General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Cat A Write Off-Need advice BIG time...-SORTED - THANK YOU

Search this Thread

Old 28-03-2006, 08:45 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MattRS1600i
I used Hastings a few years back and my gf did, they were excellent on both price and covering my gf's claim
This is by no means a name and shame It could well be an admin error, as said above, let's wait and see before we jump to conclusions
Old 28-03-2006, 08:46 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by frog
Originally Posted by MattRS1600i
I used Hastings a few years back and my gf did, they were excellent on both price and covering my gf's claim
This is by no means a name and shame It could well be an admin error, as said above, let's wait and see before we jump to conclusions
I know dude, i was just pointing out that I found them extremely helpful I hope you get it sorted asap
Old 28-03-2006, 09:02 AM
tracktoy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony @ Greenlight
Originally Posted by frog
Now, the insurance company is claiming that the CAT A recording isn't their doing Mike is the first owner of the car, it couldn't be CAT A before he bought it, WTF is going on

If Mike's the first owner, unless its a DVLA error. Other than the Insurer im not sure how else the vehicle would be registerred as a write off?!!

What is the process for a car being recorded and hpi being aware of it ?
I would have thought the insurance company informs DVLA and job done
I'd get him to check the HPI, call them and ask HPI specifically who put the "category A" onto their register.

If it was your Insurer or an agent of theirs - call them immediately (as per my prior post on this thread).

If it was DVLA - call them and request they remove as is an error.

Let me know how you go.

Kind regards

Tony[/quote]

i could be wrong but dont the police have some bearing on which category a damaged car should be- i bought a car from a mate years ago that had been damaged but not claimed ie the insurance knew nothing about it and there was no payout- i went to part ex it at a dealer some time after and they told me it had been classed as a write off
Old 28-03-2006, 09:48 AM
RichardC
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

the police can catagorise a write off at the scene of an accident, but due to the 'looks worse than it is' factor, the DVLA dont usually go by thier findings and usually wont even release the police data as it is so prone to innacuracy.

my concern would be, has it actually been removed from all HPI type registers, having had banks make so many simple errors, I dont really have much faith in the insyrance comapnies ability to safely remove its classification.

My Dad died a year ago, and even after informing companies about it, we STILL get mail from some of those companies addressed to him. Its difficult to get data erased from so many 'interconnected' systems.

I say, refuse the car..

Rich
Old 28-03-2006, 10:46 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Originally Posted by RichardC
the police can catagorise a write off at the scene of an accident, but due to the 'looks worse than it is' factor, the DVLA dont usually go by thier findings and usually wont even release the police data as it is so prone to innacuracy.

my concern would be, has it actually been removed from all HPI type registers, having had banks make so many simple errors, I dont really have much faith in the insyrance comapnies ability to safely remove its classification.

I say, refuse the car..

Rich
My thoughts exactly, what if an assessor decided to write the car off, and the insurance company, for some strange reason decided to repair... It would be quite likely that the car would be unsafe

I have advised my friend to get hold of the original report, and he is having the car re-inspected in the next few days.

I wouldn't really want the car back to be honest, even with the CAT A removed, it would weigh on my conscience, either driving it, or selling it on simply because is has caught fire, and HAS been recorded, by mistake or not.
Old 28-03-2006, 10:53 AM
Damo V
PassionFord Post Whore!!

the

I say, refuse the car..

Rich
I would do the same, AGES ago TBH... I know of a sporty coupe Alfa which was about 18mths old and had a reasonable impact on NSF... it put a very slight crease in roof.

THe body shop had the car for month after month waiting for a shell to be sent over ... it went on and on... the guy had a ropey tiny punto courtesy car during this time and month by month his lovely Alfa was devaluing but he wasnt getting any use from it... I would have been spitting blood...

In the end the car got completed and days before he was due to collect it, he simply refused to accept... so the ins co paid him out and sent the freshly built motor to an auction!! So they had to pay the guy whos car it was AND the bodyshop!! But still swallowed it!!
Old 28-03-2006, 09:11 PM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Right, progress...

-An engineer looked at the car and declared it 100% fit for the road
-The CAT A appears to be a mistake, but no one wants to own up
-DVLA may pay a small compensation to my friend for the hassle
-They will be able to part-ex the car for the new one they were after

So, many, many, many, many thanks to you all for posting, I have been emailing snippets from posts on a regular basis and all the information has been used where possible. Without your input, this probably would still be an ongoing nightmare.

Thanks again, you're a top bunch of people
and a couple of these for good measure
Old 28-03-2006, 09:14 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

glad all is ok.
Old 28-03-2006, 09:18 PM
RichardC
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

result
Old 28-03-2006, 09:25 PM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

result
The power of PF hey
Old 28-03-2006, 09:42 PM
Zetec Andy
10K+ Poster!!