General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Had to laugh! my FRS vs. M3.

Search this Thread

Old 23-05-2006, 09:19 AM
Damocos
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mmmm good topic this 1, we all know e46 M3's are the nads, yes they are very quick and yes compared to many fords they are far better, but....
It can all depend on who's driving wot at the time. Them M3's have got a few gizmo's that up the pace just a tiny bit (how quick they change up) and there's the button which just seems to give it an extra kick, not sure wot it is tho??? On the same subject the FRS can be a real tool too, it all depends how its driven and knowing the cars capabilities. If you in the wrong gear or not on the power in any car will it'll give you a dissadvantage to a degree, ive done it myself, been in the wrong gear in my old stage 3 saff 4x4 and had some lesser cars get the edge on me But on another note, when i had my saff a mate of mine had a M3 coupe e46 and from 80 upto 150 there wasnt anything in it really, it was only after that he started to edge in front He was impressed that a 14yr old ford worth 5.5k could keep up with his 42k beemer

Also worth a note, a friend has a FRS with bluefin, exhaust and a few other mods and against my 195 brake sierra it was level peggings upto 135 Maybe he got the timing wrong but heh who cares
Old 24-05-2006, 02:07 PM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr Brannen

I would happily race you for log books on that one fella, even though my car is probably worth about 6 times what yours is, dont dare put XR`s in the same bracket as M3 `s, fuck me it is getting better one here every week, last week with the RST v M3 was bad enough but an XR this week fook off
i never said i was as quick as the m3 you muppet! i said i JUST managed to hang on - down a short section of dual carrageway, then round a roundabout (Where i caught, and undertook him) and then on another section of dual carrageway. by the end of it we'd covered about 1/2 a mile and hed gained 2 or 3 car lengths on me from the start....(i rinsed him round the roundabout but he made it back on the straight)

im not fucking stupid i know in a straight line drag it wouldve left me, i just meant that i was suprised he didnt leave me for dust and that i managed to keep with it as i did through the roundabout and the short straights.

and if you want a race for logbooks mate, ill be at the performance vauxhall show on the 4th of june at santapod, ill even give you a lift home in your old car
Old 25-05-2006, 10:47 AM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

BTTT for mr brannen
Old 25-05-2006, 03:47 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and if you want a race for logbooks mate, ill be at the performance vauxhall show on the 4th of june at santapod, ill even give you a lift home in your old car
Old 26-05-2006, 08:34 PM
Mr Brannen
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by xr-Stu
BTTT for mr brannen
You would seriously put that thing in ya sig up against an M, Im not even gonna bother replying to this anymore
Old 26-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Anh
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Anyone who rates an M3 on what is does on a motorway/straight line has no idea what the M3 is really about.

Motorway racing is boring, if you managed to beat one, or "keep up" with one up to xxx mph, well congratulations for acheiving something that means didley squat. It's like winning a medal for a South east England pissing contest.

My M3 is fast enough in a straight line, but the real joy of driving one is in its balance, handling, comfort and quick engine response. You get instant power in any gear, and the car doesnt feel like its going to fall apart or spin out into the next hedge like most turbo euro-boxes and jap-barges.

I enjoy my 3.0 M3 anywhere, in slow roads or fast motorways, its just there to enjoy on the road without having to break the speed limit all the time for some hollow victory so you can post and brag about it on the internet.
Old 26-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

BTTT for mr brannen
You would seriously put that thing in ya sig up against an M, Im not even gonna bother replying to this anymore
So....Who feels like a cunt now then.
Old 26-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Mike1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey, who remembers Tiff testing this one on Top Gear?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dljc0...earch=bmw%20m3

What's he going tobe driving at Castle Combe this year?
Old 26-05-2006, 10:45 PM
Mr Brannen
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Benni
BTTT for mr brannen

Hey Im not backing down to this one at all, make it a bit closer to home and Im there, I think you`ll agree that Santa Pod is a bit of a trek from Newcastle just to go and obliterate some daft XR2, come on lads a bit of common sense
Old 26-05-2006, 11:19 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Mr Brannen Not if you go home with An XR2i
Old 26-05-2006, 11:31 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

if it's a NA xr2. stripped out, massive cams and carbs, then it could stand a chance to 60... then the m3 would whip it's 12inch schlong out, and piss all over it...
Old 27-05-2006, 06:28 AM
plynchy
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Anh
Anyone who rates an M3 on what is does on a motorway/straight line has no idea what the M3 is really about.

Motorway racing is boring, if you managed to beat one, or "keep up" with one up to xxx mph, well congratulations for acheiving something that means didley squat. It's like winning a medal for a South east England pissing contest.

My M3 is fast enough in a straight line, but the real joy of driving one is in its balance, handling, comfort and quick engine response. You get instant power in any gear, and the car doesnt feel like its going to fall apart or spin out into the next hedge like most turbo euro-boxes and jap-barges.

