General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Buying from states....charges??

Search this Thread

Old 14-04-2006, 10:29 PM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Buying from states....charges??

Hi peeps...say if i wanted to buy something from the states...what are the charges that i will have ontop of the website advertised price?

also, say if they invoice me the full amount (will be ALOT!) will i DEF have to pay tax on it?

what are the ways around it? can someone send it over here as a gift if i get someone from states to buy it?

thanx for any input

bassboy
Old 14-04-2006, 11:19 PM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the value is more than £18 then it is liable for tax.

As well as the tax to be paid there is a courier charge and handling fee (usually around £10 to £20 extra on top too)

Shipping items as gifts or sample merchandise etc when they are not usually true means the sender could de-value the parcel on the customs decleration forms, this unfortunatly de-values any insurance claim should it get damaged or lost (which happens quite often).

If its checked by customs and found to be de-valued they will put their own value on it and charge you the extra anyway plus further fees plus possibly threaten you with tax evasion charges and the penalty for that is a spell inside.

Usually by the time you have added the vat, and paid the extra charges you will still be very slightly cheaper than UK prices, which is fine until something goes wrong of fails under warranty and you have to return it.
Old 15-04-2006, 07:15 AM
Rene
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well a few months ago i ordered some boxing gloves and the shipping was about half the price of the gloves

same with the tax