Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

changing drive shaft gaitor - how?

Search this Thread

Old 20-04-2004, 09:32 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default changing drive shaft gaitor - how?

the rubber over the flexible joint (is it a proper cv joint?) on the outside of a front driveshaft on my 4x4 has split wide open.

i've got the replacement, and need to fit it tonight. can anyone shed some light onto how the joint comes apart to change it? i have got the proper rubber, not one of them spastic 2 part ones that you join together.

will be doing it at the same time as fitting new front dampers and poly bushes to the arb / tca, so will have the hubs off anyway.

cheeRS
Old 20-04-2004, 11:57 AM
wes
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

All you need is a pair of circlip pliers (ones that open as you grip them). Remove the driveshaft from the car, then remove the metal clips that hold the boot onto the shaft. You can then pull the end off the driveshaft. Then use the circlip pliers to remove the retaining circlip for the spider. Pull this off the shaft, then remove the old boot and install the new one. Assembly is the reversal of removing LOL!
Old 21-04-2004, 08:45 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

cheers wes

yep, it worked exactly like that. quite easy. only bugger was, theboot that i was supplied was completely wrong, so i've got to do it again

never mind, got new dampers and poly arb bushed fitted