General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

ruddy horse rides.!!!

Search this Thread

Old 17-02-2006, 03:18 PM
silverspeed
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ruddy horse rides.!!!

they all want shooting.!!!
Old 17-02-2006, 04:27 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

As a horse owner I would be inclined to just call you a prick
Old 17-02-2006, 04:31 PM
James-W
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You are a prick silverspeed Im thinking of buying horse in the next year and you have totally stereotyped all horse owners because maybe you have seen a couple pricks what probably wernt that bad anyway.
Also Kim rides horses so she wont be happy about this like I and Steve arnt.
Old 17-02-2006, 04:33 PM
Ad4m RST
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another one who thinks he owns the road....

whats wrong woth horse riders??
Old 17-02-2006, 04:37 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

There are some proper knobs that ride and seem to think the whole world should stop for them. However these idiots are very much the minority. A bit of mutual respect is all that is needed and for drivers not tear arse through lanes where they can't see what's round the next corner.
Old 17-02-2006, 04:47 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Ad4m RST
Another one who thinks he owns the road....
*gets out wooden spoon*

We do, we pay road tax etc.

Let the fight begin
Old 17-02-2006, 04:48 PM
Redkop
Member No: 39

Default Re: ruddy horse rides.!!!

Originally Posted by silverspeed
they all want shooting.!!!

Why? I presume you meant riders and not rides.
Old 17-02-2006, 05:36 PM
gurnE
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Horses should not be allowed on public roads anymore imo.

Purely on safety grounds.

They are too slow, too easy spooked, anyone can take any horse on the highway etc.

Beautiful animals but not suitable for use on 21st century roads.

Shooting all equestrians might be a tad excessive though
Old 17-02-2006, 05:50 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by gurnE
Horses should not be allowed on public roads anymore imo.

Purely on safety grounds.

They are too slow, too easy spooked, anyone can take any horse on the highway etc.

Beautiful animals but not suitable for use on 21st century roads.
Sorry mate but that's complete rubbish
Riding a horse through a heavily populated town centre or road with heavy traffic is daft by anybodies standards. But in the countryside you should expect to come across them it's just part of how things are. Horses do not spook easily, if they did the police wouldn't use them in riots. The only time I have ever seen a horse spook at a car was when a bellend in a TT came screaming down the lane we were on and nearly wiped out 2 walkers, myself on a bike and my missus on the horse. The prat then bounced off the verges on either side of the road before dissapearing.

They have every right to use the roads as anybody else does.

I love razzing my car about as much as the next petrol head on here but come on all it takes is a bit of mutual respect and a faint hint of understanding which is so clearly lacking by the posts that crop up of this nature.
Old 17-02-2006, 05:51 PM
keithG666
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Old 17-02-2006, 05:53 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

So you wouldn't take a horse on a 30mph town road, but are happy on a 60mph lane

If horses don't get spooked, why is there such a big bit about leaving loads of room in the highway code?

Police horses are trained for it.
Old 17-02-2006, 05:56 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

TBH they should have right away on the road unless they pay tax Dont get me wrong horses are nice and i would never spook one etc. Strange one this, and i hate it when they shit on the road gezz i dont wont to put my nice alloys through that! lol
Old 17-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Most of the lanes you would have to be a complete dick to be doing 60mph down anyway as you can't see far enough ahead to see what's coming at you.

As always with the Highway code it's over caution. If you pass a horse close and fast you are asking for trouble passing slow and wide is just common courtesy like passing walkers and cyclists. As much as anything else if you cause the rider to jump the horse can pick up on this and that can often cause the horse to then go.

We have a thoroughbred and they are known for being a bit skitty and he is fine in traffic and not bothered by cars at all (bar the goon with the TT ).

Your comments mate display a complete lack of understaning of horses.

