Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

who uses their saph cossie everyday?

Search this Thread

Old 14-10-2011, 09:41 AM
cozmeister
More boost Igor!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidglanza
are the cossies that troublesome if used everyday..
alot of head gaskets and bottom ends goin in them..
You're actually more likely to have problems with one that sits in a garage for 360 days a year, and has the nuts thrashed off it during show season right before it sits in standing traffic for two hours waiting to get into a show.

They're the same as with any car: an engine that's not been looked after, or modified by someone with a degree in bodging will always give you more problems than one that's been looked after, and modified by someone that knows what they're doing.
Old 14-10-2011, 12:51 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

are the cossies that troublesome if used everyday..
alot of head gaskets and bottom ends goin in them..
Then it was built incorrectly/inadequate parts needs in the first place for the power you are running! If you have a decent uprated HG and a properly built engine, there are no problems!

Martin
Old 14-10-2011, 01:07 PM
davewilson
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never used my Sapphire Cosworth as an every day driver,but it has had plenty of use in the last 16years of ownership. Its a flint grey Rouse Sport 304R. It still runs really well.I also have a MiniCooper S and a Porsche Carrera,996.Neither are quicker than the Cossie.!!!!!!!!!!
Old 14-10-2011, 01:36 PM
carl/saff
SIERRA RS 4X4 COSWORTH

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by davewilson
I have never used my Sapphire Cosworth as an every day driver,but it has had plenty of use in the last 16years of ownership. Its a flint grey Rouse Sport 304R. It still runs really well.I also have a MiniCooper S and a Porsche Carrera,996.Neither are quicker than the Cossie.!!!!!!!!!!
Cant beat a Rouse as a quick road car
Old 14-10-2011, 02:38 PM
davidglanza

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by martysmartie
Then it was built incorrectly/inadequate parts needs in the first place for the power you are running! If you have a decent uprated HG and a properly built engine, there are no problems!

Martin
im not on about my cosworth as i know longer have 1 just by reading the posts on the first page is the reason i said they sound very troublesom if used everyday
Old 14-10-2011, 05:13 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

im not on about my cosworth as i know longer have 1 just by reading the posts on the first page is the reason i said they sound very troublesom if used everyday
Not really, why woulden't they be? I don't use mine daily as it's a show car, however this show season I have covered a couple of thousand miles (Quite literally) without any mechanical problems, whilst passing other broken down modern cars.

The problem is with the "Unreliable ones" are the owners, as with any high peformance car, they typically get meddled with by ill minded people who don't know what they are doing, thats what causes the problems!

Martin
Old 14-10-2011, 05:17 PM
cozmeister
More boost Igor!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davewilson

Like it! welcome to passionford
Old 15-10-2011, 10:43 PM
BIL N KEL
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Ive used a cossie everyday for the last 5yrs. When I bought my White saff I think the previous owner was a bodger as the first 6 months was spent repairing it. Then for 3 1/2 yrs I had no real major problems only sensors and plugs packing up. I then reshelled it into a mercury grey shell last winter and had the engined freshened up and spec changed. I've used it everyday since 3rd march and it's only been off the road 1 day since and that was because the clutch cable snapped
Old 23-09-2014, 01:48 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

I'm starting to get pissed off my my saff sitting for so long, weeks on end at times without use, I might press it into daily duties again. I spend money on it for it to just sit there and waste away, compete waste of money IMO. I keep thinking I can't take it with me when I'm gone so may as well use it
Old 23-09-2014, 02:23 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Not used my 3dr since Ford Fair lol

Steve
Old 23-09-2014, 02:34 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by cossie4i+
Not used my 3dr since Ford Fair lol Steve
Blimey lol. Though to be fair mines not a show worthy car, the paintworks crap so I'm not that worried about using it, it's never been welded and I've always kept it waxoyled so should be ok
Old 23-09-2014, 02:36 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by gcfcos
Blimey lol. Though to be fair mines not a show worthy car, the paintworks crap so I'm not that worried about using it, it's never been welded and I've always kept it waxoyled so should be ok
Mine is far from perfect.

Im just getting old and don't feel the need to just go for a drive lol + it's soooo slow it's boring

Steve
Old 23-09-2014, 02:39 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by cossie4i+
Mine is far from perfect. Im just getting old and don't feel the need to just go for a drive lol + it's soooo slow it's boring Steve
Yeah I never feel the need to just " go out for a drive " anymore as it just seems like burning petrol for nothing hence why I may start using it everyday again to actually use the bugger lol
Old 23-09-2014, 03:21 PM
AJC
10K+ Poster!!

Received 83 Likes on 73 Posts

not used either for over 2 years, however next year they'll both be on the road and getting used a lot

when the saff is on the road, i tend to use it a lot
Old 02-10-2014, 08:45 PM
ram
Has a large member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cozmeister
I've used mine practically every day since I got it in 2003. In that time it's never been able to win a concourse competition, lived outside in the British weather, and it's taken me literally thousands of miles (around 45,000).

It's been out in the snow and ice - drove all the way from Manchester to Norfolk in the snow a few years ago, and dodged a few falling branches in the Norfolk outback!

It's transported people, food, car parts, animals, tree stumps, and all sorts, and is still around to tell the tale. It's had a few little "consumable" problems in that time, but nothing unexpected (maybe with exception of the pattern fuel tank that shat its pants).

