General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Big power Performance Ford feature rst's...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 06:40 PM
turbotrev
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Big power Performance Ford feature rst's...

First and foremost this is not a dig but something that has a tendancy to annoy me from time to time.

Over the past few years or so Performance Ford have featured an array of rst's which are claimed to have "big power" or "one to watch out for" but from what I can see most of them either attend places/meets/shows etc but just sit there looking pretty, when are timed or tested etc either produce a crap times/figures, break down and/or give excuses for this or are sometimes never to be seen again.

Take Tom Scarletts S1 for example, now dont get me wrong here cause its a lovely car with a pukka spec and im sure he's a top bloke but Ive never heard or seen it since its feature in which they said they were gonna time it then but now it appears its going to be featured again with an even bigger spec?

Other cars that I can also think of include Dan Arrowsmith (white S2), Graham Spencer (white S2), Lewis's (black S2) Which was timed eventually in a grudge match and numerous other rsts of which I cant remember the owners names.

Just wondered why there always bigged up so much but nothing ever comes from it?

Sorry for a bit of a long winded rant

Cheers

Paul
Old 07-04-2006, 07:01 PM
RichardC
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and besides, most FF/PF featured cars usually are sold immediately after thier feature, blow up or are crashed.

I think I got that about right?
Old 07-04-2006, 07:10 PM
se mk3 cabbie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

[quote="RichardC"]and besides, most FF/PF featured cars usually are sold immediately after thier feature, blow up or are crashed.
yeah mate very true, blew mine up at shoot, other thing is your cars paintwork gets fucked, well at least from my experience anyway, me and 2 mates had ours featured in this months grudge match, two of the cars had few week old paint jobs, after racing round brunters doing times cars came back stone chipped to fuck and had to go back to be sprayed again
Old 07-04-2006, 07:18 PM
gus
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

well i know toms and mine will be back soon (i hope) as have both have been compltly rebuilt for the track

i will not be very good at sprinting but will give it a go when done
Old 07-04-2006, 07:22 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

toms was not finished on the last feature so he was not realy happy with it,,

its been off the road since having the spec changed and shell strenghtened & is now exactly as he wants it

thats the reason why you havent seen it since nothing to do with being broken / scared to time it

hope that clears that particular cars reason up
Old 07-04-2006, 07:35 PM
nigel b
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

i think its funny when they feature what they call a big spec car only for the feature to say they are still running it in,why not wait till after its run in and then time it
Old 07-04-2006, 07:40 PM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen toms car recently and it will be a great car when finished. The power he is hoping for from just 1600cc will be quite an achievment.

It also has a very smart dash
Old 07-04-2006, 07:47 PM
gus
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

doug you would say that thou

they get featured before completly finished as usually the mags are screaming out for them
Old 07-04-2006, 08:13 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

i understand the being scared off damaging it bit,but why bother building something big power if your not going to use it for what its intended? its a car not an ornament.mine has just went back in today for a rebuild after only 4200 miles since the last one,will i learn my lesson and take it easy?...will i fcuk
Old 07-04-2006, 08:27 PM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Sorry, but poetic licence is part of being a journalist these days is it not ?
Old 08-04-2006, 08:12 AM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

mine will be/is big spec and i intend to use it for what i built it for ,,,,

possibly @ brunters begging of may for timing if things go to plan
Old 08-04-2006, 08:46 AM
Brasso

RST's are shite sprint cars IMO!! Theres only been a few that really stand out. Paul R's old fezz, Paul J, Sunny, Ollie, Tim etc..... But plenty of big power cars that only pull out similar times to lightly breathed on RST's.

There qick cars on the move but standing starts are wank. I allways look at 1/4 terminal times and 0 -100's for comparrison of performance. As long as the owners enjoy em tho.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:03 AM
pau1rs

Graham Spencer (white S2)
well i can tell you grahams car is still going,, even if he did take out 5 th gear again on the way to the passion ford meet on wednesday...

as to grahams car.. sure he has issues with the correct injectors for the management, which is now sorted...

believe at the moment its around 227bhp (approx) but leaves my mates 210 bhp proven standing now...

that zetec pulls so well...

bring on a few more psi.. and a cts stage 2+
Old 08-04-2006, 09:40 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is what I always said about the 'Legendary' SOY. Legendary for what? Being a nice looking RST, with an awesome engine spec, but what else?

