General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

air injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 25-02-2006 | 08:37 AM
righthooker
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Default air injectors?

At what stage of tune are these relevent and what do they actualy do,help with ,or prevent ,i should know as i have been on here long enough but dont
Old 25-02-2006 | 09:07 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

What Are Air Injectors?
Air injectors, are, as they sound, a set of injectors that inject air instead of fuel. They are commonly used to control the boost pressure output by a turbocharger.

What do they look like?
There are various types available, but the most common ones are as follows.

There are however many types available nowadays, including the ones that we most commonly sell now that only run a single injector.

How do they work?
The air injectors have an input to the top of them from the turbocharger and an output on the bottom to the wastegate. The injectors are wired to the ecu so they can be controlled.

The ecu air injector map is mapped against boost, rpm and air temperature. The injectors initially stay closed, keeping the wastegate closed too, encouraging the turbo to spin to speed as fast as possible. When the desired turbocharger pressure is aquired during mapping, the injectors are pulsed so that they open at that point, allowing air to flow to the wastegate. This of course opens the gate, bypassing some exhaust gas from the turbine wheel, slowing the compressor and leveling or dropping the boost pressure depending entirely of course on how much air we allow through. The beauty of this system is we can use a relatively weak actuator to achieve very large boost levels and we can accurately program boost curves into the system.

Any downsides?
Yes, if the injectors fail, due to the “Bleed On” configuration, the turbo will run whatever boost it can until something either stops it or something fails due to the fact we have blocked the pipe to the actuator.

Further info here:
https://passionford.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=157765
Old 25-02-2006 | 09:49 AM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Nice one Boss,

Always wondered how these work
Old 25-02-2006 | 10:00 AM
righthooker
PassionFord Post Whore!!

cheers stu.have been searchig the sit for the last half anhour looking for info
Have been reading up on your closed loop lambda and coil packs
Looks like a plan I will be wanting a few changes when the cossie comes back out in april,how much time in advance do you need to fit a cossie in for ,the above and a mapping session stu??
I have a t34,500 cooler the usual on greens ,but was wanting to push it a little to greys and a good map with the coilpacks and lambda to make it safe and relieable.
Old 25-02-2006 | 10:29 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Sounds like you want 30+mpg with closed loop fuel control allied to no missfires with coilpack conversion, some nice big black injectors and 36peak/29held on std or higher compression for max fun on the road.

My favourite road conversion by far.

However... we are currently booking June for mapping im afraid. But good things come to those who wait.
Old 25-02-2006 | 10:37 AM
righthooker
PassionFord Post Whore!!

black injectectors what do they flow ,never heard of them .June book me in
would that be a case of leaving the car for a week then stu ,is it to much for a day trip?
Old 25-02-2006 | 10:51 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

The injectors that we personally favour vary from 55lbph to 83lbph @3bar

Time to complete varies, a week is max, it largely depends just how far you want us to go? If you want it to start, rev and drive from cold EXACTLY the same as it is hot, with no issues whatsoever, then yes, a week is inevitable due to the short periods of time we get to map the car cold each day... (Approx 2mins per load site. 5c 10c 15c 20c etc etc) but it does come back perfect, no hunting, no silly idle spurts, no hesitations. Drives just like a factory unmodified zetec, hot or cold. 25mph smoothly in 5th, in the school run traffic, from stone cold is to be expected.

Making them fast is relatively simple, making them drive properly and perform properly cold, is quite tricky and time consuming... but thats another topic.. lol

Trending Topics

Old 25-02-2006 | 10:52 AM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by righthooker
would that be a case of leaving the car for a week then stu ,is it to much for a day trip?
Black injectors come in various sizes but it's pretty safe to say that they flow more fuel than Grey injectors!
Old 25-02-2006 | 10:57 AM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

will air injectors wrok with an external wastegate? or does this require and after market controller

Old 25-02-2006 | 10:59 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by xr4x4rs
will air injectors wrok with an external wastegate? or does this require and after market controller

yes they'll work
Old 25-02-2006 | 11:00 AM
righthooker
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by DazC
Originally Posted by righthooker
Black injectors come in various sizes but it's pretty safe to say that they flow more fuel than Grey injectors!
I would have thought so daz but as greys are reputidly good for 440 bhp i was just wondering why go black unless of course plans to change cams and compression where in the pipe line
Old 25-02-2006 | 11:02 AM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Black injectors do not need a fitting kit where as the greys do...

I also believe the blacks cost just the same or at least very similar to the grey injectors without fitting kit...but you will have to confirm that with Stu.
Old 25-02-2006 | 11:03 AM
righthooker
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by DazC
Black injectors do not need a fitting kit where as the greys do...

I also believe the blacks cost just the same or at least very similar to the grey injectors without fitting kit...but you will have to confirm that with Stu.
Now that would be a good thing ,will have to enquire about it with the man
Old 25-02-2006 | 11:10 AM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by GARETH T
Originally Posted by xr4x4rs

yes they'll work
thanks mate

Old 25-02-2006 | 11:21 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Because the larger injectors are comparitively priced and have a better spray pattern, it seems to me wastefull to have a 400bhp conversion with an injector almost on its knees when you can use one thats got lots more left in it. You will NEVER see an OEM installation with an injector thats almost flat out, and for very good reason.

You also have teh bonus that if you want to whip off the T34 and throw on a T38 or a GT30 with a few mods, you dont have to buy a few hundred quids worth of new injectors AGAIN, + your base map is still almost fine and doesnt need starting from scratch...

Now tell me, why do you want greys?
Old 25-02-2006 | 11:53 AM
righthooker
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ok stu,well put .So will be making an appointment to come down
Stu You have pm