Garage / Workshop & Tools Section. Given working on your pride and joy is often one of the reasons cited for owning a Ford, post all your garage and tool collection pictures and questions in here.

Cordless Impact Wrenches

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 09:55 AM
alistairolsen
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cordless Impact Wrenches

Ive got a birthday coming up and I've decided to stop putting it off and get one of these if possible.

I've seen Gav's Snap On? one which from memory had a clutch and so one but unfortunately it's more than I can afford by a margin!

Rob has a techway one which seems to get the job done and was significantly cheaper

I've had mixed reviews on Sealey guns.

I was looking at the Clarke stuff (VAT free day at machine mart coming up) and cant decide if its worth the extra for the CIR 450 over the CIR24 when you dont get the spare battery and so on?

Has anyone got an use a Clarke gun and is able to comment on torque and battery life? What does anyone else use and would the recommend it?

Cheers
Old 12-10-2010, 09:58 AM
am4nf
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont get a sealey, ive heard many bad things
Old 12-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Ive got a clarke one, dont know the model number though. Looks like this though so I assume its the 24
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CLARKE-CIR24-2...-/400162502542

Ive never needed the second battery during a trackday yet even when Ive changed the wheels a few times, although I tend to breaker bar them first just to loosen them as IME the main thing that kills the batteries is when they are sat there hammering away trying to get the nuts to crack in the first place and likewise if you sit there hammering it to tighten, so if you just give them a quarter turn with a bar first and use it to do the final tighten they just seem to last and last.

Mine is so good I use it all the time at home as well even though Ive got the compressor sat there, just cause its easier than messing around with the airline all over the place, I use it for stuff like subframe bolts and things not just the wheels, I cant believe how well its lasted consdering the amount of use it gets.
If mine goes wrong, i'll definately just buy the same one again TBH, does everything I need quite happily and the batteries charge very quickly too (about an hour IIRC)

Only advantage I can see to the 450 is the fact its double the torque, but if its for changing wheels thats totally useless as the 200NM from the lower spec one like I have is more than any wheelnut should be tightened to anyway. In fact I used a 90NM restricted torque bar when using mine on wheels anyway to ensure it doesnt over tighten them.

Last edited by Chip; 12-10-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:08 AM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had a 18 Volt Snap On impact gun for 5 years now, its a awesome piece of kit, still using the original batteries, I used it constantly in a workshop everyday and then for most jobs I do.

The Clarke ones seem to get good reviews, no idea on how long they last but if your not buying it to use everyday it should last a fair while !
Old 12-10-2010, 10:12 AM
Fezman1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It all depends on what you using it for, what you want to get out of it, how long long you want it to last and ultimately -how much you want to spend.
The CIR24 isnt a great gun-but its ok, one of these generic pieces. Ok for ocasional/hobby use, but dont realy on it un doing every nut you put it on. The CIR450 is worth the extra, and would give a good comprimise for you.As you would have a gun that should be upto the jobs and for hobby use, id imagine it would last you a long time.
But it still isnt the best for out and out professional use, where you may spend double that again. But thats alot of money to have laying around for hobby use in my opinion.

Last edited by Fezman1; 12-10-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:25 AM
alistairolsen

It's for hobby use, probably every second weekend on the cars, and even then only when doing something that requires it.

Track day wheel changes is an obvious one, and most will cope with that. Its stuff like on sunday I swapped the engine in a corsa, and needed some help to apply the brakes to remove the crankshaft nut. Im not sure it would cope with that?

When I was at robs, his got used for everything, so I can see it becoming one of those tools I use far more than I imagine (but still not enough to justify the Snap On money.)

Id go for the Clarke 450 in a shot if it had the extra battery. Also been looking at this

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/sealey-cp2...atteries-p7955

Which seems ok.

Chip: echo your thoughts on the airline, along with waiting for the tank to fill to get some torque, the noise of the compressor limiting working time etc etc etc.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by Fezman1
It all depends on what you using it for, what you want to get out of it, how long long you want it to last and ultimately -how much you want to spend.
The CIR24 isnt a great gun-but its ok, one of these generic pieces. Ok for ocasional/hobby use, but dont realy on it un doing every nut you put it on. The CIR450 is worth the extra, and would give a good comprimise for you.As you would have a gun that should be upto the jobs and for hobby use, id imagine it would last you a long time.
But it still isnt the best for out and out professional use, where you may spend double that again. But thats alot of money to have laying around for hobby use in my opinion.
For undoing really stubburn bolts the 24 definately WONT be up to the job, its not got the balls for really rusted up stuff, but I assume that ali has a proper airline powered one at home for stuff like that and he just wants this for trackdays or similar?
Old 12-10-2010, 10:32 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by alistairolsen
Chip: echo your thoughts on the airline, along with waiting for the tank to fill to get some torque, the noise of the compressor limiting working time etc etc etc.
Yeah I only bother to even charge the compressor these days if I know im going something thats likely to be seized and need freeing off, which if you are using this for your newly built kit car with every bolt in good order etc, just isnt going to be an issue.

