wake early. I can wake at 4, 5, 6am and not be able to get back to sleep.

I have eaten lots of crap for the last few years but am gradually getting better. I have stopped eating anything on a night after having my tea now, even tho I do get very hungry. I used to eat at 11, 12pm at night. Sometimes a microwave pizza and chips! Bad, bad, bad! I've cut that out now.

During a day I eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast, sometimes a bag of crisps between breakfast and lunch, then for lunch usually sandwiches and a bag of crisps with some diet pop.

Then I have my tea which is a cooked meal on an evening. That makes up my daily routine. Besides the bag of crisps I've actually stopped snacking! I hadn't even realised that until I wrote this.

The only real bad part of my routine that I can see there is that I am sometimes eating 2 bags of crisps a day. But on a calories level I am certain I'm staying under 2500 a day now, on most days. Do go a bit mad at the weekend though!

I get so hungry that I couldn't go all day without eating. No way.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Wazzzer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

very interseting topic for me as my missus is intolerant to any dairy products but was still getting the same symptoms so she decided to cut out wheat/gluten as well and she feels so much better

As Nicole said there is no real test that says straight away if you're allergic to certain things, its a lot of trial and error
Old 04-08-2006, 05:30 PM
Keith B
Advanced PassionFord User

Clare - since this thread started I had a proper glucose tolerance test in the states. Turns out I am hypoglycemic so my pancreas makes too much insulin - it basically over reacts to sugar.

I've since cut out white rice, pasta, most potato products, most caffeine, and over consumption of anything with a high glycemic index. I now sleep alot better, am less moody and agressive and dont get the massive suagr rushes followed by exhaustion (both mental and physical)

I'm convinced this came about due to my diet of tons of choc bars, fizzy caffeinated drinks and junk food. I do masses of exercise and have a very low body fat % so it can happen to anyone - stay off the crappy food peeps!

I still really crave sugary stuff (which is bizarre!) but I jsut have small amounts or have them after eating a meal of other stuff so that it doesnt get absorbed as fast. Absorbtion rate is whats critical.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:04 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

bttt
Old 05-08-2006, 12:32 PM
rabmc
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yeah i feel tired quite alot and am sooo snappy most of the time

I eat shit tbh total shit ! Crisps no fizzy juise or coffee i must say but stella kebabs and all the shite of the day , and i need to get it sorted !

Cant imagine it would change how i act etc , but im open minded about it .

Oh and the fact i need to lose the weight does not help

Old 05-08-2006, 12:35 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Stu your problems explain your behaviour on RSBB towards me
Old 05-08-2006, 12:37 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Originally Posted by Bosch-Man
Stu your problems explain your behaviour on RSBB towards me
My problems explain a lot of things about My Past life Phil. I hope this post will help others get diagnosed and treated faster than the 34yrs it took me.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Clare
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Keith B
Clare - since this thread started I had a proper glucose tolerance test in the states. Turns out I am hypoglycemic so my pancreas makes too much insulin - it basically over reacts to sugar.

I've since cut out white rice, pasta, most potato products, most caffeine, and over consumption of anything with a high glycemic index. I now sleep alot better, am less moody and agressive and dont get the massive suagr rushes followed by exhaustion (both mental and physical)

I'm convinced this came about due to my diet of tons of choc bars, fizzy caffeinated drinks and junk food. I do masses of exercise and have a very low body fat % so it can happen to anyone - stay off the crappy food peeps!

I still really crave sugary stuff (which is bizarre!) but I jsut have small amounts or have them after eating a meal of other stuff so that it doesnt get absorbed as fast. Absorbtion rate is whats critical.
Hi Keith

Good news that you got a diagnosis, and fab news that you´re starting to feel much better with the new diet already, sounds like you´ve been very good at sticking to the new diet.

I was very strict with myself for the first couple of years after diagnosis, and felt soooo much better for it, thankfully it came around the time of my Exams so just in time to keep my energy levels up!
Unfortunately these days I am not as strict with myself as my lifestyle has changed considerably, but i´ve got to the point again where im sick & tired of being sick & tired so im slowly getting myself back into a routine and starting to sleep better already.
Next step on the list for me is to cut out caffeine as I drink far too much Coke Light (Diet Coke)........ not going to be easy tho.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:52 AM
whilee
founder of chicken porn

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

find a decent butchers m8 n eat propper meat
Old 16-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Nicole
PassionFord Post Troll

Alot of health problems are related to poor diet, alot of people shrug it off and say it's aload of rubbish, but if you think about it logically, whatever you put inside your body has an effect before it leaves your body.

It's very difficult to eat healthily these days as nothing healthy is readily available, it's all fast food and we have hectic lifestyles which makes healthy eating difficult, but it's well worth it in the long run, the only time i really struggle to eat properly is at car shows, etc, and i just have to eat a portion of chips or baked potato if they have them which is pretty grim cause they are always awful.

It is REALLY hard to anylise everything you put into your mouth but you get used to it and it becomes normal
Old 16-09-2006, 08:00 PM
fezzanut

phorrus sulphate tablets from the pharmacy there about Ł4.im on them at the mo cos im aneamic (sp) i get very tired easily and i really struggle to get out of bed in the mornings and im always late for work
Old 16-09-2006, 08:55 PM
L33 BYT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

What an interesting thread. I have a real bad attitude problem some times and suffer some of Stu's listed symptoms.
I dont drink tea/coffee but I do drink on average about 8 cans of Red bull a day which are not only full of caffine but full of other nasty shit.

An interesting read. I may try doing some form of detox replacing this shit for Water.
Old 16-09-2006, 08:59 PM
fezzanut

Originally Posted by L33 BYT
What an interesting thread. I have a real bad attitude problem some times and suffer some of Stu's listed symptoms.
I dont drink tea/coffee but I do drink on average about 8 cans of Red bull a day which are not only full of caffine but full of other nasty shit.

An interesting read. I may try doing some form of detox replacing this shit for Water.
fooking hell mate 8 cans of red bull a day cant be good for you,and cant be cheap either
Old 16-09-2006, 09:00 PM
L33 BYT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Its not cheap. 4 quid a multipack. Its almost like an addiction to be honest.
Old 16-09-2006, 09:34 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

ive had digestion problems since i was about 16, used to get really bad stomach cramps everyday, and nausea and vomiting, doctor just told me i had ibs without doing any tests to diagnose it.

suggested i write down everything i eat and make a note of it and then eliminate certain things,

for a while i found out that white bread really gave me a bad stomach ache and cramps, and if i ate a few slices i would be in quite bad pain

still get really bad pains all the time, but the doctors are reluctant to do anything about it, but i defo think the foods you eat play a big part in the way your body works..... caffeine especially
Old 16-09-2006, 11:24 PM
tregmatt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

NICE ONE STU I THINK I WILL GIVE THAT A TRY I DRINK FAR TO MUCH COFFEE AND CAFFINE TO KEEP AWAKE WHILE DRIVING
Old 26-12-2007, 10:54 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

BTTT to see if Davey is a changed man.
Old 26-12-2007, 11:34 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

quite an interesting thread, i drink alot of coke so i may come off it and see if i notice a difference

Quick Reply: You are what you eat!