General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Driving on motorways...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006 | 05:13 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Can I ask a simple question why do you people have cars as your Hobby, if its so horrendous & stressfull. I hear this every morning when I reach the office, did you see that idiot or this/that bad driving, ive comuted for 40 years & seem to miss it all. Favourite prog on the radio, outside lane & miss everything on the way, done me for 40years. Do you really worry about other peoples diving, surely not. .
Old 03-05-2006 | 06:01 PM
89xr2
Brap!

Originally Posted by MADRod
Can I ask a simple question why do you people have cars as your Hobby, if its so horrendous & stressfull. I hear this every morning when I reach the office, did you see that idiot or this/that bad driving, ive comuted for 40 years & seem to miss it all. Favourite prog on the radio, outside lane & miss everything on the way, done me for 40years. Do you really worry about other peoples diving, surely not. .
Yes, I spend my whole time driving my car second guessing the muppets on the road around me. It's what stops me from crashing
Old 03-05-2006 | 06:13 PM
kennyA
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Car tax in Germany.
Audi A6 = 350 Euro per year.

I certainly would not stay in the outside lane over here, no matter how fast you are travelling there will always be someone want to pass you.

140kmh is probably the inside lane here. The outside lane is really ONLY for overtaking, sometimes no limit. Beware of very fast Mecs and BMWs.

The police here are starting to clamp down on people tailgating, it happens from 110kmh to 250kmh.

people in the UK are paranoid at being 'cut up'??? by drivers pulling out in front of them. If there is a 10yd space in front of you expect that the car sitting at the junction is going to use it. Its normall here, you really have to make way for him. He will make way for you the next time.

often if there is a long queue of traffic, the cars pulling out of side roads don't wait for a break in the traffic. They pull out and drive parallel to you and expect someone to create a space, excellent.

What do we all expect, the drivers to sit all day waiting for gaps in traffic?

I like driving Dresden, they even switch off the majority of traffic lights at night, its up to the drivers to proceed carefully, it works, you slow down to let others complete whatever manoever they are doing.

PS. These things work for the majority of drivers, some still toot horns and expect the road in front is theirs, they are stupid, the road is not theirs.
Old 03-05-2006 | 06:40 PM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Jakub,

I know what you mean about overtaking as fast a possible, my point is that driving a powerful car is not always about driving fast, it's also about driving sensible (as it is in a not so powerful car).

Running close behind someone at 100mph+ is for the race track, not for the road. If I had to brake sharply for any reason, the person behind me simply has NO chance of stopping in time, thereby creating a much bigger accident which may otherwise have been avoided.

I don't sit on people's bumpers, no matter what speed they are doing in whichever lane, it's not safe and not clever imo.

Maybe we'll have to agree to disagree...

Rod, love driving mate, but more so in France than in the UK Despite the tailgaters
Old 03-05-2006 | 06:53 PM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

frog I agree with you about beeing too close to someone, I never do that and I always advice against it. I was talking about the reason why they do it - not beeing used to beeing held on motorway. Here we would just flash light at you, they tailgate there... probably more stupid thing to do.