General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

FAO All September ringers

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 08:00 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAO All September ringers

Just been doing some ringing around and the RAC will cover the ring and don't exclude it like the AA do. It looked to be about £76 if you're not already a member.

Does anyone know of any cheaper?

Paul
Old 03-08-2004, 08:16 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the research, now post up the number .
Old 03-08-2004, 08:32 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

http://www.rac.co.uk/breakdowncover/european/

0800 55 00 55

you booked the crossing yet?
Old 03-08-2004, 09:11 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

not sure how that works out though. there are official tow trucks to take you off the circuit immediately. you can't just wait until your appointed one turns up. you have to take theirs and it will be taken away immediately. i don't know how you then get the RAC to pay for it, because i think you'll have to pay by cash or credit card on the spot. and from what i remember of it when i first moved over here and had an accident there, i didn't speak much german and the truck driver spoke even less english.

if i was going to be around, i'd be able to help out, but i'll be in norway for the gatebil weekend.

have a good trip though, and don't worry too much about breaking down/crashing on the 'ring. if it's your first time, or you're relatively new to it (well all the time really), just a word of advice -

take it steady and do not drive faster than you can see around the corner until you know the layout. there are a couple of corners that tighten up on you - i'll leave you to find them

also, be aware that you could come around a corner at 100mph or whatever, and there could be a tourist bus doing about 20 up the hill

and watch out for bikers please. they will be slower than you in the corner, but faster in and out which is a real pain. a lot of them are mental idiots that will go around the outside of you (not clever if you slide), but you really won't feel good if you knock one off. so although often they are riding like a twat, please try not to hit them. this is the biggest cause of accidents on the 'ring, and can close it for a while which is shit for everyone.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:15 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

CheeRS Dude, I suppose the AA t&c's could mean they won't pick you up specifically at the track itself but it could also mean that they won't pick you up from the immediate area of the ring, who knows, but I'm not going to risk it though

As its first time, we are treating it definately as a road trip and will not be going mad on track. I want us and the car to get back in one piece, and so does the wife!. Will leave caning it to the UK circuits
Old 03-08-2004, 09:17 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

FRS,
I think you must have swallowed a stupid pill , how do you then get your car back to England AFTER the above has happened - that is why the RAC cover is taken out, not for the bit you mention .

The AA will not recover a car within a certain radius of the Ring.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:22 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
there are official tow trucks to take you off the circuit immediately.
Not if you're lucky and your car still runs allowing you to exit the circuit and the car park at light speed

Trending Topics

Old 03-08-2004, 09:26 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Old 03-08-2004, 09:28 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

good point mike. didn't think of that, cos i don't live on the monkey island anymore