For spending all day breaking cars for example I wouldnt want the 24, but for the sort of things I use it for its been literally perfect.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:38 AM
alistairolsen

Bit of both really. For trackdays and the kitcar like you say it will be fine. Occasionally though I do work on normal road cars (15 year old never been removed bolts) where i have no power.

TBH Ive got a compressor and a gun but for the effort of getting it out and then the noise or hassle of turning it on and off I never use it and just get fucking knackered using a breaker bar and ratchet all day!

How long have you had yours Chip?
Old 12-10-2010, 10:38 AM
Turbo Transit
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Al: Quite a few guys on LR4x4 seem to be recommending the Sealey CP2400 you linked above
Old 12-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Chip

Bit of both really. For trackdays and the kitcar like you say it will be fine. Occasionally though I do work on normal road cars (15 year old never been removed bolts) where i have no power.

TBH Ive got a compressor and a gun but for the effort of getting it out and then the noise or hassle of turning it on and off I never use it and just get fucking knackered using a breaker bar and ratchet all day!
Thing is with mine, although on a really rusty stubborn bolt I use a breaker bar to crack it, thats not the bit that tires you out its winding a rusty bolt all the way in and out with a socket, and for that even the 24 is perfectly up to the job once you have done that initial cracking off of the bolt.

How long have you had yours Chip?
Couple of years now and other than some scuffs from being chucked about it still works and looks as new.

If I had paid twice as much for it, I'd still be happy with it TBH, im not saying its a profdessional grade product, but for the sort of use we have, its perfectly adequete and if it does get robbed at a trackday when I leave it lieing around in the pits im not going to lose too much sleep over it compared to if I had a 300 quid one.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:44 AM
boothy
BANNED
BANNED

ive got the 24 volt clarke belter for undoing wheel nuts ect think it was about Ł90-100
Old 12-10-2010, 11:15 AM
clarke5700
YES I KNOW I CANT SPELL

Originally Posted by am4nf
Dont get a sealey, ive heard many bad things
+1 mine keeps melting the prongs on the battery
Old 24-10-2010, 03:45 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

clarke ,,,,, for a man with your surname why the fuck did you buy a sealy.......... the name should have gave you the hint what to buy,,,,,,,,,, SNAPON !!!!
Old 19-11-2010, 09:06 PM
nuttynil
RS nutta

I have had one of these for 3yrs now and it gets used around the workshop a lot excellent for wheel nuts godsend for chassis bolts /subframes even great for rawbolts etc never give me trouble its got a brand name of boschman
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/24v-CORDLESS-I...#ht_2229wt_905
Old 19-11-2010, 09:56 PM
bouncy
Regular Contributor

Sealey or clarke for the hobbiest!!!! Snap on for the pro!!

I have a Sealey for the quads, which is good enough, but for the workshops, I cant fault the Snap On. If you can afford the Snap On, go for it, they are expensive but will last longer!!
Old 19-11-2010, 11:06 PM
alistairolsen

Bought the cheaper of the clarke guns and tried it for the first time tonight. Made fairly short work of wheel bolts tbh.
Old 20-11-2010, 08:20 PM
bigal1978
PassionFord Post Troll

Bought the cheaper of the clarke guns and tried it for the first time tonight. Made fairly short work of wheel bolts tbh.
it will once hahahaha
Old 26-11-2010, 10:29 AM
bunnymofo
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

we have got 2 of these at college, there pretty good, we use them on wheel nuts, hub nuts, anything thats hard to get off lol. never let me down exept from the battery not lasting all day when used all day, but other than that, there good.
Clarke CIR450 24V High Torque Cordless Impact Wrench
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...ordless-impact
Old 26-11-2010, 09:37 PM
alistairolsen

Well Im still on the first battery and so far its undone and done up 4 sets of wheel bolts, a crank pulley bolt and numerous other bits and bobs. Very impressed!
Old 28-11-2010, 05:33 PM
e30cossie
E36 cosworth

