General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Is this an ebay scam...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 11:26 AM
Natalie
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this an ebay scam...

Is this an ebay scam ? all names and details removed !

I am buying an item from a guy in the states but he wants payment sent to germany.
I have been in email contact with him aswell but this mail came from aw-confirm@ebay.com

The item I am buying is very unusual and not something i would think a scammer would use .

Here's the invoice for your item, **************
The selling of this item through eBay is in compliance with eBay policy; you will be able to exchange Feedback with the seller and will be eligible for all eBay services associated with a transaction, such as fraud protection.

Dear **********, You have committed to buy the following eBay item from *******
Item Details

D***********************r

Please review the seller's payment instructions below. Pay using Money Transfer Service via Western Union in association with eBay Inc.

Payment details:
Item price : US $********

Quantity : 1

Subtotal : US $**********

Note: The payment details are confidential and will not be released under any circumstances to the seller without your approval.
Payment instructions :
1. Locate the nearest Western Union office
2. Make the payment with cash using the below seller details.
3. Please send us a copy of the Western Union receipt by fax at the next number: +1 (801) 925-7283
Once we receive the payment confirmation, we will instruct the seller to start the shipping process. We will hold the payment details until you send us your confirmation that you are satisfied with the product you received. As soon as we receive your confirmation we will release the payment details to the seller. Until then the seller won't be able to access the money you sent.

Seller's verified payment details:

I have mailed him saying I want to use paypal or escrow but had no reply yet ?
Old 11-02-2006, 11:37 AM
rauri
up in smoke........

looks fishy to me
Old 11-02-2006, 12:01 PM
kjc300
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I think western union is banned on ebay now!!! DON'T use it in my opinion, as it's as good as giving cash to someone you don't know who can turn up with any old fake I'd to claim the cash!!
Old 11-02-2006, 12:45 PM
Natalie
Banned

I sent that email to ebay an then got another...

Ebay has confirmed it is a scam ( look at the spelling mistakes in this message)

Member *********
We have been informed by our member ********* that you have problems about sending the money through the WesternUnion-Money Transfer, the service that the seller has requested.
We must inform you that you can safely send the payment to the member without any risk at all.He is a verified membern
Please read the Payment Instructions bellow for more information.
*If you encounter any problems during this transaction please reply with the subject: Refund request for eBay Transaction #7387775265.
The seller has signed an agreement with eBay in which he is forced to send the products to all members with positive feedback.Otherwise his credit card will be charged and we will send your money back.The payment must be sent tot Germany where the seller asked.His paypal account is updating and unavailable.
We apreciate your efort and we strongly reccomend you to complete this transaction with our member *************
***Now you have our full approval for this transaction.If we will receive any other complaints from the seller you will receive a negative feedback and we will temporaray suspen! d your account for further investigations!
***Next step: Contact the seller in the next 48 hours your to complete the transaction
Regards,
eBay Security Center

To submit the payment with Western Union Money Transfer you have the following option:
Pay for the transfer with cash at a local Western Union agent.
Click here to locate the agents in your area:
http://www.westernunion.com/info/agentInquiryIntl.asp
However, Western Union Money Transfer is designed mainly for sending cash to friends and family in need, so telling them you are sending the money to an eBay seller will prevent your money transfer to go through and you will be unable to complete this transaction.
Because the fee to send a Western Union Mo! ney Transfer is high,compared to other methods of payment, we have arranged with the seller to compensate for half of this fee (i.e. if it costs you $100 to send the payment, take $50 from the amount insured and send the balance).

Once the payment was sent, email the seller the following information to the sellers verified email address:
- 10 digit MTCN (Western Union Money Transfer Control Number):
- Exact sender's name on file with Western Union:
- Your street address on file with Western Union:
- City and country where you sent the money from:
- Amount sent:
Then wait for the confirmation the payment was received. Within 5 days
you will receive the item.