Have you seen the damage hitting a horse does? It will usually right the car off. Tractors are big and slow as well should they be banned from the roads. Should bikes be banned as you are more likely to die in the event of an accident? Of course they shouldnt. You can't just ban something as it doesn't suit you.
Old 17-02-2006, 06:06 PM
DUDE_SWEET_FRST
Advanced PassionFord User

yeah but im sure you drive faster on country lanes than you do on normal road...

you come round a corner, doing 60 and see a horse right there, what you supose 2 do, slam the brakes on and do 20mph past it?

i got loads of fingers and abuse from about 4 horse riders, was doing about 50 (if that) went round a corner, they were all in the middle of the road, i couldnt do anything but swerve, not even time to break, and they all had a go at me

let the arguments start
Old 17-02-2006, 06:11 PM
Redkop

Horses had a right to the road, long before cars did. End of!
Old 17-02-2006, 06:12 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by DUDE_SWEET_FRST
yeah but im sure you drive faster on country lanes than you do on normal road...

you come round a corner, doing 60 and see a horse right there, what you supose 2 do, slam the brakes on and do 20mph past it?

i got loads of fingers and abuse from about 4 horse riders, was doing about 50 (if that) went round a corner, they were all in the middle of the road, i couldnt do anything but swerve, not even time to break, and they all had a go at me
Not at all.

And you're suprised? You clearly displayed inadequate control of your vehicle? If that had been a tractor you wouldn't be here now
Old 17-02-2006, 06:21 PM
Redkop

Nor would he have been if some idiot was doing 50mph coming the other way either.
Old 17-02-2006, 06:32 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

To be honest I'm shocked and quite saddened at some of the attitudes that have been displayed on here when this topic comes up. I'm almost embarrased to be a car enthusiast
Old 17-02-2006, 07:02 PM
gurnE
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Oranoco
Most of the lanes you would have to be a complete dick to be doing 60mph down anyway as you can't see far enough ahead to see what's coming at you.

As always with the Highway code it's over caution. If you pass a horse close and fast you are asking for trouble passing slow and wide is just common courtesy like passing walkers and cyclists. As much as anything else if you cause the rider to jump the horse can pick up on this and that can often cause the horse to then go.

We have a thoroughbred and they are known for being a bit skitty and he is fine in traffic and not bothered by cars at all (bar the goon with the TT ).

Your comments mate display a complete lack of understaning of horses.

Have you seen the damage hitting a horse does? It will usually right the car off. Tractors are big and slow as well should they be banned from the roads. Should bikes be banned as you are more likely to die in the event of an accident? Of course they shouldnt. You can't just ban something as it doesn't suit you.
I've seen plenty of horses get jumpy and a few properly spook but then again spending most of my youth at Gymkhanas and Stables maybe I've seen more than most.

An experienced rider on a confident horse poses no problem at all but there is plenty of inexperienced riders barely in control of a very powerful animal.

You need no training or insurance to take what could be a deadly animal onto the public highway and it's speed is so far removed from all the other traffic on the roads it becomes dangerous.

Most horses are stabled on farms. Bridle paths generally cut across farmland.

Horses should be contained on bridle paths/farm land with crossings like pedestrian crossings where the horse would have right of way, to cross public highways when necessary.

Tractors are not likely to spook are cause harm to itself and others.
Motorcycles fit in nicely with the speed of the traffic around them and my bike does exactly what I tell it without exception.

Horses on the road don't bother me in the slightest.

I am always more than happy to pass wide and slow, give them as much room as possible.

Still doesn't change my opinion that they are wholly unsuited to 21st century roads though.

The argument that horses were there first is complete nonsense as well, Horses were used as transport and the motor vehicle has long since replaced the horse in that capacity.

As I said, beautiful creatures and a fantastic hobby. That doesn't make them suitable traffic for modern roads though.
Old 17-02-2006, 07:09 PM
he man
Part of the Furniture

i live on a county lane. im well aware of this road as there has been deaths and lots of smashs so i drive with care. how ever i have many times come round the bends doing 20-30mph and fuck me theres a horse in the road. go to go round it but o no here comes a nutter nova driver. some roads really aint safe for em. theres to many nutty drivers out there.
Old 17-02-2006, 07:10 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Like I said mate it's about a bit of mutual respect. I know my missus doesn't ride on the road if there is a bridle path option but often to get between the bridle paths it's required to ride on the road. I'm a country boy at the end of the day so have spent most of my life around animals of one sort or another