Mine is a car that has been developed on a tight budget and with me being historically shit at launching, I have focussed on Top Speed. Everything on my car is bought and paid for by me and the car has achieved beyond what I ever expected.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:03 AM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

can agree with the first post..

really seems a bit pointless getting a car featured when you have to take it easy all day cos its not mapped yet...

they are all claiming big power but funy how you never ever see most of the cars again, at shows, tracks or rolling road days...

like i always said, getting a genuine 400 hp in a cossie is alot harder than people think.

same goes for 250 in a S2.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:09 AM
Paddy
Legend

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nigel b
i think its funny when they feature what they call a big spec car only for the feature to say they are still running it in,why not wait till after its run in and then time it
You wouldn't be saying that because you're currently running in your own soon to be feature car are you
Old 08-04-2006, 11:37 AM
turbotrev

Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts

Some very good replys there chaps. Sounds like most of you tend to think the same as me then.

Like I said it wasn't meant to be a dig at anyone. I just used Tom and his car as an example cause I'd just seen it to be featured in PF again when flicking through the latest issue.

Lets hopefully see some of these and others machines out and about at various events this summer.

As someone mentioned already as long as the owners enjoy them then thats what counts! I just dont understand all the hype they tend to build up....

Cheers

Paul
Old 08-04-2006, 11:40 AM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
This is what I always said about the 'Legendary' SOY. Legendary for what? Being a nice looking RST, with an awesome engine spec, but what else?

Mine is a car that has been developed on a tight budget and with me being historically shit at launching, I have focussed on Top Speed. Everything on my car is bought and paid for by me and the car has achieved beyond what I ever expected.
Couldn't agree moe.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:41 AM
CliffRS4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The hype probably has something to do with people realising how much money goes into some of these cars
Old 08-04-2006, 12:00 PM
Rippers
Monte Geek

Personally I think the problem is people/magazines want an alround show car. When I had my FRST I only had one aim and that was a 12sec Quarter so I had to sacrifice the bling to get it..
I think too many of the owners of these big power RST's aren't dedicated enough to the performance side of their car and can't understand why people spend so much without doing the basics first..
They fit these huge spec engine's but then have 17'/18" wheels with cheap tyres, boot full of Ice and sound deadening, full interiors and every s/s shiney item availble... Or its a case of having a huge spec engine with no money spend on traction aid's..
You either want one of the other IMO I only wanted sprints so my efforts where soley concenrated on it.

I learnt from my Fiesta good sprint times only come from the right power to weight ratio and traction
Old 08-04-2006, 12:07 PM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Originally Posted by Paul Ripley
Personally I think the problem is people/magazines want an alround show car. When I had my FRST I only had one aim and that was a 12sec Quarter so I had to sacrifice the bling to get it..
I think too many of the owners of these big power RST's aren't dedicated enough to the performance side of their car and can't understand why people spend so much without doing the basics first..
They fit these huge spec engine's but then have 17'/18" wheels with cheap tyres, boot full of Ice and sound deadening, full interiors and every s/s shiney item availble... Or its a case of having a huge spec engine with no money spend on traction aid's..
You either want one of the other IMO I only wanted sprints so my efforts where soley concenrated on it.

I learnt from my Fiesta good sprint times only come from the right power to weight ratio and traction
But these magazines (FF / PF) seem to want all this in a car, so that's what the marketplace to a certain degree dictates - unfortunately and regretably.

