General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

careers advice needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 30-03-2006, 03:59 PM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default careers advice needed!!

right, ive had my year out this year and feel like im properly wasting my life! decided to go back to college in september and carry on with aerospace engineering that i did for three years before i became a dosser.

basiclly i definatly want to go back and carry on with it, but i dont know to what level. the two course im trying to decide on are the JAR A licence, which is 1 year and the same stuff i did at college so itd be a walk in the park and id get good marks.

the other option is the JAR B licence, which is a two year course and more in depth than what ive done before, so would most likely struggle a bit! and being two years im worried id get bored and drop out or loose interest and fail!!

the difference between the two is the level of responsibily you carry when working, with an A licence, id be able to sign off my own work, whereas B licenced engineers inspect and sign off other peoples work. obviously theres a rather big difference in pay for the two!!

just wondering everyones opinions because i cant decide what to do! itd be worth getting my head down and sticking with the B licence but would be easier and a safer bet to do the A licence. and after all, once ive had a certain ammoutn of experience as an A licenced engineer, i can get the B licence with a few exams!

help
Old 30-03-2006, 04:03 PM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Generally I'd say you should study as much as you can in the early years since it's much easier. It gets a lot harder to get back to books and exams as the years pile on

Can't you do one year, get your A, then try for B if you still feel up for it and if it doesn't work out, get a job and try again later ?

There's nothing wrong with starting work at an early age with few qualifications, many are very happy in life (rich or not) that way, but, if you are even partially academically minded, I would stick with it as long as poss, rather than give up because there's easy money in work, etc...

The couple of years you have to give up now will pay off the future
Old 30-03-2006, 04:17 PM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

basiclly i can do the A licence, work for 2 years then go back and do the exams for the B licence if i think ill pass. but whether i would or not would be another question!

theres fors and againsts for the both of them, its just trying to weigh them up and make the right desision thats the problem!
Old 30-03-2006, 04:30 PM
Katie

Ohh heck, its another one! blimmin' aerospace engineers are spreading like rabbits, heh

From what I know from Phil's degree etc, the B modules are a lot of work, but if it's something you want to do its well worth the time and effort. At the end of the day, you have one life and if line maintenance is what you want to do, go for it.
Would you have to do the 5 years ex. before getting the B1 or what?
Old 30-03-2006, 04:32 PM
PhilM
PassionBMW.com Member

Depends what you want dude, studying for 2 years or one.

Personally I am doing the B1 and B2 as you know fulltime, but I'd also consider doing an A license, can then get out and work on the line (£25k where we are), and gain experience, and then do the extra bits to add B1 (or B2) onto your A license in your spare time.

Well worth aiming for the B1/2 though, currently rates are about £35-40k for B1 and B2 is 40-45k.

Having a license is only half of the thing, experience is required too, hence the A license to get employed and then do the extra modules for the B1 or 2 would stand you in good stead
Old 30-03-2006, 09:14 PM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

yeah its swings and roundabouts really isnt it! i know ill piss through the A licence after speaking to my mate steve whose doing it now. he was a lazy twat at college (like me) and ended up failing but is getting 100% on his exams and assignments....i passed so will have no hassle doign it.

need to speak to another mate of mine whose doing the B1 and see what he recons. hes the more dedicated one though, so if hes struggling i wont bother

whats the B2 like? ive heard its mentally hard but i got on alright with all the avionics stuff we did.