There are idiots on both sides of the fence at the end of the day. Anybody who takes a horse on the road without insurance is daft. It doesn't cost much to be covered.
Old 17-02-2006, 07:16 PM
he man
Part of the Furniture

yeah true. bottom line is empty dry motorways late at night is the place to speed in my opinon. not county lanes. but speed with care and on the ball at all times. the moment you dis-respect speed is when it gets you. only my opinon
Old 17-02-2006, 07:28 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

i love horses, especially with a nice gravey
Old 17-02-2006, 07:29 PM
Mike C
The Special One

Old 17-02-2006, 07:31 PM
Nath
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some horse riders should be a bit more considerate, especially when theres a que of cars backed up caused by them. I'm not a lover of horses on the road but it astounds me at some motorists who think sounding the horn or driving 6 inches away from them will get there attention ...thats downright stupid and dangerous

A bit of courteousy from both parties would help things along nicely

Caravan drivers are much worse IMO
Old 17-02-2006, 08:18 PM
Kelly_S1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by Nath
. I'm not a lover of horses on the road but it astounds me at some motorists who think sounding the horn or driving 6 inches away from them will get there attention ...thats downright stupid and dangerous

A bit of courteousy from both parties would help things along nicely
I agree totally

I horse ride, and i go on the road, we pay insurance to use the road too, so why shouldnt we be allowed to ride on the road, i do think some horse riders are not considerate on the road, like when they ride next to eachother, causes a problem, but horses were around before cars, some drivers should try go round horses wider, bcs if they were to spook it wouldnt be good.
My little pony got hit by a white van on a country road, where their was signs explaining their was horses, and he drove off, my horse had to get put down due to it. Its not always horses and riders thats the problem, some people are just to impatient.
Old 17-02-2006, 08:21 PM
89xr2
Brap!

horse riders should have as much right to be on the road as car drivers.

i can guarantee you there are more prick drivers than there are horseriders.
Old 17-02-2006, 08:36 PM
Ellie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I ride in a riding school.
If i did own a horse id be wary about going out on the roads. i live 7miles down a b-road from town so theres no avoiding the arseholes flying round the bends.
One young lad lost control and hit the verge, and a tree before being thrown through the SUNROOF into the road where he died.
thank god there was no pedestrians/riders there at the time.
Old 18-02-2006, 04:27 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

I dont see the problem really, If i ever see one in the road i just back off until the road is clear and cruise past Everyones happy
Old 18-02-2006, 06:36 AM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

Used to come accross them a lot as a cyclist. My regular training rides were along the lanes. Most were fine but I have come accross arrogant women riders who have hollared at me to slow down when as a responsible cyclist coming towards them, I have slowed to under 10mph while they have made no correction to their course. Then to not say thank you is just rude.

Most are fine and a friendly wave is exchanged but same with anything, dickheads in whatever you do.
Old 18-02-2006, 07:09 AM
Redkop

Originally Posted by saff_cossie
Used to come accross them a lot as a cyclist. My regular training rides were along the lanes. Most were fine but I have come accross arrogant women riders who have hollared at me to slow down when as a responsible cyclist coming towards them, I have slowed to under 10mph while they have made no correction to their course. Then to not say thank you is just rude.

Most are fine and a friendly wave is exchanged but same with anything, dickheads in whatever you do.
Which brings into the equation... cyclists on the road!! The times I have come across cyclists riding 2 abreast on busy main roads, country lanes etc etc. IMO they are far more of a nuisance on the roads, they try to sneak up the inside of cars in gaps rarely wide enough, while cars are in traffic jams or queuing for traffic lights/roundabouts. They ignore the cycle paths made for them and the areas for them on roads enclosed by whitelines, they never give hand signals, pull out from side roads without looking to see if the road is clear............... need I say more?
Old 18-02-2006, 01:24 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

but a cyclist wont shit its pants and jump all over the road

i had a near miss a few years back, was going round a corner, not fast at all and there was a horse trying to buck the rider, i had to swerve around it onto the wrong side of the road and luckily there wasnt anything coming.

but usually they alright
Old 18-02-2006, 01:37 PM
Nicole
PassionFord Post Troll

I have had horses all my life, and until recently i used to work with them schooling and competing.

