General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Anyone in the Army/navy/Marines etc etc???

Search this Thread

Old 26-07-2004, 03:31 PM
McPikie
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone in the Army/navy/Marines etc etc???

Whats it truly like?

is it like that bad Lads army with some posh speakin moron shouting at you all the time? Do you feel proud to be doing your country a service? Wots the pay like?

I just wanna know a few "truths" before having my eyes misted over at the local centre.

Old 26-07-2004, 03:38 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

are you not missing the big fookin downside to joining the services?

people might SHOOT you

ive got a few mates in the RAF working on planes n a few of em are pilots/navs

one of the navs has been shot at with a guided surface-air missile

he said it truly is THE most shitscary thing that has ever happened to him... knowing that theres a fookin misile chasing you...

imagine whats it like to be stuck in the middle of basra with AK47 fire reigning down on your foxhole!

i like my office job... there's no bullets involved
Old 26-07-2004, 03:39 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to commented but would probably offend too many peeps!!LOL

Lets just say I am very anti forces from what I have seen....my dad was in the army for the first 10 or so years of my life, I have work in a navy environment for 8 years and my parnter was in the navy as was her wanker ex-husband. Once they re-programed you will love it and put your job before your wife and kids all day long...............
Old 26-07-2004, 05:29 PM
focus boy
Part of the Furniture

Done 16yrs in the Navy and all it is to me is a job that pays fairly well and i for would never put job before Family & Friends

Sean
Devon RSOC
Old 26-07-2004, 05:41 PM
bigal1978
PassionFord Post Troll

i tryed to join the army they said i was to fat the cheeky coonts
seems like there s to much effort involed any how
Old 26-07-2004, 05:44 PM
Simon
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

was in the army for 5 years (till i got lobbed out ) basic training is about the only time you get grief after that its pretty much a 9 - 5 monday to friday job with the occasional guard duty thrown in.

oh and i fookin loved it until they got shut of me

simon
Old 26-07-2004, 06:03 PM
wimwerf
PassionFord Post Troll

I'm in the army for 9 years (netherlands). first 7 years in the regular army (tanks), now for two years I'm militairy police. nothing wrong with this work
Old 26-07-2004, 06:32 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

Originally Posted by Dan@Gremlinnet.com
Once they re-programed you will love it and put your job before your wife and kids all day long...............
Yep. Friend of mine joined up. May still be there for all I know, we drifted apart over time. Tried to make it work, but then fell out in a MAJOR way.

But at the end of the day its what the job requires. Total commitment.

Also, Ive met very few ex-Army personnel that we're completely adjusted back to civi life.
Old 26-07-2004, 06:35 PM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I got a mate who was a Para for 8 yrs he dont really talk about it much but from what he said it dont sound like fun to me he used to get in a lot of trouble for fighting too But I have the ut most repect for anyone who is prepared to die to save protect etc my country
Old 26-07-2004, 06:40 PM
RSeb

im in the army and its the best thing i ever did no regrets pay is good cos youve got no overheads and like said before fist 3 months is bull shity cos you have to adapt from being a civvi to being a soldier, then its a 9 - 5 job and a totally different way of life and type of people the you get to know and get to do all sorts of things that youd never see in civv street, just do it mate if you dont like it then you can always get out and at least you can say you tried rather than spend the rest of youre life wanderin what it would be like!!!!!!!!!
Old 26-07-2004, 06:45 PM
Simon

Originally Posted by WURBO
im in the army and its the best thing i ever did no regrets pay is good cos youve got no overheads and like said before fist 3 months is bull shity cos you have to adapt from being a civvi to being a soldier, then its a 9 - 5 job and a totally different way of life and type of people the you get to know and get to do all sorts of things that youd never see in civv street, just do it mate if you dont like it then you can always get out and at least you can say you tried rather than spend the rest of youre life wanderin what it would be like!!!!!!!!!
is aldershit where your based at ? thats where i was did my training at buller barracks then got posted accross the fookin road to travers barracks when i put in for a german posting

simon
Old 26-07-2004, 06:49 PM
TANKY
Regular Contributor

Yea, was in for about 4 years, i left 1.5 years ago because of numerous reasons.

i had a good time, got some travel under my belt. was a challenger 2 main battle tank driver/gunner/loader and it was the biggest buzz of my life.

dont join the Army if your hearts not in it, like for a job or something, i think to be a good soldier your heart must be set in doing so, else its not for you.

I would like to have stayed, but there is bigger and better things in civvy street, and its a whole different ball game.

have to agree its soo easy to get in the shit in the army, i was forever in the shit, used to get absolute mental kickings for making the slightest of mistakes, getting fined left, right and centre, and what pissed me off the most is there are alot of backstabbers who will drop you in the shit at a drop of a hat if they dont like ya, or to brown nose, gain rank.

To be honest mate, lots of tossers in the army, but i have also found mates for life, and they become your best buddies!!

another thing, if i was to join up again, i would of gone into a trade, ie REME, Engineers, Signals, as there is no jobs in civvy street running around with a rifle, or driving a mahoosive tank!!

what ever you do, have a serious think of what you are doing

Cheers

Ben
Old 26-07-2004, 07:08 PM
Anonymous
Banned

9 to 5 jobs!!LOL

Just so people know in the services they own you 24/7, they have total control of your life and make your decisions for you. Even when your on leave they can call you in.

There is no go into work one day and tell your boss he's a cunt and to stick his job either. Do that and inside you go, you have to buy your way out and/or give a huge amount of notice your off (12 months!!)

