Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

3 door with saff 2wd front roll bar

Search this Thread

Old 15-07-2012, 09:09 AM
RONNIE AMIS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike1
Hi Ronnie,

It doesn't detail exactly what was changed on the early cap - it just says that Ford recalled 2300 3-door Cosworths made between August 86 and December 86 for 'inspection and modification of certain components used in the cooling system'.

Discovered as "if you drove the car at high engine speeds for prolonged distances ( flat out for 20 miles ) " the PAS fluid could escape out the system as it was pumped around "resulting in severe leakage"

I believe this was discovered as a side effect of investigating the early head gasket problems that plagued the car. They ran post-production high speed testing at the speed bowl in Nardo to try and solve them involving the car being driven flat out for extended periods then shut down without idling.

I'll dig around for more info as I am in touch with the guy that ran the long term magazine test car in Performance Car from new - he might well remember as he likes Fords!

Cheers

Mike
Mike

That could explain exactly what happens with mine. All of my fluid escapes from the centre of the cap. I thought it was the cooler not working correctly.

Thanks
Old 15-07-2012, 01:12 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

my 3 door had the exact problem when i done my 3 door arb easy to get on i really struggled to get it back on to start with but then found they way to do them bolt it all up undo the tcas from the subframe fit arb to body and put arb in both tcas put one tca back into subframe then put the wheel on full lock and pull bottom of wheel in(is alot easy to get someone else to push wheel in all goes to together piece of piss!and had that problem with wheel sitting to close!have you got the big yellow bushes for the arb to body?
Old 15-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Harris.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by mechanic28
my 3 door had the exact problem when i done my 3 door arb easy to get on i really struggled to get it back on to start with but then found they way to do them bolt it all up undo the tcas from the subframe fit arb to body and put arb in both tcas put one tca back into subframe then put the wheel on full lock and pull bottom of wheel in(is alot easy to get someone else to push wheel in all goes to together piece of piss!and had that problem with wheel sitting to close!have you got the big yellow bushes for the arb to body?

I have purple bushes mate , so today ive gone back upto the garage and changed it back to the H13 (standard 3 door) as i couldnt be arsed with cutting about . so took the car out to make sure all was ok and around 4k it has a stutter ,feels like the back end is jumping about??? since the diff mount and rear arb polybushes were fitted . Or could well be a missfire where its all so tight now . Il have to work it out through the week .

Thanks for all the help and advise everyone
Old 15-07-2012, 08:20 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

ah right i just fitted different bushes as the yellow ones were really fat think they are red ones now but cant remember anyway sorted out the wheel problem,would imagine its a misfire prob prob either spark plug,phase sensor or crank sensor
Old 15-07-2012, 08:23 PM
Harris.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yeah mate it will be easier to fix than that bloody roll bar !!!!

It did it a few weeks back and it turned out the crank sensor plug had come loose so il take alook .Theres always things to do on these old girls , then next ive got to see why under real fast heavy braking my rear wheels get tto hot to touch and the fronts are still cold ?

The JOYS of FORDS

Last edited by Harris.; 15-07-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 15-07-2012, 08:31 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Harris.
Yeah mate it will be easier to fix than that bloody roll bar !!!!

It did it a few weeks back and it turned out the crank sensor plug had come loose so il take alook .Theres always things to do on these old girls , then next ive got to see why under real fast heavy braking my rear wheels get tto hot to touch and the fronts are still cold ?

The JOYS of FORDS
trust me mate do it the way i said and u will get her in prob rear calipors starting to seize or the rear pads are stuck in the carrier
Old 15-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Harris.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The roll bar is back on now mate . Used a massive strap etc
Old 15-07-2012, 08:54 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

fair enough lol next time try it that way (if there is a next time lol)
Old 15-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Harris.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Never again mate
Old 15-07-2012, 09:03 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

lol you can never say never again with a cosworth i am sorry to say
Old 15-07-2012, 10:10 PM
Mike1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RONNIE AMIS
Originally Posted by Mike1
Hi Ronnie,

It doesn't detail exactly what was changed on the early cap - it just says that Ford recalled 2300 3-door Cosworths made between August 86 and December 86 for 'inspection and modification of certain components used in the cooling system'.

Discovered as "if you drove the car at high engine speeds for prolonged distances ( flat out for 20 miles ) " the PAS fluid could escape out the system as it was pumped around "resulting in severe leakage"

I believe this was discovered as a side effect of investigating the early head gasket problems that plagued the car. They ran post-production high speed testing at the speed bowl in Nardo to try and solve them involving the car being driven flat out for extended periods then shut down without idling.

I'll dig around for more info as I am in touch with the guy that ran the long term magazine test car in Performance Car from new - he might well remember as he likes Fords!

Cheers

Mike
Mike

That could explain exactly what happens with mine. All of my fluid escapes from the centre of the cap. I thought it was the cooler not working correctly.

Thanks
Bit more info on the PAS fluid leakage Ronnie. First discovered on the pre-prod press launch in Spain and also when performance testing was carried out at the Millbrook bowl for top speed.
Apparently Ford found the high speed Millbrook test was the best place to recreate the problem because of the high steering input for the Millbrook bowl ( being smaller than the Nardo one in Italy where Bill Meade carried out a lot of high speed testing for cooling systems ). The combination of high speed and high steering load produced the highest PAS fluid temps. A new cap design for the reservoir was formulated and offered to German customers ( maybe UK customers were offered it as well ) when they had the head gasket recall. Head gasket failures were 4 times more common in Germany than in the UK ( thought to be because of the higher speeds ....and consequent on/off throttle/thermal shock to the head ) on the early cars which led to an improved Reinz gasket and re-designed head bolts.

Also, more relevant to this thread, the early production 3-doors all came off the production line with the caster at the bottom limit of settings. Rod Mansfield said this gave them a problem ( in conjunction with the 3-door hubs ) of overly sensitive steering. This was highlighted by the press at the launch in Spain.
The Genk production line people were worried about the front wheel hitting the front of the wheelarch so favoured the H13 bar but the longer H14 bar was first made available to German customers in conjunction with the HG, PAS and cooling system changes above. It was a retro-fit with full Ford service approval