I agree that novice riders should not be allowed on the roads. It IS too dangerous for riders that don't have the knowledge or experience. I think you should have to take an exam if you want to ride on the roads. I have taken a Riding & Road safety exam as part of my British Horse Society qualifications, and i think it would be a great idea to have that as mandatory before taking a horse onto the roads.

However, for the more experience riders i don't see it as a problem providing they use their common sense

It is actually part of our Training/Schooling plan to ride out on the roads quite often as for horses that are competing heavily, they need the break and they really enjoy the change of scenery and fresh air and it does them the world of good mentally and you get more response from them when it comes to the Paddock schooling. Hacking out on the roads is also very good for muscle building and maintaining fitness levels.

So some of us do actually know what we are doing and have a reason to be on the roads. Not to mention just having a ride out for fun
Old 18-02-2006, 01:48 PM
Redkop

Strange how silverspeed has disappeared?
Old 18-02-2006, 08:55 PM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Redkop
Originally Posted by saff_cossie

Which brings into the equation... cyclists on the road!! The times I have come across cyclists riding 2 abreast on busy main roads, country lanes etc etc. IMO they are far more of a nuisance on the roads, they try to sneak up the inside of cars in gaps rarely wide enough, while cars are in traffic jams or queuing for traffic lights/roundabouts. They ignore the cycle paths made for them and the areas for them on roads enclosed by whitelines, they never give hand signals, pull out from side roads without looking to see if the road is clear............... need I say more?
This thread is about defending a generalisation so here is mine based on your generalised reply:

2 abreast is legal - it does require some common sense on the cyclists part though but for it to be a social activity and encourage more people to take up the sport, there needs to be give and take.

I actually ride more cycle paths here than roads as they are serviced properly and pedestrians have their own designated path. Having said all that, I still get pedestrians 4 wide on the cycle path. In the UK the main problem with cycle paths was sharing them with pedestrians. When I am out for a 25mph average training ride, they dont like me on a cycle path and to be honest I dont want kids running in front of me, broken glass etc.

The other big issue with cycle paths is I ride a mountain bike on slick tyres which are a bit tougher than a road bike tyres. Road bikes cannot afford to use a cycle path covered in gravel that the cars throw up, glass and other rubbish flicked up by cars.

I did my cycling proficiency at 10 and pride myself on good indications and have done since I passed.

I dont duck down the inside of traffic and there is actually a thread I think one of the motorbike riders started about motorbikes doing that where I wrote about me as a cyclist sitting in the queue rather than going between the cars. My thinking for this is if a car has gone to the effort (and at times it can be an effort) of overtaking me, then I give them the respect of waiting in the queue as they are quicker than me.

So there you go, feel free to say more but I have shown you that not every cyclist fits your stereo type, the same as every horse rider doesnt fit the thread starters point.

BTW I live on the main beach road in Melbourne here where in excess of 7000 cyclists use it every weekend. How about trying to over take a peleton of 200 cyclists on a duel lane twisty road.
Old 18-02-2006, 09:51 PM
GOT2BZETEC
Advanced PassionFord User

Only problem with horses is the ridiculous expense!
Old 18-02-2006, 10:14 PM
Mark V8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 166 Likes on 145 Posts

I nearly smashed my(taxed, insured and MOT'd) bike to pieces after hitting some un-shoveled horse shit on a country lane bend
If you have to ride them on the roads take your shit with you

Mark
Old 18-02-2006, 10:24 PM
GAZ W
PassionFord Post Troll

its the dicks that let em shit all over the road that does me , should cary a shovel and a bag around with em like *some* dog owners do .

the horse rider wouldnt like it if i scooped a weeks worth of dog shite up and chucked it outside there fookin house
Old 18-02-2006, 10:49 PM
Nath
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GOT2BZETEC
Only problem with horses is the ridiculous expense!
Ever owned a Cossy? ... same as though
Old 19-02-2006, 09:11 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

i ran over a dog on my bike, first day of work at fast ford too

bastid thing nealy had me over the bars

Quick Reply: ruddy horse rides.!!!