The driver's bolster was worn through when I got it, and it's still pretty much the same, the leather's not exactly top notch, and the boot carpet's missing. It's had one rear arch replaced, and the other's just starting to go now. The bumpers aren't straight (yes, both of them are wonky), the bonnet's a different shade of blue because it was painted next to a corn field, and the boot leaks in heavy rain.

But I love it to bits.
Love reading stuff like this
Old 02-10-2014, 09:00 PM
ram
Has a large member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ive had cossies for about 6 years now. always had a second daily runner for comfort of commuting at least 50 miles a day. but in spring, summer and autumn i use it as a daily when i can. till i get fed up of the noise and shove it in the garage for a few weeks lol.

Nothing better than sitting in 7.30am commuter traffic with all the suits in their audi's and beemers stinking out with the smell of petrol and oil lol.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:44 AM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by ram
ive had cossies for about 6 years now. always had a second daily runner for comfort of commuting at least 50 miles a day. but in spring, summer and autumn i use it as a daily when i can. till i get fed up of the noise and shove it in the garage for a few weeks lol. Nothing better than sitting in 7.30am commuter traffic with all the suits in their audi's and beemers stinking out with the smell of petrol and oil lol.
Lol awesome. If I'm sat in loadsa traffic the clutch is so stiff my bloody leg goes dead after a while and nearly end up into the car in front when my leg slips off the clutch lol!
Old 03-10-2014, 07:45 AM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by ram
Love reading stuff like this
Yeah that's gotta be the best description ever lol
Old 03-10-2014, 08:28 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 395 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by gcfcos
Lol awesome. If I'm sat in loadsa traffic the clutch is so stiff my bloody leg goes dead after a while and nearly end up into the car in front when my leg slips off the clutch lol!
You need the hydraulic clutch conversion urgently !! Best thing you can do, it makes such a difference, much lighter and much better clutch control. I have had my 2wd Sapphire for 20 years, its done 104,00 miles ,never failed an MOT, the only time it let me down was when the alternator went crazy and was putting out a massive overcharge and cooked the battery. I do use it even in Winter when its a sunny cold day but have to admit the windscreen wipers very rarely get used! I think if you use it as a daily driver the dreaded rust will eventually get a grip regardless of waxoyle etc.
I have had more problems with my Renault Laguna 2.0 estate in 2 years, which has only done 42,000 miles than I have with my Sapphire in 20 years!

Last edited by cossynut2; 03-10-2014 at 08:47 AM. Reason: left a bit out
Old 03-10-2014, 10:45 AM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by cossynut2
You need the hydraulic clutch conversion urgently !! Best thing you can do, it makes such a difference, much lighter and much better clutch control. I have had my 2wd Sapphire for 20 years, its done 104,00 miles ,never failed an MOT, the only time it let me down was when the alternator went crazy and was putting out a massive overcharge and cooked the battery. I do use it even in Winter when its a sunny cold day but have to admit the windscreen wipers very rarely get used! I think if you use it as a daily driver the dreaded rust will eventually get a grip regardless of waxoyle etc. I have had more problems with my Renault Laguna 2.0 estate in 2 years, which has only done 42,000 miles than I have with my Sapphire in 20 years!
Yeah I'm gonna make my own hydraulic clutch conversion, got a slave cylinder and just got to drill and tap the bell housing to fit it and then run the pipes to a master cylinder off the clutch pedal
Old 03-10-2014, 11:30 AM
IveGotaCosworth
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im going to try and use my as much as possible, She's nearly back on the road after a two year rebuild, not really running a lot of power as I want her to be reliable. I think you do need to use them as much as you can to appreciate the investment you have in them.
I have friends who spend thousands every year on snow boarding holidays I just choose to spend my money on cars. You would only used the money on some other type of pass time/hobby.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:40 AM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by IveGotaCosworth
Im going to try and use my as much as possible, She's nearly back on the road after a two year rebuild, not really running a lot of power as I want her to be reliable. I think you do need to use them as much as you can to appreciate the investment you have in them. I have friends who spend thousands every year on snow boarding holidays I just choose to spend my money on cars. You would only used the money on some other type of pass time/hobby.
This is true, u only live once and a hobby is fairly boring if it's gonna sit there all the time. I can understand not using them in the snow or rain but some it's in our rs club won't even use there washers or wipers cause it might mark the screen lol :-( one guy in the club we were following back from a show when it was raining wouldn't use the wipers on his escos even though it was torrential. Next time it happened he didn't have much choice and when he needed to use them they broke cause they never been used lol :-( beyond me really
Old 04-10-2014, 11:07 AM
jc1989rs
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use my girl everyday since I got her in July. My dream car so love using her, who cares about petrol prices! She's totally standard apart from a vent to atmosphere dump and SS exhaust. Rebuilding the head in November due to valve guides and oil seals thinking about putting a stage one chip in and -31 actuator just to giver her a little more surprise factor!
Old 04-10-2014, 07:24 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by jc1989rs
I use my girl everyday since I got her in July. My dream car so love using her, who cares about petrol prices! She's totally standard apart from a vent to atmosphere dump and SS exhaust. Rebuilding the head in November due to valve guides and oil seals thinking about putting a stage one chip in and -31 actuator just to giver her a little more surprise factor!
Nice one when I did stage one on my car totally transformed it.