Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Cosworth Coilover springs

Search this Thread

Old 28-09-2012, 12:49 PM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Cosworth Coilover springs

Well that’s me baffled, looking for input and advice regarding spring rates for a Cosworth, mainly 3dr.

I have spoken to Faulkner Springs and had a long conversion over the phone and pretty much head is battered now.

Some of the information that was given was only based on the actual spring as they don't set car's up etc they can't comment on those aspect's.

I currently have this set which doesn't work for me due to the wheels being too wide on the rear so i have to try and find a compromise between spring travel and damper setting which is leaving me with a setup that isn't ideal - although i wouldn't say the car is unsafe at speed i have never had any issues in the past but i would like to get a little more comport but good enough to handle this at full chat and not dragging the arse end on the tyres

Originally Posted by GGR
GHA Kit has Front 350lb 10" spring, rear 225lb 12" spring
And the Gold kit has Front 400lb 8" spring, rear 225lb 12" spring
Jay advised a progressive spring for mine

Originally Posted by Jay
225lb rear progressive to 350 so harder the squat the poundage increase and front 350 progressed to 450
What Jay suggested sounds good but the other aspects of getting a set of springs designed as commented by Faulkner Springs i need to get the car loaded with as many passengers as i would normally carry and a full tank of fuel. Then spring length plus available travel - he then went on to helper spring and different rate, touring cars, ariel atoms and that’s me completely blown out the water

Just wanted to hear what others have opted for and how they work for them as i know some on here have a really good knowledge of suspension geometry and like.

Old 28-09-2012, 04:53 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd suggest a chat with Mike Rainbird Chris , he's quite clued up on that side of things.
Old 28-09-2012, 05:47 PM
B13 JUS
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

chris i'm sure the helper spring is only there to take up the slack of the main spring when you lower the car down. they are a low poundage spring and just squeeze flat.
when i had them fitted it was because when i jacked my car up i come move the main spring up and down and was'nt sitting the the seats correct for when i dropped it down again.
Old 28-09-2012, 07:03 PM
Ade500
Fixing Fords

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by B13 JUS
chris i'm sure the helper spring is only there to take up the slack of the main spring when you lower the car down. they are a low poundage spring and just squeeze flat.
when i had them fitted it was because when i jacked my car up i come move the main spring up and down and was'nt sitting the the seats correct for when i dropped it down again.
Yep I agree my rear springs would be loose or dislocated when I jacked it up, it can also be an mot point so it's worth fitting them.

I have golds on mine and when i ordered them I told them it was for mainly fast road and the springs they supplied seem fine for me. I started off on the softest setting and kept clicking up one click at a time until it firmed up ( not many though ) . I do think the fronts had a label on with 350 I made some notes in case they where not right, I will have a look and see if I can find them.
Old 28-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by KSA-Cossie
I'd suggest a chat with Mike Rainbird Chris , he's quite clued up on that side of things.
Really a bayhoo sprung koni that not progressive and tramps to death on a good spec cossie let alone all the stupid geometry set changes coupled in id rather have advice on knitting from mike

Originally Posted by BRAMMER
Well that’s me baffled, looking for input and advice regarding spring rates for a Cosworth, mainly 3dr.

I have spoken to Faulkner Springs and had a long conversion over the phone and pretty much head is battered now.

Some of the information that was given was only based on the actual spring as they don't set car's up etc they can't comment on those aspect's.

I currently have this set which doesn't work for me due to the wheels being too wide on the rear so i have to try and find a compromise between spring travel and damper setting which is leaving me with a setup that isn't ideal - although i wouldn't say the car is unsafe at speed i have never had any issues in the past but i would like to get a little more comport but good enough to handle this at full chat and not dragging the arse end on the tyres

Jay advised a progressive spring for mine

What Jay suggested sounds good but the other aspects of getting a set of springs designed as commented by Faulkner Springs i need to get the car loaded with as many passengers as i would normally carry and a full tank of fuel. Then spring length plus available travel - he then went on to helper spring and different rate, touring cars, ariel atoms and that’s me completely blown out the water

Just wanted to hear what others have opted for and how they work for them as i know some on here have a really good knowledge of suspension geometry and like.

well i gave you a base line to work from mate what coilovers is the car on ?

Originally Posted by B13 JUS
you can get a different spring rate for the helper but yes thats really what there for