I enjoy my 3.0 M3 anywhere, in slow roads or fast motorways, its just there to enjoy on the road without having to break the speed limit all the time for some hollow victory so you can post and brag about it on the internet.
Have you actually read any of this thread, including my post further up this page??

It's a Ford forum pal. If someone appears to acheive a "hollow victory" against a supposedly superior vehicle of another make, they like to let other Ford owners know about it.
Lighten up FFS.

I don't think that my Focus should have kept pace with the M3 either, fact is, it did. Whether or not the driver was asleep or not is another matter. And you may be pleasantly surprised at how quick a "euro-box" FRS responds in all situations too, engine and handling.

While i'm on....the Top Gear track times...343PS M3 vs. 212PS Focus RS.
BMW M3 1.31.8
Ford Focus RS 1.32.2

Huge difference eh?
Old 27-05-2006, 06:29 PM
Anh

Originally Posted by plynchy
Have you actually read any of this thread, including my post further up this page??

It's a Ford forum pal. If someone appears to acheive a "hollow victory" against a supposedly superior vehicle of another make, they like to let other Ford owners know about it.
Lighten up FFS.

I don't think that my Focus should have kept pace with the M3 either, fact is, it did. Whether or not the driver was asleep or not is another matter. And you may be pleasantly surprised at how quick a "euro-box" FRS responds in all situations too, engine and handling.

While i'm on....the Top Gear track times...343PS M3 vs. 212PS Focus RS.
BMW M3 1.31.8
Ford Focus RS 1.32.2

Huge difference eh?
Of course I read your post. All I see is someone who is looking for a reaction to the idea that a Ford keeps up or beats a more expensive car in a straight line.

...because somehow in your warped blue oval, flag of st george waving, wayne rooney chantng world you think all cars should be measured on who gets in front in a high speed blast on your local dual carraigeway.

...an all rounder.

You also have this warped idea that the M3 is some dedicated track car. It's a 1500 kg road car with good build quality, prestige, good handling, good acceleration in any gear, and the practicality of a 3-series. It's a car to enjoy everyday on the road no matter what city or country you are in, its not your weekly thrash and pop to the local Ford RS meet in the McD's car park. So Top gear track times means didly squat, just like any "motorway battle"

I completely get the point, and its a lame one to see if a Focus, modded Fiesta, shopping cart with 2 stroke can keep up with an M3, but so what?

you will never know untill you owned or driven an M3, you will find your thread a load of nonsense.

Have your 3 car lengths @ 130 mph and risk losing your license on the M11, you're still in a Ford that's no where as drivable as an M3.
Old 27-05-2006, 06:40 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Anh
Of course I read your post. All I see is someone who is looking for a reaction to the idea that a Ford keeps up or beats a more expensive car in a straight line.

...because somehow in your warped blue oval, flag of st george waving, wayne rooney chantng world you think all cars should be measured on who gets in front in a high speed blast on your local dual carraigeway.
Stop being a cock.

The guy used to own a Boxster up until recently, so his Ford flag waving is limited.

Looking at your posts though, all you seem to do is come on here defending cars when no-one is actually slating them at all.

Learn to read, then come back when you feel ready to contribute to the forum in an adult manner.
Old 27-05-2006, 06:44 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Anh You are the perfect example of a stuck up cock.
Old 27-05-2006, 06:54 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does it really matter, i cant stand bm's tbh but i went out in a m roadster 3.2 thing with me mate marko at the wheel and lets just say it was amesome, 165mph not a problem would have probably battled on to over 170 if the road was long enough. I cant see most fords doing that without blowing up tbh lol.

I mean people always compare modded fords to standard cars, i know i used to. When i had me stage3 2wd saph i used to say loads of cars were shit but in reality they were far better more capable cars just not on an empty motorway. What i mean is that most people on here say scoobys are shit but give 1 the same power as a stage3 cossie and a twisty road and i bet most people would change there minds about them being "shit"

Fords are good but reality is that there are now better more capable cars out there for less money
Old 27-05-2006, 07:20 PM
Rs Rosco
Regular Contributor

I'll stick with fords
Old 28-05-2006, 03:03 PM
Anh

Originally Posted by Alps Pacino
Does it really matter, i cant stand bm's tbh but i went out in a m roadster 3.2 thing with me mate marko at the wheel and lets just say it was amesome, 165mph not a problem would have probably battled on to over 170 if the road was long enough. I cant see most fords doing that without blowing up tbh lol.

I mean people always compare modded fords to standard cars, i know i used to. When i had me stage3 2wd saph i used to say loads of cars were shit but in reality they were far better more capable cars just not on an empty motorway. What i mean is that most people on here say scoobys are shit but give 1 the same power as a stage3 cossie and a twisty road and i bet most people would change there minds about them being "shit"

Fords are good but reality is that there are now better more capable cars out there for less money

A post that makes sense!