Seen the destruction the services do on family/kids and it fooking disguss me!! The attitude of navy men is the worse, get married have kids and then leave them while they fook off for months onboard and then shag the arse of anything that moves when they dock somewhere. Sure enough eventually dirvorce follows......
Old 26-07-2004, 08:25 PM
smudgerz

Did 13 years 11 as an airborne infantry man then 2 years as a paint sprayer. Loved it for 8-9 years then got pissed off with it. Like Tanky said, loads shite to put up with, crap gear (had to buy me own boots, sleeping bag, warm jacket.......) and never at home. Saying that i saw the world, well some of it!! glad i did it. Have a go mate but like Tanky said (again!!) get a trade it helps no end when you get out. I adjusted to civi life ok so dont let that worry you. Good luck!
Old 26-07-2004, 08:31 PM
andyescos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I did 2 years in a commando regt, then 5 years in a unit called AMF(L) travelling everywhere!Bosnia, Crotia, Iraq,Norway, Cyprus(Oh yeah, on the piss in Ayia Nappa and being paid to do it!)Shagginn hookers in Turkey,Jumping through the ice in Norway(-40, now thats cold)
Best time of my life, only appreciate it now I'm out, f**king awesome time, it transformed me into the nutcase idiot I am today,And now it's on my CV, I've got every job I've ever applied for!(God I'm a big head)
I even wanked off a dog in some girls flat in Plymouth, Civi's don't find that funny though, and yes, posh speaking people do shout at ya!
Everyone should do it, AWESOME!
Andy
Old 26-07-2004, 08:32 PM
andyescos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It was allright, the dog loved it!
Old 26-07-2004, 08:37 PM
NIMRODS_RST
MISSING MY RST!!

Old 26-07-2004, 08:43 PM
Chipperx2
Advanced PassionFord User

Why go shoot othewr ppor people too make the rich richer??? Bit stupid if u ask me
Old 26-07-2004, 08:44 PM
Chipperx2
Advanced PassionFord User

No disrespect to the soldiers and that cos a couple of my cozes are there but I would never join up!
Old 26-07-2004, 08:45 PM
TANKY
Regular Contributor

Andyescos, i know what you mean by civvies not seeing the funnyside of things.

squaddies have a unique sense of humor, usually properly fucked up

way too many people take me the wrong way, and are too easily offended by me

smudgerz totally mate
Old 26-07-2004, 08:47 PM
RSeb

SI GUESS WHAT IM AT TRVERS BKS NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 26-07-2004, 08:55 PM
Simon

Originally Posted by WURBO
SI GUESS WHAT IM AT TRVERS BKS NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
is it still RCT i was in 8 squadron rct and we had barracks in the para camp up the road

simon
Old 26-07-2004, 09:01 PM
McPikie
Banned

Originally Posted by andyescos
I even wanked off a dog in some girls flat in Plymouth
You dont need to be in the army to do that you know, there are places for people like you on the internet

Old 26-07-2004, 10:11 PM
PhilM
PassionBMW.com Member

Total respect for anyone who has seen regular service in any of the branches of the forces, still not sure about whether to do it myself at the moment, so for now its RAFVR and Uni, get some qualifacations just so I have choices.

Old 27-07-2004, 01:40 AM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

In the RAF been in 3 yrs, enjoying it at the moment even tho i have been to "forces prison" for being a bad boy, im a paint spraying @ RAF Brize norton, its just like an everyday job to me
Old 27-07-2004, 01:51 AM
Jim Green
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep, 18 years in the Navy.

10 years as a Marine Engineering Mechanic, 8 years as a Regulator (Navy Police)

F-cking Loved it.

Only now when I'm out and working for a crappy company (American Cruise Lines) that I realize how easy it was. Did all the usual, Falkland, Gulf, but I was a lucky one.

Lots of sacrifices to make, forget family, you never hardly see them unless your shore based, the pay is good, the friends you meet will be the best buddies you could ever hope for.

As with any job.....Pro's and Cons.

As for getting shouted at..............Get used to it. It was me doing the shouting
Old 27-07-2004, 08:11 AM
RSeb

simon
its an RLC place now im a REME scumbag but im attached to 8 sqn and we got airborne engineers livin with us now
Old 11-08-2004, 08:39 PM
andyescos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

RAF, now there's a career, if I had to do it again thats what I'd do, What use is a 3 month Arctic survival course and 105mm advanced guns in civi street!RAF pay good and is usefull outside!
Andy
Old 11-08-2004, 08:45 PM
Gooey

Mercury Magic, do you know someone called Oliver Harvey, he used to have a white Series 1
Old 12-08-2004, 12:20 AM
steve211
Regular Contributor

done 13 yrs so far in the raf......isnt always great but there are some great perks and the money is good and at least have a trade to leave with (aircraft tech)
work monday to friday.....lol...even finish half day on a friday
isnt as bad as some have said with regards them owning you....pretty much left to get on with things at work without any hassles and not many civvy companies cover ur medical and dental expensies or pay u full pay while on the sick or pay u to go back to tech for further qualifications too
Old 12-08-2004, 02:46 PM
cosworth
Regular Contributor

Served in the Royal Norwegian Navy onboard a mine sweeper. The friendship and teamwork feeling was fantastic.

Have lot`s of good memories from my time there.

It`s a lifestyle and can of course be difficult to match with family life. But so is a lot of other jobs...

Would definately recommend it

Do it while you have the opportunity and if you come to a crossroad and have to quit the armed forces you can at least say you have tried it...!!