Originally Posted by nuttynil
I have had one of these for 3yrs now and it gets used around the workshop a lot excellent for wheel nuts godsend for chassis bolts /subframes even great for rawbolts etc never give me trouble its got a brand name of boschman
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/24v-CORDLESS-I...#ht_2229wt_905

+1 I also bought one of these from ebay about 3 years ago and still going like new. Only use it now and then at home.
Old 28-11-2010, 07:32 PM
RST
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I have a clarke one. Got the more power full one of the two think it was Ł150? pretty good tho use is all the time at work, not let me down yet.
Old 28-11-2010, 07:54 PM
alistairolsen

battery died today, a vauxhall crank pulley and 5 complete wheel changes later (20 wheels) Very impressed tbh for a budget tool!
Old 09-12-2010, 01:01 AM
3i_gaz
PassionFord Post Troll

Find yourself a used snap on CTU4850HO you wont go wrong fella!!

Zetec crank bolts are a tester for any cordless impact and these things will undo them effortlessly! cracking gun, magnesium housing 650 ftlb breakaway torque
Old 09-12-2010, 01:17 AM
.Ross.

I have a Dewalt 18v 1/2 Drive Gun and its proper kit.

Bought Naked for less than a ton (yeah you need a battery + charger)

Like I said .. Proper Kit .. All parts can be bought seperate and the batterys fit the drills, grinders, lights etc .. Plus you can buy 240v, 110v and 12v chargers ..
Old 09-12-2010, 06:01 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Ive got a snap on 18volt one and its brill ok it costs about 300 quid but its a greally good gun.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:30 PM
scarabman
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

i've had a sealey 1/2 24v gun for 3 years,use it everyday at work,dropped and basically hammered the shite out of it and its still going,all thats happened is one of the batteries died.as far as snap for pro's goes and sealey for hobbiests goes you would need your head looking at to pay some of there prices,their sockets and spanners are the best,i'm a pro and i do use snap on tools but would never pay the money for their guns,daylight robbery.
Old 27-12-2010, 08:27 AM
Brendan
struggling with reality

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got bought a "MAC" one. I know its a cheapie (less than Ł80) came with 2bats as well, managed fine for 2 lots of wheel changes (32 nuts) but I all ways finish them of by hand with my tech wrench! It still had lots of go in it! after that. not the most powerful or best bat life but for them money saves me a lot of time and effort!
Old 01-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Fiecos Dan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

After alot of looking around, and being in the steel erection and auto trades, i decided on a
- Mac Allister 14.4v 1/2" impact driver for Ł90ish at B&Q in 8-08, rated to 176nm, 2 batterys and hour charger, 3years warrentee
With full battery it would undo 210nm, tighten up to 200nm,
1/2 used battery undo 195nm and do up to 190nm,
3/4 battery used = 175nm undo and do up to 165nm
And the batterys last really well. even tho now they are 2 years old.

I use mine for all my vehicle needs, plus for work (nut running up to m20 bolts, but does need to be loosened off if real TIGHT, and also torqued up as quicker and dont put OTT strain on the gun (air line torque gun is for the bitch tight bolts), also with the adapter that come with it, 1/4" fitting can be use for screws etc for building trade usage.

Comparisons,
- After over a year of back to back usage along side 18volt 1/2'' DC822 Dewalt (Ł270 with 2xbatterys and charger, or Ł160 for just gun) i used to have at work it, it was evens on performance, just the dewalts batterys might last alittle more, (well it was a 18volt)
- Seems alot better than Clark's etc, lighter, smaller and great power.
- Also used it against my mates 18v and 24v Snap-on guns, not sure about Snap-ons battery life, but mine wont undo real tight bolts like the snap-ons, but mine is about half the wieght and size, and fraction of the cost.

I have returned mine once, as it failed in the 1st year, but that was more to me undoing every thing with it (now i slacken the real tight ones off 1st, rather than let the gun attempt it for 30+ seconds, i also put up aload of plasterboarding, which i think the dust is what caused it to fail, as it was whilst and after 3 days of plasterboarding that it the trigger started to play up, then failed.
2 years since ive had a replacement the guns been good as gold, and it gets used alot.

Last edited by Fiecos Dan; 01-01-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Official PassionFord Trader
Administrator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

I use this one: 620ftlb.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....group_id=19913
Old 06-01-2011, 11:19 PM
dug112y
passionford pro