Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Are there differences between the left hand and right hand engine mounts on a 3dr?

Search this Thread

Old 25-03-2011, 06:49 PM
g10ens
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are there differences between the left hand and right hand engine mounts on a 3dr?

Should the two engine mounts be the same as each other or different? Im talking about the two rubber/steel mounts that the aluminium arms from the block sit on.
I bought some second hand ones off ebay and they are both the same part number (88TF-6038-AB) but i can only get the drivers side to fit correctly. They both bolt to the steel crossmember with no problems but when i go to fit the aluminium arms over the threaded stud from the engine mount the passenger side wont sit down properly as the small peg which sticks up from the engine mount doesnt line up with the small location hole in the aluminium arm. Also in the box with the mounts there was a small teardrop shaped metal plate with a hole in it and a small peg sticking up, this fits over the threaded stud from the engine mount and the peg fits into the location hole in the passenger side aluminium arm so should that be used there or should there be one of these plates for both sides to keep the engine sitting level?
Ive looked at photos on ebay of genuine and uprated mounts and from what i can see the mounts are the same for each side so i cant understand why im having problems.
can anyone help?
Old 25-03-2011, 08:05 PM
steventoon
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll have a look tomorrow evening on microcat mate. I can't do it now as my disc isn't at the same place as me at the moment. I'm sure from memory that both are the same. The nearside I'm sure slots into the teardrop metal bit you describe. I can photograph mine tomorrow if it helps.

Steve
Old 25-03-2011, 08:59 PM
g10ens
Regular Contributor

Thanks, any help will be appreciated. The only thing I can see to do at the moment is to chop the peg off of the mount I'm using on the passenger side to stop it fouling on the aluminium arm, which obviously isn't the right thing to do!
Old 26-03-2011, 10:05 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

100% the SAME mount each side, the arms on the engine are different, the metal plate goes into the arm on the nearside, the peg on the mount doesn't slot into anything.
I did mine on thursday, I'd mistakenly put the arms on the wrong sides!!
Min'e a 2wd sapphy but same mounts.
tabetha

Last edited by tabetha; 26-03-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 26-03-2011, 02:50 PM
g10ens
Regular Contributor

Thanks tabetha. I've had another look and if I rotate the mount on the passenger side I can get it into a position where the peg doesn't foul on the aluminium arm but also doesn't fit into the location hole so is that the correct way to fit it?
Just seems strange to have the peg just doing nothing and to insert a plate on just one side but if that's how it should be then that's how I'll put it.
Old 26-03-2011, 07:46 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

The reason for the peg being on both mounts is purely down to cost, it costs less to make 1 mount that can do both sides than to make one without a peg that doesn't get in the way anyway, it MAY be that ford did two to start with ?, I don't know, but that is defo the correct way, as used on mine.
tabetha
Old 27-03-2011, 06:37 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

I checked mine today whilst doing some jobs on the car, the nearside mount is the one with the metal plate on the actual mounting arm, and this faces forwards, the peg on mine is facing rearwards, but all fitting perfect, even with the engine mount heat shield on the offside mount.
tabetha
Old 27-03-2011, 09:43 PM
g10ens
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the info. When you say the metal plate is on the mounting arm i assume you mean it is sandwiched between the steel/rubber mount and the aluminium arm?
Also what is this heatshield you mention? I'll have to look through my boxes of bits and see if I've got it anywhere, I dont recall having seen one
Old 28-03-2011, 06:30 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

The nearside arm has a small metal teardrop shaped plate that also has a peg in it, this goes into the arm, and as you say is sandwiched between the arm and mount.
The heat shield is a part I made in about 10 minutes just to keep some heat from the turbo/exhaust off the mount so as not to cook it, not a std part, sorry for the confusion.
tabetha