General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Interesting discussion: please contribute...

Search this Thread

Old 17-05-2006, 05:20 PM
Tas662
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

personally i expect i am one of the younger of da people on her anf i have no problem with the word as there arent many people who dont use it from time to time
Old 17-05-2006, 05:28 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

not bothered either way with words that are on here,very rarely use them anyway and it does not offend me at all.

think it needs a poll though.
Old 17-05-2006, 06:11 PM
Huggy Bear
Banned

not bothered but ban davescos and 99% of the problems with this C word will disapear
Old 17-05-2006, 06:24 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't think it's offensive at all, i think it should be unbanned, just making it a more difficult job for the mods to be chasing up every person that says that word
Old 17-05-2006, 06:30 PM
Turbo lag
Advanced PassionFord User

I think it is a bit crude but most youngsters swear every other word, but thats the way of the world lately

Dave.
Old 17-05-2006, 07:10 PM
TemptRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I think the word c*nt should be unbanned, i don't find it offensive in any way at all. At the end of the day it's just a word, but if someone were to call it to my face well that's a different matter.

Old 17-05-2006, 07:18 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Re: Interesting discussion: please contribute...

1) Whats the problem?
Why cant you type a message without using that word?

To be honest I don't use the word that much anyway. Using it too often makes it just another word and it's effect is lessened when used in the right place.

2) Most websites you use ban ALL swear words. Would you rather we ban them all so we have a little more conformity, surely that would save you feeling that banning just the one word was over the top.

Swearing is a method of expression and if used appropriately can hammer your point home. Pointless ranting using F***ing this and C***ing that does nobody any favours and just seems a little pointless.

3) Would you prefer that we unbanned it?

Wouldn't be fussed either way. I don't find it overly offensive but I know many ladies find it really quite derogatory. I browse PF at work though and the language content has been noted by our IT dept and although they are happy for me to continue to use the site over lunch if I post such language I will be for the high jump
Old 17-05-2006, 07:37 PM
The Rapid 1

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments

Changed?
Its ALWAYS been banned.. we are talking YEARS mate.. years!
Err no it aint

It was changed to appease a few female users way back

As I said then and say again now, woman are quite happy to call a bloke a cock or similar but dont like the C word

Well aint read all of the replies but even just a couple on this page are from women who say they dont mind it

Also TBH people always use "youngsters" as another reason why not to have it , now if a youngster is capable of reading it and UNDERSTANDING what it means what have you achieved by banning it, more likely he/she will go asking what a spud@whatever is meant to mean. I have heard my (then) six yr old son use certain words while out playing in the street, and god damn sure he dont actually know what they mean but DOES know when he wants to use them , like for example when I nearly smashed him in the head with a ball, he ducked and stood up and said "fucking hell you nearly took my head off", not right I know, BUT it was in a situation, "SHOCK" and he just "EXPRESSED" himself. Since that day we have an understanding that he can swear at certain times arround me in certain circumstances without repurcussion, he knows the lines and when he most certainly dont, better to be in control than pretend it dont happen

Should it be unbanned YEP for one if there isnt such a stigma arround it and not big and clever to "TRY" and use it it will loose its "NOVELTY" value, but under certain circumstances it CAN help express what people are feeling or think.

If certain people dont like it then they can judge for themselves what they then think of a certain person, where as if people are being told what to right then it harder to judge individuals and can give false impressions.

As Dave has proven (well at least on the first page a few times ) there are worse things that can be said, and not only that but how you build the whole sentence.

NOT being Homophobic etc but maybe our homosexual users dont like the term "cock sucker" as to use that in an offencive nature is really just insulting what they may well practice and enjoy.

And TBH this thread really useless NOT without answering all questions but without a poll.

And besides all else it has gotten like being at school, but instead of getting a detention for being naughty we get a 24 hr ban, , whoopie wow, to some that may be the end of the world but in reality just making the mods job harder with it now being such an important piece of PF life that people are playing games to try and push the limits, just be done with it and unban all words and let people express themselves how ever they want, then mods can spend more time doing real mod work like maybe moving topics to the right forums, ie half the shite in GD to MUPPET room, as what was said would happen in THE big GD room vote

Steve
Old 17-05-2006, 07:47 PM
SPADGE
15K+ Super Poster!!

Well said Steve
Old 17-05-2006, 07:51 PM
The Rapid 1

Originally Posted by SPADGE
Well said Steve
Why thank you sir

Just the way I see things

Steve
Old 17-05-2006, 09:16 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by The Rapid 1

Changed?
Err no it aint

It WAS over 2 years ago Steve.. sorry but..