I think the problem is most people never drive their car fast anywhere other than on the motorway or local straight. And that there is some sad sub-conscious or actual obvious competitiveness on the public road (such as scoobyslayers website for example) that they must beat whatever car that is out of their reach.

A big misconception is if an "expensive" car happens to have alot of horsepower, then it has the sole purpose of going fast as possible in the straight line regardless of it being a full loaded BMW, Mercedes, Bentley or what not.
Old 28-05-2006, 03:18 PM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice work dusting the m3, I've dusted a few ctr's in my time
Old 28-05-2006, 04:55 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Anh
Originally Posted by Alps Pacino

A post that makes sense!

I think the problem is most people never drive their car fast anywhere other than on the motorway or local straight. And that there is some sad sub-conscious or actual obvious competitiveness on the public road (such as scoobyslayers website for example) that they must beat whatever car that is out of their reach.

A big misconception is if an "expensive" car happens to have alot of horsepower, then it has the sole purpose of going fast as possible in the straight line regardless of it being a full loaded BMW, Mercedes, Bentley or what not.
What is the m3 csl for then? Its sole purpose is to go fast. What does the M stand for in m3. Surely not motorsport!!! Owning a 1994 M3 does not make you better than a chavnut, wayne rooney supporting person as you put it. Its only a Ł4500-Ł6000 car for christ sake

Now if you owned an e46 Ł30000+ model we could understand your snob attitude.
Old 28-05-2006, 04:56 PM
Drunken Master
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

What I failt to see is why people that own old 10k or below M3's are comi ng on here sticking up for m3's and saying that FRS's suck.

At then end of the day you own some 10 year old M3 not a new e46 M3. So don't come on a ford site and slag some poor bloke for winning a little race because the m3 driver was waving at him acting like a tosser anyway.
Old 28-05-2006, 05:07 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Drunken Master
What I failt to see is why people that own old 10k or below M3's are comi ng on here sticking up for m3's and saying that FRS's suck.

At then end of the day you own some 10 year old M3 not a new e46 M3. So don't come on a ford site and slag some poor bloke for winning a little race because the m3 driver was waving at him acting like a tosser anyway.
Old 28-05-2006, 05:24 PM
89xr2
Brap!

still going on then 'ey
Old 28-05-2006, 06:45 PM
plynchy
PassionFord Post Troll

Anh Can you contradict yourself any more?? First off you say motorway racing is boring, the M3 is all about balance handling blah blah blah, then I give you two lap times from a track that requires the qualities you find so important, and there is 0.4 secs difference, suddenly this is irrelevant in your eyes.

If you owned an E46 i'd see where your coming from, but you don't, so what the fuck are you defending them for??

Don't presume to know "my type" either pal, i'm a 33 year old Dad, not some fucking chavvy yoof, so don't fucking label me with your stereotypical Ford driving tag.
I know all about quality motors, having had a 99 Boxster prior to the FRS, so stop looking down your nose at people and talking out of your arse.

I've already stated on this thread, I didn't set out to start a M3 vs. FRS bitchfight, not in the slightest, just wanted to share a story with some like minded Ford nuts, which you obviously are not. So fuck off onto a forum where you fit in.

Said all I want to about this now. Some people...
Old 28-05-2006, 06:56 PM
Ad4m RST
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 28-05-2006, 09:51 PM
Mr Brannen
PassionFord Post Whore!!

This one on its fourth page eh, lets put this one to bed lads, both quality motors ....end of.....both fast as fook....end of......both good looking end of......
Old 28-05-2006, 10:04 PM
ESCYSCOTT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I've got my 400 bhp escos and an E46 M3 and the escos would lash the M3 but I know which one I prefer driving and its not the Ford

I hate to say this but i've owned fookin shit loads of RS's, 3 x XR2's, 2 x S1's, 6 x S2's, saff cos, 3dr cos, escos, and a load of orion ghia, escort ghia's etc in the early years and I have FORD blood in my veins but FUCK ME my M3 is the dogs danglies!!! such a good car in std trim and the CSL is just my dream, my next car!!

I also love the FRS, I would love my lass to get one so I had more choice to drive
Old 30-05-2006, 05:08 PM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

BTTT for mr brannen

Hey Im not backing down to this one at all, make it a bit closer to home and Im there, I think you`ll agree that Santa Pod is a bit of a trek from Newcastle just to go and obliterate some daft XR2, come on lads a bit of common sense
wont be at santa pod this weekend anyway now due to work comitments!

