Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Missing under high boost

Search this Thread

Old 26-11-2012, 10:34 PM
BIL N KEL
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Missing under high boost

Since standing my saff up for a couple of months it's now started missing when above 1.8bar of boost. I tried a new set of plugs but still no different and its had new leads dizzy cap etc from msd and a grp a coil. I was thinking about going down the coilpack conversion route but I may replace the engine loom first as to eliminate that. Does anybody make new looms? If not I'm sure I read somewhere that you can buy all the connectors for the loom in a kit. I'm a electrician so shouldn't be too hard for me to make one up

Anyone have an idea what I can also check?
Old 27-11-2012, 10:12 AM
Mike1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I believe that a guy called Ryan used to make looms but I don't think he does them anymore. I had a fan and fuel pump loom made up by Prometheus but I don't think he does them anymore.

Motorsport Developments do fuel and fan looms still I believe so they might be able to do an engine one too perhaps?
Old 27-11-2012, 10:30 AM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

What plug gap are you running, and is the car setup correctly?
I'd also change the fuel filter as well.
Could be a wiring issue, but cossies ran ok for years prior to wasted spark conversions, so it's not a necessity if the car is healthy, however it does improve things.

As for the looms, you can try bespoke looms, there's also another one but i forget the name right now. The connectors you can buy here http://www.polevolt.co.uk/acatalog/J...onnectors.html as that's how they manage to make new looms.

I did a few repairs to my own loom and found out that the 2 pin loom connectors for the injectors/phase sensor etc are 2 pin JPT (junior power timer) connectors & also the Throttle position sensor is just a bigger one, these are available from most elecrical wholesalers, they're dirt cheap too, i'm not sure about the main ECU plug though.

Also if you have any multi plugs in the loom, i'd chop them out and solder the wires together, that usually eliminates most gremlins.

Last edited by rog; 27-11-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 27-11-2012, 10:53 AM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ok now i've done a bt more looking it seems the ECU connector can be commonly found on Ducati bike sites for under £40.

http://competitionsystems.co.uk/asse...%20list_01.pdf

http://www.bikesportdevelopments.co....roductCode=C38
Old 27-11-2012, 10:57 AM
BIL N KEL

When I ordered the plugs, leads etc from msd I asked about the plug gaps and was told they would be set to the correct gap already. The car has ran faultlessly since having the 400 conversion earlier in the year. I then bought a focus rs in June and took the cossie off the road. When I got it out to take it to ford fair it kept missing on the way down to silverstone so I just thought it was a plug on the way out. I couldn't find any plugs at fordfair as matt Lewis had sold out I then ordered some more plugs and fitted them the other week but had been unable to test it until I done a trackday at the weekend. It was very wet in the morning so I turned the boost down from 2 to 1.6 bar and it ran fine. However after dinner the track had dried out so I turned the boost back up to 2bar and it was missing again.

What should the gaps be so I can be sure they are set correctly? Any other ideas what it could be?
Old 27-11-2012, 10:58 AM
BIL N KEL

Cheers for the links rog! I'll have a look on there later and get some ordered
Old 27-11-2012, 11:11 AM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Most people run about 0.6mm I think, mine was missing a lot so I regapped to 0.5mm and it's fine now. Got to be worth a try for the price of a cheap feeler gauge.
Old 27-11-2012, 11:21 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Hi,
If the ignition system is fine they will run at 0.7mm, but if its not quite up to scratch, carefully re-gap (extremely carefully if the are iridiums) them to 0.6mm and try again.
Old 27-11-2012, 11:45 AM
BIL N KEL

Cheers I'll measure them and try 0.6mm when I get in
Old 27-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Cossie92
Cossie newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had Bosch plugs with 0.7 or 0.8 mm gap in my Cossie and it didn't work very well on boost... It's only running stage 2 on stock T3 and it would misfire when it came to full boost. Now I have Densos with 0.4 or 0.5 mm gaps and it works perfectly. Haven't tested the Bosch plugs with smaller gap though...
Old 27-11-2012, 02:39 PM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Extingish all the cheap/simple options before going down the engine loom route, I had a similar thing with my car, in the death it turned out to be the engine loom,

look at the rev counter when the miss occurs, if its jumping around and going skyward it could well be the engine loom

Luciano
Old 27-11-2012, 04:00 PM
BIL N KEL

Originally Posted by charlie luciano
Extingish all the cheap/simple options before going down the engine loom route, I had a similar thing with my car, in the death it turned out to be the engine loom,

look at the rev counter when the miss occurs, if its jumping around and going skyward it could well be the engine loom

Luciano
My rev counter is a touch temperamental lol some times have to give the top of the dash a "tap" while driving as it stops working every now and then lol I have a aftermarket rev counter which came out of my cousins kit car but when I went to fit it in the dash cluster I realised it was going to be a pain in the arse and just put my dials back in
Old 27-11-2012, 04:18 PM
Paul_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

If it's a 4x4 check and clean the 3 wiring loom connections that sit behind the head.
Old 27-11-2012, 06:21 PM
BIL N KEL

It's 2wd mate! Actually I found out at the weekend that its only one wheel drive lol time for a new LSD I think
Old 27-11-2012, 07:15 PM
paddy heffernan
heffo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My cossie was like that for a year it nearly drove me mad I changed everything .all sensors ,cap and dizzy ,leads ,ignition amp .ecu .and it eventually came down to plug gap !
Old 02-12-2012, 10:12 PM
BIL N KEL

I've set the gaps to 0.6mm and it seems ok now. The gap was quite abit larger than .6 too! Probably about 1mm. I'll take it for a run after work tomorrow and try it out make sure it's fixed it
Old 03-12-2012, 04:42 PM
dissmalrs
Regular Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

glad this came up mine has started doing this as well but i have wasted spark on mine is there any difference in plugs and gap with wasted spark

it was fine untill i left it sitting fro a month then moved the car to a new garage an al of a sudden is started