And TBH this thread really useless NOT without answering all questions but without a poll.

And there IS a Poll...
Old 17-05-2006, 09:34 PM
EIL132
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Funny how women hate the one thing we like
Old 17-05-2006, 11:08 PM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

All these people who say they dont find it offensive at all...

Do they use it in front of their mamas ?

Hmmmm dont think so.

Steve you must be one of those liberal parents every one blames the youth of today for....

If I'd said that to my dad at 6 or even 16 he would have took the side of my face off...... and I bet theres a lot of people on this forum who's parents would have done the same.

Perhaps this is just a sign of the times...

But I still think people should be able to hold a conversation without having to use words like cnut....

You wouldnt do it in a meeting at work...

Boss: 'Jenkins what do you attribute last months poor sales figures to ?'

Worker: 'Well you old cnut I think the global economic climate is being affected by those damn chinese cnuts'
Old 17-05-2006, 11:09 PM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by EIL132
Funny how women hate the one thing we like
What ? Dave Escos ? I know... women think he's a right cnut
Old 17-05-2006, 11:46 PM
Sean_RS

I think 'TWAT' is more offensive!!!
Old 17-05-2006, 11:59 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by neilm
Originally Posted by vroooom ptssssh
It's not banned in public, so why ban on a public forum because a minority think it is a naughty word

Try standing in public shouting 'cvnt' for half an hour and see how many think its a 'naughty word'....

Some cvnt will probably tell you to shut the furk up......

Now why would ANYONE do that unless, deranged very drunk. . . or seriously pissed off
Old 18-05-2006, 01:15 AM
arkley
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Has anyone managed to get a real answer out of anyone explaining as to why they don't like it/find it 'offensive'??
Old 18-05-2006, 02:06 AM
Steve200+
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Worker: 'Well you old cnut I think the global economic climate is being affected by those damn chinese cnuts'
My fucking sides

Neil, Thankyou, sincerely, that's awesome
Old 18-05-2006, 04:52 AM
Cam
PassionFord Post Whore!!

My Questions:

1) Whats the problem?
Why cant you type a message without using that word?
As I understand it a handful of female PFers objected to its use SO why cant they have the option of a personal swear filter in their profile where they can choose to censor certain or all profanity and by default any new members have their swear filter enabled?

2) Most websites you use ban ALL swear words. Would you rather we ban them all so we have a little more conformity, surely that would save you feeling that banning just the one word was over the top.
I am anticensorship in any form.

3) Would you prefer that we unbanned it?
ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY CAPTAIN STU [/code]
Old 18-05-2006, 06:07 AM
The Rapid 1

Originally Posted by The Rapid 1

Changed?
Err no it aint

It WAS over 2 years ago Steve.. sorry but..

And there IS a Poll...

Cap 1 :- Well years aint ALWAYS and I do remember when it wernt, years or not and it was your goodself that capitolised ALWAYS

Cap 2 :- show me where the Poll is and I'll gladly accept this cap , thought this was an "interesting discussion"

I'll happily accept my caps where appropriate

Steve you must be one of those liberal parents every one blames the youth of today for....

If I'd said that to my dad at 6 or even 16 he would have took the side of my face off...... and I bet theres a lot of people on this forum who's parents would have done the same.

Perhaps this is just a sign of the times...

But I still think people should be able to hold a conversation without having to use words like cnut....

You wouldnt do it in a meeting at work...

TBH Neil im for from liberal or soft, and believe me my boy had a slap or two in the past and will probs have a few more in the years to come (and I mean a disiplinary slap not a beating, but even that gonna be frowned upon by some of todays pc groups , but in respect of what you are saying I will say it never did me any harm, I do believe all todays do gooders that wont smack there kids ARE the problem with todays society, or the lack of discipline at school, rulers slippers cane etc, hell poor teachers even allowed to defend themselves ), but as far as the occasional swearing goes, that dont make him a bad kid he is far from that (how many eight year olds you know that would hoover dust cut the grass clean the pond always wash his hands before eating helps with washing up always says please and thank you, always got a good school report along the lines of always tries his hardest always the first to help others etc altho he is accademicly poor and behind everybody else in his class with his reading and writting and has to have private lessons after school, seriously he has a heart of gold, and that aint just me saying that other people always comment on his manners and behaviour ) so basically I try to not GLORIFY the swearing thing, when he is with me there is nothing clever or "bad" about swearing, altho obviously as said he isnt allowed to just foul mouth in every sentence just in certain circumstances I "will" overlook it shall we say
No matter where you go in this day and age it is the "norm" be it right or wrong, we can't "defend" ourselves from swearing in general life so what is the point of trying to here, and anyone that thinks their sons or daughters dont read/hear these words "everywhere" else in their lives is fooling themselves
These females or blokes that want it banned from here, do they not frequent pubs clubs or go to car meets (walk down the pits at Santa Pod ) and yes work or there kids playgrounds at break times, because I will guarantee they will hear every swear word imaginable (probs some I dont even know )