FYI the cars fully stripped out (by fully i mean fully, no dash, heater, doorcards, sound deadening etc etc) runs a 1.8 zetec engine + lsd box and will be running 100bhp of nitrous as soon as i get a day off to fit and setup the kit.

if you cant be bothered to come all the way down to santa pod, find a run what ya brung somewhere closer to you and ill make the trip up to you be worth the trip if i get an m3 out of it
Old 30-05-2006, 05:28 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Anybody else got the clip of the M3 getting done by a Saxo VTS at Crail?
Old 30-05-2006, 05:33 PM
Mr Brannen
PassionFord Post Whore!!

BTTT for mr brannen

wont be at santa pod this weekend anyway now due to work comitments!

FYI the cars fully stripped out (by fully i mean fully, no dash, heater, doorcards, sound deadening etc etc) runs a 1.8 zetec engine + lsd box and will be running 100bhp of nitrous as soon as i get a day off to fit and setup the kit.

if you cant be bothered to come all the way down to santa pod, find a run what ya brung somewhere closer to you and ill make the trip up to you be worth the trip if i get an m3 out of it

Be careful mind , you take anything more out of that shitter and it will fall apart
When I consider the price of scrapping cars these days it would leave me seriously out of pocket cause if I won that thing in ya sig my girlfriend would have a fit if I brought it home outside our door so it would have to go in a crusher
Old 30-05-2006, 05:35 PM
Mr Brannen
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Oranoco
Anybody else got the clip of the M3 getting done by a Saxo VTS at Crail?

M3 Convertible SMG if its the clip Im thinking about, I had a go of one the other day and it couldnt pull me outta fuckin bed, nice pimp mobile mind but I wouldnt even race an XR2 in it
Old 30-05-2006, 05:39 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

In one breath the M3 is a complete legend and unbeatable by any poxy XR and then you say it couldn't pull you out of bed Make your mind up fella.

http://media.putfile.com/saxo_vs_m3
Old 30-05-2006, 06:43 PM
bretts3dr

[quote="petermintrst"]lol after looking at the last few posts i now know i need 200bhp to equal a 197bhp type r, but if i buy a 115bhp xr2 i can nearly stay with m3s

m8 if you think you can keep up with an m3 in a 115bhp fiesta you gotta stop taking drugs i've got an e36 m3 as well as my 395bhp cossie and although the cossie wipes the floor with there arent many cars that will stay with it, unless they are heavily modified, especially at high speeds just ask my m8 who's got a wr1 scooby and he was doing 160mph the other week and i came past him
Old 30-05-2006, 07:15 PM
petermintrst
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

bretts3dr

aimed at me?

i was taking the p*** as i'd just read extremely conflicting and crap info
Old 30-05-2006, 07:20 PM
bretts3dr

no worries chap i was laughing at half the replies anyway :top
any one thats wants a go in a realistic car i'll up for some just give me a shout and not a 500bhp cossie either as i said my 3 dr WHOOPS the m3
Old 30-05-2006, 07:22 PM
Mr Brannen
PassionFord Post Whore!!

In one breath the M3 is a complete legend and unbeatable by any poxy XR and then you say it couldn't pull you out of bed Make your mind up fella.

Two different cars Oranoco you twat, u know what I meant , I think youre just trying to provoke peoples reactions now so fook of
I still have the same stance on this as I did when it started, I can understand the Focus RS and where Plynchy is coming from, but RST and XR2`s can just piss off cause they are simply not quick enough .
Old 30-05-2006, 07:24 PM
Mr Brannen
PassionFord Post Whore!!

And if thats what that saxo did to a M3, imagine what it would do you your RST
Old 30-05-2006, 07:28 PM
bretts3dr

nice one mr brannen
i am in the middle of this one but some of the stuff ppl are coming out with just aint write the m3 is a fooking quick as a standard for although some of the 1000bhp ones that are about with turbo conversion!!!!!
Old 30-05-2006, 07:29 PM
petermintrst
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Two different cars Oranoco you twat, u know what I meant , I think youre just trying to provoke peoples reactions now so fook of
I still have the same stance on this as I did when it started, I can understand the Focus RS and where Plynchy is coming from, but RST and XR2`s can just piss off cause they are simply not quick enough .
i'd have to agree there, xr2s for defo and rsts are leagues bellow an m3 in terms of performance and general er um carness. i mean, whats an m3? 3.3 litre. and the rst & xr2s are 1600s? im sure the 300bhp rsts could get close from about 30+ but how many genuine 300bhp rsts are around?

there may even be some that are quicker but in the real world........
Old 30-05-2006, 07:36 PM
Mr Brannen
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by bretts3dr
nice one mr brannen
i am in the middle of this one but some of the stuff ppl are coming out with just aint write the m3 is a fooking quick as a standard for although some of the 1000bhp ones that are about with turbo conversion!!!!!

Imagine the money theyve spent on them daft XR2`s n that , add it all up and they could have probably bought a fookin E46 M

Quick Reply: Had to laugh! my FRS vs. M3.