Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Aircon on sapphire

Search this Thread

Old 16-09-2012, 09:08 PM
johnnycortina
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Aircon on sapphire

My '89 2 wd sapphire looks like it had aircon fitted maybe from new, but subsequently removed by a previous owner. All heater hoses are disconnected, so its a right pain in morning that cannot demist screen with a bit of warm air - so need to get at minimum the interior heater going again. Is the heater radiator the one seen behind the fans as in photo, or is it inside under the dash? There are two pipe ends going through bulkhead on left side of engine. If these are the pipes to reconnect, how are they connected into the engine water pipework?

Last edited by johnnycortina; 16-09-2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 16-09-2012, 09:23 PM
Altratz
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it have an air con pump as the two connections look like the back of the heater matrix to me.
Old 16-09-2012, 09:48 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

A/C was never standard, (although I seem to remember someone saying it was an rare option, but I doubt that was in this country anyway) I would say by your first image it was an addition fitted by a third party company.

The matrix is behind the dash, so it's a dash out job, the feed to it comes from the waterpump, if you look at yours you will find that will have been blocked off, the return is to the head, that has a single hose that runs behind the engine to the inlet side, again you will find this will have been plugged.

I can't work out what that pipe going via the bulkhead is in your third pic though, as that looks like the feed hose lol.

It's worth flushing through one the matrix before fitting new hoses, to remove the crud.

Martin

Last edited by martysmartie; 16-09-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 17-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Marc sierra
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 157 Likes on 143 Posts

Aircon was an option. At first it was an aftermarket set that was fitted by Ford and later it was the original aircon set that was also available on the standard Sierra. My cosworth had the aftermarket set fitted, but as it didn't work anymore I removed most of it. Here are some pictures of the unit behind the dash.

Name:  DSC03491.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  144.6 KB

Name:  DSC03492.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  87.5 KB

The heater hoses come from the heater unit and have nothing to do with the aircon.

The factory aircon install was available very late, I think somewhere in 1991. For cars that have it the bulk head is different. You can see how everything is installed in the project thread of my 24v sapphire, as I retrofitted the whole aircon set a while ago.

https://passionford.com/forum/restor...w-2-9-24v.html
Old 17-09-2012, 12:08 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

factory air con was available from about 85 but that looks like it was an after market set up

what you eed to do is figure out how to get the fan working first, as that's where the problems will occur

plumbing wise you just have to hook up the pipes to the matrix, if you are going to get the dash out it's probably best to check to see if the matrix needs replacing as sitting around with nothing it it may have killed the cores and as soon as you hook it up it will pipp water out into the footwell
Old 17-09-2012, 08:05 PM
johnnycortina
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dojj
factory air con was available from about 85 but that looks like it was an after market set up

what you eed to do is figure out how to get the fan working first, as that's where the problems will occur

plumbing wise you just have to hook up the pipes to the matrix, if you are going to get the dash out it's probably best to check to see if the matrix needs replacing as sitting around with nothing it it may have killed the cores and as soon as you hook it up it will pipp water out into the footwell

Thanks all for help - The fan switch as per photo is there, and fans work. I guess I will get some water into heater matrix - and hope it dont leak.
That photo of dash apart does not look too appealing

Old 17-09-2012, 08:42 PM
jason_nike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 98 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnycortina
Thanks all for help - The fan switch as per photo is there, and fans work. I guess I will get some water into heater matrix - and hope it dont leak.
That photo of dash apart does not look too appealing

Same switch as mine has.
Factory fitted air con, still works cold too
Mine is a 1992 K reg.
Was a rare option tho

Trending Topics

Old 18-09-2012, 03:58 PM
Moonstone Steve.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine is a 89 and had air con, not from factory but dealer fitted as a option.

Steve
Old 19-09-2012, 09:05 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Mine too had factory aircon on a k reg. It's now in the bin.