I'm not a fan of the Ford magazines I have to say, precisely for this reason. Say what they like about the Jap mags, at least they aren't interested in how big your stereo is or how 'phat' (please......... ) your blingin' rims are.............
Old 08-04-2006, 01:37 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

see all i want is a fast road car thats nice to drive, which is what i've got. tempting to take it to elvington, but i'll only end up breaking something like the gearbox and then i'd be screwed.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:29 PM
cpt scarlett
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

hi guys i took the car off the road last time because i was not happy with it . the b***ard snapped the engine mounts twice putting the turbo through the rad !!both times attempting to get some times down after that happened had to have a serious re think Have done alot of development in the last year or so should be ok this time.thanks Tom.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:54 PM
Tim
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have and always will drive my car hard as i can because its what it was built for,track is mint for me sprints and stuff i'll have a bash and i always want to be fastest if that means it breaks so be it lol

TBH its been very reliable the old engines still going but is really over due to come out tbh,but it may supprise a few at the pod at central day.

Be nice to run a 12. we will see.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:05 AM
XR-RS
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Ive seen this car mentioned a lot of times and people praising it but never really knew why, i always thought it must have done some amazing times as i thought the styling of it was horrible no offence to the ex owner of it
Old 09-04-2006, 08:53 AM
CliffRS4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

350+ to do 170 eh Rudey
I'm not sure my balls are that big
Old 09-04-2006, 08:59 AM
CliffRS4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

With balls that big it'd ruin my power to weight ratio
Old 09-04-2006, 09:10 AM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

IMO, SOY's car went wrong when he put the exhaust through the tailgate Mind you, he did spend a shit load of money on it.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:11 AM
Sexy-RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by The Usual Suspect
Originally Posted by XR-RS

Ive seen this car mentioned a lot of times and people praising it but never really knew why, i always thought it must have done some amazing times as i thought the styling of it was horrible no offence to the ex owner of it
i think with soy it was his overall contribution to the scene over the years that car had been many differnt specs and featured lots of times deffo a top show car i personally herd it was dangerously quik, christian for you to say your cars built on a tight budget is abit unbeleivable you must be 10k+ deep on yours, the power soy had it wouldve passed 170 your lucky he gave up im told 350bhp is needed fo 170 your power and speed recorded would seem to back that up soy was + 350
Yep I heard the same Grove said its the only s2 that scared them mapping it it was evil to drive The engine is now in a series 1 that was at grove not to long ago.

I may bufty my car but i use and abuse it, it spends all day on the strip in the summer. But its not huge power anyway still surpises a few tho a tony
Old 09-04-2006, 09:30 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Originally Posted by The Usual Suspect
Originally Posted by XR-RS

i think with soy it was his overall contribution to the scene over the years that car had been many differnt specs and featured lots of times deffo a top show car i personally herd it was dangerously quik, christian for you to say your cars built on a tight budget is abit unbeleivable you must be 10k+ deep on yours, the power soy had it wouldve passed 170 your lucky he gave up im told 350bhp is needed fo 170 your power and speed recorded would seem to back that up soy was + 350
£10k??!! I would say alot more than that. Maybe even £20k. However, when I refer to a tight budget, I mean that I have owned the car for 7 years, everything is paid for. I don't owe a penny on it. All the mods have been paid for by me and Ms B, and we have always had to consider cost. I have had to sell stuff, to buy new stuff. If I can't afford something I want, I wait for it. APT as a company haven't contributed financially to the car. OK, so Gary and I map it and I am eternally grateful to him for the time he has put into it, but we still have to buy the bits and learn the hard way from research and development.

Also, regarding the top speed thing. I do believe that you may be right with the 350bhp thing, however, I also believe that there are alot more aspects needed than just the raw power. I wouldn't have been worried about SOY beating my top speed, remember he had a full Zetec, so would have been more in Sunny/Paul J's territory and would have been out-classed there I'm afraid.

I think SOY's car was REALLY nice, I remember it from years ago at Silverstone, long before it was what we know it as now. It looked near enough standard, but was putting in fast sprint times then, it had a 'Caution emits flames' sticker on the bumper! However, these days respect in the RS scene needs alot more than that.

Thinking about it, if you need 350bhp to do 170mph, I am within an absolute sniff of that speed. 1.2mph. I think I can do it. Maybe this year.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:37 AM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think you can do it too m8
Old 09-04-2006, 09:41 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Originally Posted by DanRSturbo
I think you can do it too m8

You are one of the few people that has been past 160mph in my car!! Infact, I can't think who else has?

Quick Reply: Big power Performance Ford feature rst's...