As far as swearing at work, yep I do, that IS one of the places that does annoy me enough to make me "foul mouthed" and yes often find myself calling people a useless cnut, fucking tosser, waste of space spunk stain etc etc, read my posts on here I dont think im that bad here TBH, but that doesnt mean I like having the freedom taken away from me, but work, spose it because everyone arround me is doing it, again it just becomes the norm , but sort of switch off when come away from it, but having said that you may guess I dont wear a shirt and tie and work in an office, different standards different places.

Basically I am anti any form of censorship, and feel I have the ultimate choice to see and say what I want, like tv no one else in charge of the remote other than me, at work if anyone says something i dont like I would just walk away, etc, so if somebody dont like what I have said/done I wouldnt force them to listen watch do etc

Basically to round up just feel it all out of proporstion for just one word, does it really need all this , just unban it and be done with it, more people have passed comment this way and would just save a load of agro for people trying to do other jobs here FOR US

If a FEW people out of the thousands dont like it let them walk, rather than causing all this grief and problems banning it is causing, can say as a forum we tried it and was more trouble than it was worth, which I generally believe it has now become.

Anyway bed time

Steve
Old 18-05-2006, 06:08 AM
Eagle
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve200+
Originally Posted by Steve200+
Ban someone for saying it, or don't. Don't just 'ignore' the occasional one because it's so-and-such-a-body's mate, or 'he's just having a laugh, isn't he funny'.
Fair comment Steve, but your at least the 100th person to say that and NOT be able to give an example... wanna change that statistic?
: C*nt.
: Yes, we get it! You're a fat c-unt. would be a ban
: And he says Cun.t a lot would be a ban
: thick c000nt!!
: C**T!!!
: c*nt then
the way i read it is that if all 4 letters are readable then that is what causes a ban...
now on the search for these quotes...

unfortunatly its not easy to read every single post that is made on here .. its been hard enough sorting out other silly childish things..
Old 18-05-2006, 06:11 AM
The Rapid 1

Edited cos it didnt lol
Old 18-05-2006, 06:57 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Steve... il reverse one of the caps...

STU <---------

The vote, as stated somewhere on this very topic, is in the ladies room and a final decision will be made sometime today.
Old 18-05-2006, 03:33 PM
The Rapid 1

Steve... il reverse one of the caps...

Stu <---------

The vote, as stated somewhere on this very topic, is in the ladies room and a final decision will be made sometime today.

Cap 1 :- most honurable sir
Cap 2:- ok so I guess you cant exactly give me a link

BUT how come it only the women that get the vote they are NOT the only users on this site, why should they be allowed to SOLELY choose something that is going to affect everybody, jesus if that was real life you would never be allowed to get away with that, SEXISM or what , talk about equal rights, I thought I could leave all things like sexism, racialism etc at work

As the great GD poll it was a MAJORITY of USERS that were allowed to make the decission, gotta say this really sucks, as in of there are more users male or female that dont mind then so be it, but limiting, your voting audience is just like rigging the vote if you ask me.

Anyway, didnt stop me comming here b4 nor did the awfull GD vote so lets see.

Steve
Old 18-05-2006, 03:36 PM
SPADGE
15K+ Super Poster!!

Can we please have a vote in the mens room ref the word HUN please as that deeply troubles me
Old 18-05-2006, 03:37 PM
_DAN_
Yoon

Can't be arsed to read aal of this but why has davescos been banned?
Old 18-05-2006, 05:10 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

cant even be bothered reading this, so petty over a word, if its banned it doesnt get used, if it isnt do what you want with it, please get a life people.
Old 18-05-2006, 06:15 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Word unbanned. End of.
Old 18-05-2006, 06:22 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

https://passionford.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2853766
Old 18-05-2006, 06:24 PM
Adrian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Batfink
Can't be arsed to read aal of this but why has davescos been banned?
Multiple usernames.